Patellar Tendon damage

Shrek

Trusted Member
So a couple days ago I stood up from squatting down to pick up a bottle of water after shovelling snow for an hour or so, and on the way up heard a crunch below my right knee and felt pain like someone sticking a knife in below the kneecap, so I dropped to the ground to do a function check, and eventually got up slowly, and since then it's not been a fun ride.

I went to Physio today to get a proper diagnosis as this is new to me and knees are scary to injure. He diagnosed a Patellar Tendon injury, not likely torn, perhaps tendonitis.

Sucks cuz my left knee is my bad one, and has similar issues with soreness and popping, so now both my knees are f-ed

Seems like I can do slow controlled bodyweight squats to failure as long as I'm holding a table to make sure Im stable, but only to parallel, not ass to grass. I can not ride a spin bike, that hurts. Safe to assume most other typical leg excercises are off limit for now, so leg day will now be leg rehab and ab day

I'll get on some GH as that has helped me heal tendons in my arms before.

He gave me some things to do for rehab, but I am just curious if anyone here has had this happen and what works for you to rehab and strengthen to prevent re-injury?

Any info would be greatly appreciated 🙏

Im sorry to hear this , I went through the same thing. Not to be negative, but It took me along time to heal. I did Bodyweight squats for months, then moved to band squats, finally went to 1 plate a side 8 months later. I took it slow because I was scared to hurt it again. Yours may not be as severe. I used tb500 and bpc157. Looking back I should of took collagen, but at the time i thought it was snake oil and more for your hair, nails and skin.

You wont lose any size,but I lost strength. I really learned how to train my hamstrings properly and That made a huge difference. I went harder on my calves too. You dont need to skip leg day, just adapt and overcome!!!

That helps a lot, thank you, and sorry you had to go through this, it sucks

Physio doc was not happy I did leg day today, even though I was really just testing what I can/can't do. Skipping leg day is just not an option

So a couple days ago I stood up from squatting down to pick up a bottle of water after shovelling snow for an hour or so, and on the way up heard a crunch below my right knee and felt pain like someone sticking a knife in below the kneecap, so I dropped to the ground to do a function check, and eventually got up slowly, and since then it's not been a fun ride.

I went to Physio today to get a proper diagnosis as this is new to me and knees are scary to injure. He diagnosed a Patellar Tendon injury, not likely torn, perhaps tendonitis.

Sucks cuz my left knee is my bad one, and has similar issues with soreness and popping, so now both my knees are f-ed

Seems like I can do slow controlled bodyweight squats to failure as long as I'm holding a table to make sure Im stable, but only to parallel, not ass to grass. I can not ride a spin bike, that hurts. Safe to assume most other typical leg excercises are off limit for now, so leg day will now be leg rehab and ab day

He gave me some things to do for rehab, but I am just curious if anyone here has had this happen and what works for you to rehab and strengthen to prevent re-injury?

Bpc and tb500 will work better than growth…..if you can afford to add growth in that’s cool but I would say it’s the last part of the equation. The shit literally repaired a nagging shoulder injury that I thought I was stuck with for life. I was running 4iu than dropped to 3iu pharma hgh to but I don’t think that’s what did it might’ve helped but the healing peptides I think worked very well. Knee injuries are fuckin scary alright!

Bpc and tb500 will work better than growth…..if you can afford to add growth in that’s cool but I would say it’s the last part of the equation. The shit literally repaired a nagging shoulder injury that I thought I was stuck with for life. I was running 4iu than dropped to 3iu pharma hgh to but I don’t think that’s what did it might’ve helped but the healing peptides I think worked very well. Knee injuries are fuckin scary alright!

I will definitely get BPC and TB 🙏 I've never used either and if there is even the slightest improvement they can make then it's worth it. I think I'll run them without GH so I can see what they do

I've got a bad shoulder and ankle so could ways use the help there too

Good there’s no tear.

Get a good set of knee sleeves as they make a world of difference. @OntarioDude

Also not sure your age but I feel like 40ish. So if you are still squatting…stop.

Was very hard for me to stop squatting as I always had a pretty good squat but now I basically have no knee pain anymore. I only do extensions and sissy squats and have maintained if not gained mass.

I changed the way I do my leg workouts (types of exercises and the order) while also incorporating knee sleeves (thank you to my good & kind friend) :) which do seem to help by keeping them warmed up better as well as helping to keep me more mindful of trying to exercise while not hurting them.

Leg extensions seem to hurt them sometimes also to so I take care in setting them up better or limit them somewhat at times.

I have tried some Shockwave therapy and also get deep tissue massage therapy regularly around my knees and that seems to help.

I may still try some of these peptides as well at some point since I have quite a few areas that could use it in addition to my knees (i.e. I tore a bicep before and believe my other one is still just about ready to tear if I give it an excuse although I am much more careful now).

Hey brother.

