Insulin/ B12

Mr.mastcan.22

Trusted Member
2 part question but same part of question.

Back in the day id walk into pharmacy and buy Insulin no prescription no questiins ask.

Seems like here in alberta theyve cracked down on that over past couple years.

And same with VitaminB12 injections.

These are both products I no longer use on a regular basis but im curiois is there a website or anything to order from?

Or pharmacy in alberta. ( friends in ontario are telling me they have no issues still)

Not sure on insulin but have read here and on other forums people just ask the pharmacist for it. As for B-12, unless they are out of stock, it is not a product of abuse and it pretty much impossible to hurt yourself with. You use what you need and excrete the rest.
I was declined once so I asked why and he said I needed a prescription from my doctor. I politely argued I did not - it isn't a protected product and is no different from buying Tylenol but any pharmacist can say no to anything at anytime. He still wouldn't give me any. I refer to him as one of the pharmacy Nazis.
Same pharmacy, with another pharmacist, I ask the same question and they they sure just a moment. Same with injectable B-6 for prolactin control. The pharmacy I go to will order it in when needed but they never say no.

Regardless - the B vitamins are sold on CMS as mentioned above. Not sure if they sell insulin. They have an easy to follow website - just type Canadian Medical Supplies in google. They have been around for a long time and are trustworthy.

Not sure on insulin but have read here and on other forums people just ask the pharmacist for it. As for B-12, unless they are out of stock, it is not a product of abuse and it pretty much impossible to hurt yourself with. You use what you need and excrete the rest.
I was declined once so I asked why and he said I needed a prescription from my doctor. I politely argued I did not - it isn't a protected product and is no different from buying Tylenol but any pharmacist can say no to anything at anytime. He still wouldn't give me any. I refer to him as one of the pharmacy Nazis.
Same pharmacy, with another pharmacist, I ask the same question and they they sure just a moment. Same with injectable B-6 for prolactin control. The pharmacy I go to will order it in when needed but they never say no.

Regardless - the B vitamins are sold on CMS as mentioned above. Not sure if they sell insulin. They have an easy to follow website - just type Canadian Medical Supplies in google. They have been around for a long time and are trustworthy.
I think a big part is pharmacists don't like people injecting things. They have no idea if people are trained, it could be dangerous, even buying needles without a perscription I've seen numerous people get denied. Maybe on that sense they don't offer a lot of injectable products to general population

I think a big part is pharmacists don't like people injecting things. They have no idea if people are trained, it could be dangerous, even buying needles without a perscription I've seen numerous people get denied. Maybe on that sense they don't offer a lot of injectable products to general population
I have never had an issue. Sometimes I get a weird look , or they would be confused as to why I am buying a full case of insulin needles. But now I am smart and bring back one of the bags and hand it to the teller and ask for a case of them.

Bought insulin a few years ago and vit b12. OOhhh the b 12 gave me the shits bad. Threw the vial out. Not sure why, its not on the list of side effects, but I tried twice and had the same thing happen twice. Hit about an hour after injecting.

Back in the day id walk into pharmacy and buy Insulin no prescription no questiins ask.

These are both products I no longer use on a regular basis but im curiois is there a website or anything to order from?

Or pharmacy in alberta. ( friends in ontario are telling me they have no issues still)

You can still buy it, just ask.

I have never had an issue. Sometimes I get a weird look , or they would be confused as to why I am buying a full case of insulin needles. But now I am smart and bring back one of the bags and hand it to the teller and ask for a case of them.

Bought insulin a few years ago and vit b12. OOhhh the b 12 gave me the shits bad. Threw the vial out. Not sure why, its not on the list of side effects, but I tried twice and had the same thing happen twice. Hit about an hour after injecting.
It is on the list of side effects in my go-to CPS. It never gets me, but iron supplements are brutal on my gastrointestinal tract.

Frequency Not Defined​

Anaphylaxis

Angioedema

Congestive heart failure

Peripheral vascular disease

Pulmonary edema

Diarrhea

Dyspepsia

Polycythemia vera

Sore throat

Nervousness

Rhinitis

Glossitis

Hypoesthesia

I bought both recently here in Edmonton. No issue at all. I had to sign for pins but it was all smooth. In and out.

It is on the list of side effects in my go-to CPS. It never gets me, but iron supplements are brutal on my gastrointestinal tract.

Frequency Not Defined​

Anaphylaxis

Angioedema

Congestive heart failure

Peripheral vascular disease

Pulmonary edema

Diarrhea

Dyspepsia

Polycythemia vera

Sore throat

Nervousness

Rhinitis

Glossitis

Hypoesthesia
Thanks, I did a quick google search and it didn’t come up. Anyhow when you shit yourself twice, no need for a third, I threw the vial out, lol.
wasn’t likely low on b12 anyways.

Entitled power tripping assholes IMO. Same with restricting syringes. I've made some huge noise about this shit in the past when being denied syringes. Was pretty well versed in the rules at the time, knowing a couple of key phrases is very helpful.
Having said that they (pharmacists) have a kind of catch all in there code that says they can do whatever they want if they are uncomfortable with any situation.
Sorry for the slight derail but it grinds my gears.
To the OP - I've found that the small "corner store" type of pharmacies are often easier to deal with for such touchy items.

Agreed - could be, but the one gent who said no is abusing his power and I told him just that. I am happy to go into the little private room and one of the pharmacists can do their job and show how to inject properly. Weird, he never offers that but the other staff never hesitate or order it in or give me B-12. To be frank, you can do much more damage to your body with a bottle of tylenol than a bottle of injectable b-12 of b-6.

I didn't go into it earlier but there was a time when I had a back injury and my doc offered Tylenol 3 and I declined and said I would just get Tylenol 1 at the pharmacy as it has 8 mg of codeine, caffeine, and acetaminophen and worked just as well. No prescription is needed. Any how - codeine can be abused but you would fry your liver to get a buzz with T1's. Anyway, the pharmacist nazi walks over to me, on a Monday I had off, I ask for a bottle and he says we are all out and walks away. No small talk, no niceties, no when they will get it in. I was dressed for what I was doing - my old . dirty clothes because I took a Monday off to get a bunch of equipment ready for the winter.
The next morning, I am heading to my job and shave and put my suit on. Stop at the same pharmacy / same guy and ask and without hesitation he gets it for me. After he hands it over, I asked if a shipment just came in and he said no and his face changed. I asked him if he remembered me from yesterday when he told me they were out because I looked like a person without much money. Those are all facts and happened. I gave him a blunt but not belligerent earful and I could give a F who else was around and heard me. He never apologized, I still go there, and he is still there, he now rushes to serve me. This was approx 15 years ago when the opioid issue was not rampant and T1's were handed to people like candy. It is not like that now - pharmacies have a long process to give you a bottle but no script is needed.

I agree with you but in many cases, new pharmacists are doing things that are not required. Sure, there are people who might abuse T1's I guess and the pharmacists have a hard job because people try to fill scripts early, etc. Anyway, my point is this 'gent' is an ass and he knows how I feel. He no longer hesitates to order B-6, hand over B-12 and I haven't needed Tylenol 1 in ages.

I walk into a pharmacy all the time in Newfoundland & get b12. I even get them to print off a script sticker I guess you would call it on the outside of the box that have my name.

I can only get amps of b12 now they don’t have multi dosage vials anymore. Pretty cheat $32 for a 10 pack of amps