Question for truck guys..

Couple things.

1) I'd never do a lift kit... I bought a truck that had a levelling kit (makes the front sit as high as the back) and that was enough for me.. It changes the angle of all the front end steering/axles etc. That angle change wears everything a lot faster..

Do you really need the lift kit? I know they look cool, but if you don't need it, I'd take it off..

I take my trucks in some awful places, sand, mud, snow etc.. I've learned a good set of tires is much more valuable than a lift kit.. I usually put on a really good set of the biggest tires I can that don't rub or barely rub. And I've never had a problem going where I want to go. And to be honest, if theres a place I can't take my truck, I have no business trying lol.. I'll use the ATV instead.

2) I know everyone isn't in the same position as me and everyone is allowed to spend their money as they want, but I won't pay more than 25k for a truck. Obviouslty I buy used, but if you can find a way next time you need a vehicle, get something cheap and even better if you can afford to pay cash.. start putting 300-500$ away each month right now so when you need a vehcile, you can buy cash.

Back to your issue, as everyone has said your engine and lift kit are not connected problems.. I'm guessing the receptionist is confused.. She might have 2 customers quotes in her hand and didn't' realize they were not the same truck??? I'd call back and ask to speak to the mechanic or even stop by and speak to them face to face because your quoted issues make no sense.
I really appreciate the extra height. It might be as plausible as I think but where I live there's fatalities from moose collisions all the time. Most of them are smaller vehicles either totaled or the moose when through the windshield and into the cab. These things are fucking huge, I'm talking like 6.5 to 7 feet. Hitting the engine block vs coming through the windshield might save your life. But I wouldn't buy a lift for this reason I just justify the use of a big truck for family safety. I even make my wife drive it all winter as she also takes the kids to day care and does most errands.

It's high enough I can't park in most underground garages so it's a pain sometimes. Next vehicle I'll probably go without

I think she was mistaken about the lift on the truck and meant camshaft lifters, would that make more sense? I'm not a mechanic but she just said your lift is causing it and it's 8 out of the 16 lifters
The lift kit won't cause premature cam lifter failure but a high lift cam might wear faster if the springs weren't matched properly. What truck and engine are we talking about? If the lifters are bad the cam is probably fucked but it's not likely a 20k fix unless you need a new engine.

I really appreciate the extra height. It might be as plausible as I think but where I live there's fatalities from moose collisions all the time. Most of them are smaller vehicles either totaled or the moose when through the windshield and into the cab. These things are fucking huge, I'm talking like 6.5 to 7 feet. Hitting the engine block vs coming through the windshield might save your life. But I wouldn't buy a lift for this reason I just justify the use of a big truck for family safety. I even make my wife drive it all winter as she also takes the kids to day care and does most errands.

I live in a very moosy area as well.. shit piles of deer everywhere..

The lift kit won't cause premature cam lifter failure but a high lift cam might wear faster if the springs weren't matched properly. What truck and engine are we talking about? If the lifters are bad the cam is probably fucked but it's not likely a 20k fix unless you need a new engine.
Sierra 1500 all terrain. 5.3L v8

I live in a very moosy area as well.. shit piles of deer everywhere..
I've almost hit them probably 20 times, I know multiple people who've totaled cars and I even know a few people who died hitting them. It's bad in Northern ontario and there's no highway fences like there is on the 400 etc

for people who've never seen moose up close, there a lot bigger and heavier then horses. They can get up to around 1200 lbs

Sierra 1500 all terrain. 5.3L v8
No way a cam and lifter set is 20k installed. These are roller lifters so wear is unusual but if it has a high lift cam it could if it had the wrong valve springs but only one bank sounds odd to me. Dos it have a loud ticking or rattle noise at idle?

No way a cam and lifter set is 20k installed. These are roller lifters so wear is unusual but if it has a high lift cam it could if it had the wrong valve springs but only one bank sounds odd to me. Dos it have a loud ticking or rattle noise at idle?
Yea it was ticking when I took it in, the said the pushrod could be possibly bent but didnt clarify, when I drove home it wasn't ticking anymore

for people who've never seen moose up close, there a lot bigger and heavier then horses. They can get up to around 1200 lbs
I got stuck behind one on the highway once, I was coming off hwy 14 on to hwy 21 outside of Sherwood Park and the fucking moose takes the off ramp and was stuck on it because of the railings on the side.
I was late for school and was pissed because I had to drive slowly behind it as it trotted along down the road till it got past the railings, lol.

I lived way out past Elk Island Park, first time I had seen a moose and couldn't believe how big it was, trotting along, lips flapping, lol.

Always saw lots of deer, they would come down and lick the salt off my car numerous times in the winter.

Whatever that dealer is trying to call this theyre screwing you over. Take your truck elsewhere. If you say you have a friend who is a mechanic that's where you go.

Next bit of advice is what no one ever wants to hear. If your truck is your daily driver leave it stock, no mods. Its better for longevity, service/repair, and resale.

If it's a secondary toy and you have deep pockets to throw at it then go nuts, but don't expect any of that $ back if you ever try to sell it.

I was in the automotive industry long enough to learn this lesson a few times over.

Jegs will sell you at stage 3 383 stroker 650 hp fully warranted for a year for 12000 whoever is giving you this information and prices is an absolute crock!

Am rebuilding that now top to bottom all parts from Molly and scat block is being fully machined bored .40 over forged rods lefters pistons roller cam double roller timeing gear , heads portered hydraulic lefters all new crank and cam bearings high pressure oil pump and it’s not gunna cost anywhere near 14 grand !!!

Attachments

• IMG_3188.png
    IMG_3188.png
    730.5 KB · Views: 2
They quoted around 14000 plus tax, but that's probably worse case scenario.
WTF is going on here?? A full blown rebuilt installed is much less that that. Depending on year a scrap yard may have one.

If they give you a written estimate of exactly what is wrong post it and someone can find the standard book hours for the job and cost of parts.

WTF is going on here?? A full blown rebuilt installed is much less that that. Depending on year a scrap yard may have one.

If they give you a written estimate of exactly what is wrong post it and someone can find the standard book hours for the job and cost of parts.
I love to see it myself

I'll see if my wife's got it. She's the one who took it in. That's another reason why there's such a bad miscommunication going on. I wasn't there to ask the questions I just got her to ask