I can chime in here as to what I went through as I battled a partial patellar tendon tear for a little over a year. I noticed one day when I knelt down to play with my young son and almost fel over due to the pain shooting around my left knee. I believe it happened over the years of a lot of CrossFit and explosive training for hockey. Either way no surgery for me. Just physio and chiro helped big time early.

However, I will say that I ran generic GH for approx 8-9 months straight and by the year mark of the injury I felt almost 100%. I ran 3iu/day for that time. I had thought about TB and BPC but I was 6 months into GH and kept rolling with it as I was feeling progressively better. Anyways needless to say that’s what worked for me and it worked well. Don’t get me wrong I have drastically changed the way I’ve trained in the last year - two years which I believe has also aided in my recovery.

Fee free to PM me if you want.

Stay active. Stretch. But go easy on that knee.

Cheers
FB

Good there’s no tear.

Get a good set of knee sleeves as they make a world of difference. @OntarioDude

Also not sure your age but I feel like 40ish. So if you are still squatting…stop.

Was very hard for me to stop squatting as I always had a pretty good squat but now I basically have no knee pain anymore. I only do extensions and sissy squats and have maintained if not gained mass.

42, and I had the feeling that my squatting days were coming to an end. I love squats, this is a sad. I may also have to re-evaluate heavy DB bench as that's another favorite, I wont be doing that one for a while anyway

I will get knee sleeves. I was thinking about getting them for ski/snowboarding as some added support but clearly I could use them elsewhere now

I changed the way I do my leg workouts (types of exercises and the order) while also incorporating knee sleeves (thank you to my good & kind friend) :) which do seem to help by keeping them warmed up better as well as helping to keep me more mindful of trying to exercise while not hurting them.

Leg extensions seem to hurt them sometimes also to so I take care in setting them up better or limit them somewhat at times.

I have tried some Shockwave therapy and also get deep tissue massage therapy regularly around my knees and that seems to help.

I may still try some of these peptides as well at some point since I have quite a few areas that could use it in addition to my knees (i.e. I tore a bicep before and believe my other one is still just about ready to tear if I give it an excuse although I am much more careful now).

Leg extensions are hit and miss like this for me too. As long as I dont go too high it's ok.

I just got given a free Theragun, they are intense so it should help with some massage therapy as Physio doc said to work the quads to loosen them up so they dont pull so hard on the tendons

Hey brother.

I can chime in here as to what I went through as I battled a partial patellar tendon tear for a little over a year. I noticed one day when I knelt down to play with my young son and almost fel over due to the pain shooting around my left knee. I believe it happened over the years of a lot of CrossFit and explosive training for hockey. Either way no surgery for me. Just physio and chiro helped big time early.

However, I will say that I ran generic GH for approx 8-9 months straight and by the year mark of the injury I felt almost 100%. I ran 3iu/day for that time. I had thought about TB and BPC but I was 6 months into GH and kept rolling with it as I was feeling progressively better. Anyways needless to say that’s what worked for me and it worked well. Don’t get me wrong I have drastically changed the way I’ve trained in the last year - two years which I believe has also aided in my recovery.

Fee free to PM me if you want.

Stay active. Stretch. But go easy on that knee.

Cheers
FB

Seems like you damaged yours similar to me, doing nothing remarkable. I wish at least I had a good story to tell

I'll be getting GH as I've been meaning to do a run of 3.3iu/day for a while now. I'll run peptides alone before getting on the GH to see what they can do, as I've used GH when I damaged the tendon in my arm before and it worked well

42, and I had the feeling that my squatting days were coming to an end. I love squats, this is a sad. I may also have to re-evaluate heavy DB bench as that's another favorite, I wont be doing that one for a while anyway

I will get knee sleeves. I was thinking about getting them for ski/snowboarding as some added support but clearly I could use them elsewhere now
Sleeves are hard to put on imo, I use powerlifting wraps on heavy squats if I do them and I wrap them properly the way powerlifters wrap.

I had the same noise in my knee. Got a diagnosis and all wrong. Waited a full year almost following that advice.
Finally went to my doctor who ordered a MRI. Find out numerous tears in my meniscus and my IT band needing repair.
Now I’m sitting here off work for 6 weeks rehabbing after surgery. Alls good.
My advice is get an MRI. Only way you’ll know exactly what’s going on in there. Don’t wait like me.

I had the same noise in my knee. Got a diagnosis and all wrong. Waited a full year almost following that advice.
Finally went to my doctor who ordered a MRI. Find out numerous tears in my meniscus and my IT band needing repair.
Now I’m sitting here off work for 6 weeks rehabbing after surgery. Alls good.
My advice is get an MRI. Only way you’ll know exactly what’s going on in there. Don’t wait like me.

I will look into getting an mri for peace of mind, good idea, thanks! and im glad you are healing up now.

My left knee has been a minor annoyance for a little while now so I suspect there may be more to that one too so I'll do both knees so I know what's up