Smoked salmon / lox recipe - Good for your lipids

Slartibartfast

Swollen Member
Trusted Member
Hey everyone, I got my bloods this morning after a 16 week run of some reasonable amounts of AAS, and I'm always a little worried about the lipids. This time through I was consuming quite a lot more salmon, mackerel, and sardines. Mostly salmon though. My lipids, unlike other times, were perfectly within a healthy range for a change. I think the fish makes a big difference. So, here's a simple recipe for making your own lox.

Some people call it smoked salmon, but it's not, it's just cured. You can throw this in a smoker, and then you have Nova Lox, but this is the stuff you usually get on a bagel with cream cheese etc. Use trout / steelhead / Arctic char, etc for variations.

It's this simple. Get some fish. Weigh out equal amounts of kosher (or sea salt) and sugar. Dill is traditional, but feel free to add any herb you want, or none. Black pepper is good, and some people add grated beets for a more dramatic colour and subtle flavour. I use minced ghost peppers because I'm at war with my colon.

If you're not familiar with kosher salt, it's mostly used in cooking because it has no iodine and is therefore a more pure tasting salt.

Lox1.jpg

Pack your fish (skin on) with the salt/sugar/herb mix:
Lox2.jpg

Leave it for 3-5 days. Flip the fillets around every day or two to make sure they are in contact with the cure water. It will draw out quite a bit of liquid from the fish. I like the firmer 5 day cure. Rinse it and slice it thin, then pack it into foodsaver vacuum sealer bags and freeze in 200 g (or whatever) amounts. That's it.

This is stuff from this morning that was ready to eat or package up:
Salmon1.jpg

So, if you like salmon, and good lipids, this is an easy way to have some stuff on hand that doesn't require any real prep once it's ready. Add it to eggs, sandwiches, pastas, salads, etc.

Lox4.jpg

Today's breakfast: egg white omlette (mushrooms and feta) with a bagel and the newly made salmon.

Salmon2.jpg

Cheers everyone. 🐟🐟

Good post. Do fish and chips count? That is all the fish I eat now unless I am in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick.
Salmon fish and chips is pretty awesome if you ever find it. Most place just use haddock or cod, but the salmon is extra decadent.

I haven't had french fries in so long........😞 ....GREAT. NOW I WANT FISH AND CHIPS, BUT THE CHIPS ARE POUTINE

Salmon fish and chips is pretty awesome if you ever find it. Most place just use haddock or cod, but the salmon is extra decadent.

I haven't had french fries in so long........😞 ....GREAT. NOW I WANT FISH AND CHIPS, BUT THE CHIPS ARE POUTINE
Oops. Sorry.
Wifey and I stopped in a small restaurant in Sheet Harbour during one trip to NS and got salmon fish and chips, and it was far beyond and above anything else. Next summer again for sure.

I used to make this for my cat. He loved cold smoked salmon, but back then I didn’t enjoy paying $45 a pound.

I would use cure, salt and California ham spice (which has brown sugar, cloves and a few other spices).

I would salt it like you do and leave it in the cooler for a week pouring out the water, then lay it out on racks to dry for a few more days in the heat until rubbery.

Then slice and vac.

My cat would make his insane chirping noise and shake when I would bring it home because he got so excited. He could smell it even in vac packaging, just the residue on the outside of the bag was enough, lol.

I personally hate fish, but make a hot smoked version for customers, we sell about 60 lbs of it a week.

I like my meat to have 4 legs, lol.

But that cat was special. When we got him he was the runt, he was so small, we had 3 other cats and would keep an eye on him because we were worried he would get hurt.

He sat on my lap at dinner for 11 years, ate what I ate for dinner, and I went thru a really hot food phase, that cat could eat fire, lol. My stepson would sometimes leave the table because he couldn’t handle how hot it was, but the cat enjoyed it, lol.

He was also strange because he wouldn’t leave when people would party, he would be right there milking the attention, and if someone lit a joint he would meow to have it blown in his face. He would also walk around with sunglasses on, and as a party joke, you could put an unlit cigerette in his lips and he would walk around looking cool getting pats With sunglasses on a cigerette hanging out of his mouth. BTW, don’t judge, I was in my early 20’s, lol.

He would also snuggle me between my arms under the blankets at night. More than once I would wake up with him between my wife and I, his head and front paws on her and his ass on my face, tail over my head. Half asleep I would be like, oh this feels fuzzy, then realize it was his ass, by feeling for the tail. He was a little bastard.

He also like to be vacuumed.

Sorry for the derail, smoked salmon got me thinking of this.

Lol. That's great.

I had a super friendly, calm quiet cat. Never meowed. The only time he would make noise was if you would feed him ham. Then he would growl the entire time if you were anywhere near him. Like growling while chewing and swallowing the whole time.
It was the stupidest sounding threatening noise ever.

I used to make this for my cat. He loved cold smoked salmon, but back then I didn’t enjoy paying $45 a pound.

I would use cure, salt and California ham spice (which has brown sugar, cloves and a few other spices).

I would salt it like you do and leave it in the cooler for a week pouring out the water, then lay it out on racks to dry for a few more days in the heat until rubbery.

Then slice and vac.

My cat would make his insane chirping noise and shake when I would bring it home because he got so excited. He could smell it even in vac packaging, just the residue on the outside of the bag was enough, lol.

I personally hate fish, but make a hot smoked version for customers, we sell about 60 lbs of it a week.

I like my meat to have 4 legs, lol.

But that cat was special. When we got him he was the runt, he was so small, we had 3 other cats and would keep an eye on him because we were worried he would get hurt.

He sat on my lap at dinner for 11 years, ate what I ate for dinner, and I went thru a really hot food phase, that cat could eat fire, lol. My stepson would sometimes leave the table because he couldn’t handle how hot it was, but the cat enjoyed it, lol.

He was also strange because he wouldn’t leave when people would party, he would be right there milking the attention, and if someone lit a joint he would meow to have it blown in his face. He would also walk around with sunglasses on, and as a party joke, you could put an unlit cigerette in his lips and he would walk around looking cool getting pats With sunglasses on a cigerette hanging out of his mouth. BTW, don’t judge, I was in my early 20’s, lol.

He would also snuggle me between my arms under the blankets at night. More than once I would wake up with him between my wife and I, his head and front paws on her and his ass on my face, tail over my head. Half asleep I would be like, oh this feels fuzzy, then realize it was his ass, by feeling for the tail. He was a little bastard.

He also like to be vacuumed.

Sorry for the derail, smoked salmon got me thinking of this.
any photos of the little guy?

any photos of the little guy?
Yeah, and now to really derail the thread, god these pics are like 20+ years old.
243897D5-FB31-402F-B318-4029B9EEC7EF.jpeg He got blacker as time went on, god I was young and lean, I think I was 24 then. I didn’t lift, no time was just starting my business.
41A2E371-B23F-4BA3-847C-DC44E9A70D73.jpeg He loved potato chips
AC81013B-4922-4FE6-B064-6208E85A8721.jpeg we had a mating pair of Water Dragons and I let them out of the cage to roam
FA7AEC27-6224-4BD0-A743-09DBBF9C466B.jpeg Cigerette in his mouth, I know it looks like he’s holding him, that just the way my stepson held things, he had long weird fingers, lol
E16E8FE6-879F-4F1B-AC69-21EF9152B3C3.jpeg My wife loved to torture them.
FE3A523A-C343-491F-A270-39CD708FD9B0.jpeg

I had to go thru real old school photo albums to find these nuggets.

Derail over, lol.

Last edited: