Nightshift discussion

It's pretty interesting actually I don't know if it's true I just heard Stan efferding say it but apparently if any light even touches your skin your body knows and will stop producing melatonin to wake you up. So black out any lights on devices too
Oh yeah most phones have a blue.light filter or a night shift mode, I keep mine on 24/7, this is a must in a maintenance position

4 day's... your still a virgin.[emoji1787]
Jesus fuck why would you start this thread... i really thought about ignoring it lol ....i just can't

Why do i feel im experienced to make a comment. Well 20 years iv worked nights/days the last 6 years have been directly night shift, no sun , all vampire just recently 9 months ago i hung up the gloves for night shift. I said no more. My night shifts were 15 to 16 hr shifts and there not easy shifts, i work in the oil patch not the cabbage patch so its full tilt all night long.

Night shift has been researched to lower your life expectancy, thays a researched proven fact.

Your body functions around your circadian rhythm, everything evolves around that, your circadian clock means at bedtime [emoji287] your cortisol is lowest this isnt your bedtime in the morning if thats when you sleep, this means when the sun goes down and around midnight your bodys cortisol is the lowest, so you can sleep this means your melatonin is the highest at this time to help you sleep, Theres so many body functions that are designed to work based on your circadian Rhythm, your thyroid for one is based on your circadian rhythm and when your tsh is supposed to release its hormones etc to cortisol and to blood surgar and all your hormones, all based on your circadian rhythm.

This means when you work nights you throw that entire sytem off balance, you shift and move and change your hormones, as an example of one, lets use cortisol, think of a water bed, sit on one side and what happens to the other? That's what happens when you shift your hormones especially cortisol, if your cortisol is supposed to be lowest at night before bed and you are now working and being stressed or stimulating your acth and producing and using your other hormones then you are now raising that cortisol. That means that in the morning when your cortisol is supposed to be the highest its now the lowest, but this takes time to throw it off, as you can imagine all other systems amd hormones now change during this time. Blood sugar is another, now your eating at night when your supposed to be sleeping... as you can imagine over time alot of this stuff is going to fuck you up, i can personally garuntee it. I could talk hrs on this but ill just leave it short as possible i think you get the point.

TIPS AND TRICKS
1. don't work nightshift.
2. Don't fucking work nightshift
3. If you must work night shift, then alternate day shift and night shift , meaning 7 on days then 7 on night's or 24 on dayshift then days off and 24 on nights.
4. On the days your off , RESET YOUR CIRCADIAN RHYTHM, use melatonin at night before bed and restart your clock, this is a proven fact and one of the best ways to get back on track.
5. Avoid high glycemic foods at night, switch to ither low or high fat diets at night , do yoir very best to always use the basic knowledge of your circadian rhythm and keep it as natural as you can.
6. DO NOT DRINK CAFFEINE AT NIGHT. caffine alters cortisol and over time will just make you more exhausted.
7. Help your self and take some decent blood surgar supplements well your on nights, cortisol and bloodsurgar are extremely tight like best friends so if your stressed often or stressed at times you shouldn't be like when your supposed to be sleeping then theres going to be issues like insulin resistance. So take some supplements to help, little berbine or ginger or Cinnamon cylon something to help.
8. Incase i didnt say it already, learn aboit circadian rhythm, stay as true to it as possible and always work on resetting your self back , and never stay on night shift, longer then a month without going back on days for at least the same amount of time you were on nights.

Hope this helps.

This is the only valid response to this thread bang on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the above. For me a high paying job I enjoyed wasn't worth doing nights or shift work I realized after about 4 years and said fuck it. Now I won't bother working anywhere that they try to give me those shifts fuck em

Blackout curtains and sleepbuds were game changers for helping me get to sleep in the morning

I work a 2 day 2 night 4 off schedule from 8:00-8:00. Now sometimes I do get to sleep on my nights so I have to adjust shift by shift. Sometimes it works out great and I get enough rest to get by the next day but sometimes I am up all night. It's frustrating but it is what it is and at least it's not up all night every night.

