Picking an engagement ring

mindovermatter2

Trusted Member
Any tips on Picking an engagement ring ?
How much you should spend?
10k, 14k, 18k?
Center stone karat?
Total ring karat?

Princess cut with white gold is all the rage right now.
I spent $3500 and got a VERY nice ring + band. I negotiated like hell thou.
It was probably .35 center karat, and lots total karat but honestly don't remember.
Everyone thought it was WAY more expensive than it actually was. All her friends were in complete shock and awe. But actual price was my secret lol.

Engagement didn't last. ...

Princess cut with white gold is all the rage right now.
I spent $3500 and got a VERY nice ring + band. I negotiated like hell thou.
It was probably .35 center karat, and lots total karat but honestly don't remember.
Everyone thought it was WAY more expensive than it actually was. All her friends were in complete shock and awe. But actual price was my secret lol.

Engagement didn't last. ...
Sorry to hear it didn’t last.
Thank you for the information.

When I proposed I didn't have a ring. I was straight up about it that I wanted her to pick the ring she wanted... if she said yes. I wasn't going to spend a red cent unless I knew it was a done deal.

For a stone we went to a diamond distributor that we got an in with from a family friend. Exact scenario like the opening of the movie Snatch, but we didn't rob the place. Instead they just brought out bags of stones and dropped them on her hand one by one until we found the perfect one. We got a Canadian stone, hearts and arrows cut, I can't remember the size.

Then she picked a Tiffany design and I got it custom made at a local jeweler that has some talent. You will save a boat load this way, and it will be unique.

I paid 8k... the Tiffany version was 60k, and my wife's ring has a much nicer stone.

Any tips on Picking an engagement ring ?
How much you should spend?
10k, 14k, 18k?
Center stone karat?
Total ring karat?

Before you even decide anything or even look at rings, educate yourself on diamonds BIG TIME..

I spent a month educating myself on diamonds before buying my wife's engagement ring. It's not difficult to determine if a diamond is over price or priced right once you educate yourself.

When you learn about diamonds, you also learn about characteristics that increase or decrease a diamonds price. There's charateristics I learned about that to me, didn't affect the outward appearance of the diamond so I decided not to pay extra for those. I got a diamond that to me (and eeyrone who saw the ring) looked amazing, but I got it for less money than another diamond that costs more but was compareble in size, colour, shape etc..

When I went to buy her ring, I drove to the big city and hit up about 8 jewlery stores. I looked at every ring in the size and tyle I wanted and then narrowed it down to a couple rings and went back and looked and narrowed it down to one. I sincerily belief I bought the best ring for the best price in that big city on that day and the saleman was blown away by my knowledge and said from his store, I picked out the best value.. He even tried to sell me another ring and listed off its qualites and I said "why would I pay for that specific charateristic on that speicfic cut when it will show no outwardly appearance".. he laughed and said I was right..

The best advide is honstly educate yourself so you don't get hosed.

The WORST place to go is Peoples Jewlers.. I swear I knew more then the salesman by far..

OTher than that, try to get an idea of the ring your gf wants.. I knew my future wife wanted white gold, single stone princess cut.. For a couple years I would occasioanlly ask sublte questions to get this info.. like when a mutual friend got engaged I woudl say "her ring is made up of a bunch of litle diamonds.. I think the rings with a single bigger diamond look a lot better".. she agreed, but ever knew I was plannign for the future.

Other advice... don't buy a gun the same day you buy her engagement ring.

The day I bought her ring I stopped at the sport goods store and picked up a new rifle for myself.. I grew to hate that rifle.. poor accurary, heavy, stock sucks for fit etc.. I so badly want to sell it, but I don't because it holds lots of sentimental value because when I was driving home from buying the ring I was so friggin happy that I impulse bough the gun. The gun reminds me of how much she made me happy that I decided to marry her.

Other info..

most women now prefer white gold..
Most women do prefer single stone usually princess cut.
Simple is classy and timeless.

Don't go bankrupt, but I beleive the ring should show you how much you care. If you make 100K a year and spend 2K on a ring, she ain't gonna feel special. But if you make 50k a year and spend 3K on a ring, she will know you care.. This is just my opinion and all women are different. I have a friend who makes over 150K a year and the ring he bought was about 1500$ and she loved it and didn;t want an expensive one anways.

I like unique things. And antique.

My exhusband did a great job. Rose gold with chocolate diamond. Then my wedding band was rose and white diamonds around

Last edited:
Has she given you any hints ?
Seems like solitaire for sure but with a shallow mount as the high rings get caught on everything. Definitely princess or tear drop cut. And dont go to a box store. Their mark up is fucked.
White gold...... yellow is outdated.
14k should be fine as anything higher is soft.

Not on those days but there is a nice park in the area with lots of Christmas lights and and an ice rink. It’s a busy place during this time of the year.
So it’s going to be a public proposal. I’m nervous as fuck.
plan to have a nice day, dinner, skate on the rink then walk the park.. ask someone take a picture and during that time I will pop the question.
Thoughts on this?

The engagement ring I bought my wife cost under 500 bucks. She still wears it today 14 years later. We didnt have alot of money back then, so it was a big deal. I guess the whole "have to spend x amount of dollars to salary for a ring" never made sense to us.

Not on those days but there is a nice park in the area with lots of Christmas lights and and an ice rink. It’s a busy place during this time of the year.
plan to have a nice day, dinner, skate on the rink then walk the park.. ask someone take a picture and during that time I will pop the question.
Thoughts on this?
Sounds pretty good to me. I'm running out of romantic things to do myself but from personal experience , chicks dig that stuff. 4 years ago I took my wife to Tofino and had a woman meet us at a random Cove at Sunset to renew our vows with some new rings. She was pretty happy with that. Couldn't stop crying to hear the vows that I wrote. I guess I'm just a romantic but I'm pretty sure your lady will love the idea that you've come up with. Even if she's shy she'll have to get over herself and live for the moment cuz it won't happen again. Hopefully lol

Thoughts on this?

Make sure she would want a public proposal. The safer choice is not in public.

Also, I wouldn't buy a ring based on a picture. No 2 diamonds are a like. Make sure you see it with your own eyes first.

I promise you the ring in the picture has much higher quality stones than the one you will walk out the door with, but they advertise it as the same ring.

from my experience, steer clear of peoples.. That's like going to Walmart to buy a nice suit....

I got this one I talked them down to 2800$ tax included . Seems like a good deal to me. which sold me was Also 0% interest and 0 down payment for 12 months .

https://www.peoplesjewellers.com/ve...t-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold/p/V-19162031
My wife says she likes it and is pretty. She has great taste when it comes to this stuff.

Some people get really attached to their first ring, my wife was until one day we stumbled into Spence Jewellers drunk 20 years ago and she custom picked a new one.

So don’t freak out too much, you can always change it later on, when you run out of anniversary ideas.

Nice looking ring! Don't worry too much about how grand the proposal is, if you do it in a setting that you both enjoy and is important to both of you - much more important than 'grandiosoness'. Heart remembers emotions, not money.