How do you check your blood pressure?

Bigbear

The Kodiak
Trusted Member
I relax for 30 minutes then sit at a table hook up the cuff to my arm, sit flat footed with back against the chair then wait 5 minutes and check it 3 or 4 times. I'm wondering if im doing it right maybe the 30 minute rest is kind of cheating? If I don't rest 30 minutes and just sit for 5 minutes it's usually a lot higher

I check mine at night while in bed. This way I'm relaxed from the day and I'll check in the morning sitting on the side of the bed.
It's the same routine the hospital used when I was in there so ive adopted it for home use as well.

I check mine at night while in bed. This way I'm relaxed from the day and I'll check in the morning sitting on the side of the bed.
It's the same routine the hospital used when I was in there so ive adopted it for home use as well.
What I'm confused about though is resting bp is what has to be good, well if we don't rest all day which most people don't our blood pressure is usually only good while we sleep. Then we wake up have coffee and move around all day. So really it's 12 hours of good bp, and 12 hours of not so good

Bought a Dr Ho at Costco. First thing am last thing pm hour after my meds. Almost blew it here won't loose track again. Do the due diligence brothers🤟

What they told me, and I don't know if there's truth in it.
A high BP at night is what will dislodge formed cholesterol and cause faster blockages.
Cholesterol forms at night while we rest so it kinda made sense but I've never looked into it.
Seems to me, any time of high BP can dislodge and do the same.
I was taken off the BP meds mid January because I was crashing super low. 62/40
I've remained normal ever since..im pretty sure I was elevated at the hospital because I didn't like the doc and most of the nurses. I didn't want to be there.

What they told me, and I don't know if there's truth in it.
A high BP at night is what will dislodge formed cholesterol and cause faster blockages.
Cholesterol forms at night while we rest so it kinda made sense but I've never looked into it.
Seems to me, any time of high BP can dislodge and do the same.
I was taken off the BP meds mid January because I was crashing super low. 62/40
I've remained normal ever since..im pretty sure I was elevated at the hospital because I didn't like the doc and most of the nurses. I didn't want to be there.
That makes sense, secondary concern from dislodging cholesterol would be organ damage such as right ventricular hypertrophy and kidney damage which could probably happen from temporary spikes as well. Maybe not bad enough to cause concern though

I do a type of ambulatory BP readings. True ambulatory readings are when you wear a cuff and you get readings every half hour during the day. I take readings four times a day for a couple of weeks a month to get a handle on my readings.

I walk into superstore to the bp machine and test it. I'm for sure reading higher than I would at home. I tried a friend's at his house and it read super high because it's for a 14" arm and barely fit. I wonder how accurate the superstore one is on an 18" arm.

I bought one of these: Omron BP Monitor
It may seem expensive, but trust me, total piece of mind. They do have cheaper monitors.

I have 'white coat' syndrome and am constantly testing high at the docs office. With hypertension in the family, I monitor my bp a couple times a week. When the doc goes nuts because of the readouts he's getting; I open the Omron app and show him the history of what my values are on a daily basis at home. One of the better tech purchases I've made.

I think I'm probably pushing my luck being on adderall and drinking 4 coffees a day as well, for some reason even when I constantly bug my doc he insists adderall is safe and to never stop it. Blows my mind but I can't argue with him it does help with work and focus

I think I'm probably pushing my luck being on adderall and drinking 4 coffees a day as well, for some reason even when I constantly bug my doc he insists adderall is safe and to never stop it. Blows my mind but I can't argue with him it does help with work and focus
Coffee shoots mine through the roof. I can't speak to the Adderall ;)

I drink a cup of coffee wait 1/2 hours sit down and take a reading, then I ignore the first reading. I take it 2 more times. I don’t prep in any way, just sit down and take a reading.

Why do I do it like that, because it is a truer representation of what I am like during the day. If I did it under perfect circumstances then I wouldn’t get an actual reflection.

My average taking this way is 123/79.

I walk into superstore to the bp machine and test it. I'm for sure reading higher than I would at home. I tried a friend's at his house and it read super high because it's for a 14" arm and barely fit. I wonder how accurate the superstore one is on an 18" arm.
It’s going to read super high for you, one’s at shoppers say 190/130 for me, at the doctors office mines always within healthy ranges

I drink a cup of coffee wait 1/2 hours sit down and take a reading, then I ignore the first reading. I take it 2 more times. I don’t prep in any way, just sit down and take a reading.

Why do I do it like that, because it is a truer representation of what I am like during the day. If I did it under perfect circumstances then I wouldn’t get an actual reflection.

My average taking this way is 123/79.
Dam that's pretty good man

I check mine usually once a week with a forearm cuff. My bp is almost always perfect and has been for years no matter what im on. Actually surprised me a few times cause i was blasting high. If it does go a little high, my face shows it. Im weathered from the sun and on the side of my eyes the skin will look dark if it bp goes up at all. Some orals will make the skin change within a week

Thats the time you should be taking it, lol
absolutely. however, I'm well aware that its through the roof at those times (im working on ways to mitigate it), i don't need the stress of having those numbers right in front of me compounding and raising it even further.