Biggest things for me are:
1. Eating no later than 9pm on nights otherwise my stomach gets pretty pissed.
2 Keeping a dark, cool, quiet place usually with a sleep mask and ear plugs as I have other noise in the house.
3. Take a little intensity off my workouts as I know recovery won't be the same. That being said, keep moving even if I am very tired. 30min of light cardio may be all I have in the tank and that's ok. Have to temper your expectations when running on fumes.
4. Supplements that have been mentioned above.
5. Avoid light in the mornings and definitely do not go flipping through your phone. Keep your eyes off any screens if possible. I do use the blue blocker setting but I don't find it makes much of a difference.

It will take a bit of time but finding out what works for you is highly individual based of demands at work, shift patterns, and other life commitments. It's never going to be as good as not working nights but you'll discover how to make it hurt less.

Ultimately try to get away from doing any as soon as possible.

Fuck nights.

I've been on shift work for years, 7/7 now 2/2. I have to say i prefer 2/2 nights. listened to a podcast a while back about shift work and
night shift (huberman labs & guest) . data showed better off on the 2/2 and fully adapting for 2 weeks, also, not having to rotate off nights more often in a year is beneficial. I nap at work (30 - 1hr) if im able, and go to bed as soon as i am off shift (light breakfast and right to sleep) it usually takes me 3-4 days to get the 7-8hours sleep during the day but then im solid.

hardest part for me is first day off shift and travelling home, my personal method is light cardio and direct sunlight in am, then make every attempt to stay awake all day, stay busy with chores / travel etc, until about 7-8 pm and avoid tv/bluelight , read for 30 mins, smoke a doob, hot shower, melatonin and a chaomoile tea. that smokes me, I set an alarm for the next day at my normal (night shift bed time) and try to re-coup that sleep debt and get 12-14 hours and make damn sure i get outta bed when the alarm goes off or im fucked. the next two nights i have a firm bed time and wake up or i revert back real quick. 1st day after the long sleep is lots of direct sunlight and a big breakfast followed by some light chores and a big weight day....

I work a 2 day 2 night 4 off schedule from 8:00-8:00. Now sometimes I do get to sleep on my nights so I have to adjust shift by shift. Sometimes it works out great and I get enough rest to get by the next day but sometimes I am up all night. It's frustrating but it is what it is and at least it's not up all night every night.

Biggest things for me are:
1. Eating no later than 9pm on nights otherwise my stomach gets pretty pissed.
2 Keeping a dark, cool, quiet place usually with a sleep mask and ear plugs as I have other noise in the house.
3. Take a little intensity off my workouts as I know recovery won't be the same. That being said, keep moving even if I am very tired. 30min of light cardio may be all I have in the tank and that's ok. Have to temper your expectations when running on fumes.
4. Supplements that have been mentioned above.
5. Avoid light in the mornings and definitely do not go flipping through your phone. Keep your eyes off any screens if possible. I do use the blue blocker setting but I don't find it makes much of a difference.

It will take a bit of time but finding out what works for you is highly individual based of demands at work, shift patterns, and other life commitments. It's never going to be as good as not working nights but you'll discover how to make it hurt less.

Ultimately try to get away from doing any as soon as possible.

Fuck nights.
I worked the 2d2n4o schedule for a while. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

I've been on shift work for years, 7/7 now 2/2. I have to say i prefer 2/2 nights. listened to a podcast a while back about shift work and
night shift (huberman labs & guest) . data showed better off on the 2/2 and fully adapting for 2 weeks, also, not having to rotate off nights more often in a year is beneficial. I nap at work (30 - 1hr) if im able, and go to bed as soon as i am off shift (light breakfast and right to sleep) it usually takes me 3-4 days to get the 7-8hours sleep during the day but then im solid.

hardest part for me is first day off shift and travelling home, my personal method is light cardio and direct sunlight in am, then make every attempt to stay awake all day, stay busy with chores / travel etc, until about 7-8 pm and avoid tv/bluelight , read for 30 mins, smoke a doob, hot shower, melatonin and a chaomoile tea. that smokes me, I set an alarm for the next day at my normal (night shift bed time) and try to re-coup that sleep debt and get 12-14 hours and make damn sure i get outta bed when the alarm goes off or im fucked. the next two nights i have a firm bed time and wake up or i revert back real quick. 1st day after the long sleep is lots of direct sunlight and a big breakfast followed by some light chores and a big weight day....
I’m pretty sure it was Tim Ferriss that recommended this if you’re looking for a hack.
I never got one but a guy at work did and he said it helped him.