Home Made Alkaline Water???

Princess_Penguin

Trusted Member
I looked into getting an alkaline water filter, but they are small and my husband and i drink a lot of water so the device cannot support our drinking requirements and to have another line running from the tap is quite expensive.

I found this link https://patents.google.com/patent/US5306511A/en and looked up on amazon buying food grade potassium hydroxide (KOH) and sodium hydroxide (NaOH). I have a pH meter and I am going to make my own alkaline water to drink. As far as my ratio of NaOH to KOH in the water i am going to run a series of trials at home. I want the water to be around pH9 so what i am going to do is take a sample of my water and add only KOH to get to a pH of 9, then i am going to do the same with NaOH and make ratios of these 2. Then i am going to calculate how many K+ ions are needed and how many Na+ ions are needed to reach pH 9. This will tell me if they are a 1:1 ratio to make a solution of pH9. Then I am going to calculate how many K+ions are in solution and now many Na+ ions are in solution and figure out a ratio of volume of water:KOH to generate a pH9. I'm going to take the amount of alkaline water i will drink in a day and calculate how many K+ will be in solution if i were to make the alkaline water from 100% KOH, using the ratio that i just figured out in the smaller sample size. This will give me the max number of K+ ions that would be in solution from just KOH. From there I will research the maximum daily potassium requirements and look at all the foods i eat and calculate how much potassium I would consume. From here I will do some calculations to figure out what percent KOH to NaOH I will make my water to reach a pH9. I am going to be using tap water and not distilled water. I have a iron/sulphur water filter and i am on a well. Once i figure out what my ratio of NaOH to KOH is I will make a larger batch and do all the calculations again to make sure that my ratios generated in my samples carried over into larger volumes of water. im not sure how easy my procedure is to follow, i have it mapped out in my head. Anyways....

I am not worried about adding Na of K to my diet as these are necessary electrolytes, my only concern is the ratio of one to the other as the article states. That's why i think if i know exactly how many ions i am adding to my solutions i can control this.

I am wondering if anyone else has made their own alkaline water?

If yes, how did you do it?

If anyone has any reason why I shouldn't do this or why it would be unsafe?

To check the pH of my water...you don't have one lol?
Yes I do, a stupidly expensive one to check the ph of meat. It’s for when I make dry cured sausage. We need to record the ph for the government. Mine was $500, lol.
I also have a water activity meter, bwahaaa.

Yes I do, a stupidly expensive one to check the ph of meat. It’s for when I make dry cured sausage. We need to record the ph for the government. Mine was $500, lol.
I also have a water activity meter, bwahaaa.
oh your pH meter is fancier than mine, mine was around $110 or something like that. I don't have the water activity meter, what do you use that for?

oh your pH meter is fancier than mine, mine was around $110 or something like that. I don't have the water activity meter, what do you use that for?
Check water activity of jerky or sausage. If it’s low enough it’s shelf stable, or doesn’t need refrigeration.
Most dry cure sausage you decrease the ph to 5.3 and majority of pathogenic and other bacteria stops growing or dies, then you dry it out until the water activity is below .83 and any parasites die no bacteria will grow and the product is completely safe without refrigeration or being heat treated.
That is why you see pepperoni and jerky just sitting on the shelf at the gas station.
Higher salt levels also play a role, mainly because sodium traps water that the bacteria would use.

My meter is meant for sticking into meat products, I don’t know if it would work in just water.

alkaline water is quackery. drinking caustic soda? time to reassess what you are trying to accomplish here.

If you want to alkalize your body, it is tough. Urine is easy to alkalize, blood not so much.
Use baking soda in water if you have the desire to try to alkalize.
Ive tried many, many methods. I wouldn't go so far as to say alkalizing oneself is quackery, it does take a lot to make a change that is effective and consistent though.
Start with your foods, and if you get ill or run down you become acidic also. So it throws it all off.
Foods, water and keep your immunity In check.

alkaline water is quackery. drinking caustic soda? time to reassess what you are trying to accomplish here.
Your not actually drinking NaOH (which is the same things a caustic soda, I will use NaOH for simplicity). When you add a strong base (NaOH) to water you get an exothermic reaction (as in energy is released in the form of heat) and the NaOH dissociates 100% so you are now left with aqueous solution of Na+ and OH- ions. When you drink a solution of Na+, H2O and OH- the Na+ will be used in your body as electrolytes, the H2O (self explanatory) and the OH- ions will bind to any H+ ions in the body/cells and form H2O (water) this is how you can use a solution of these ions to lower acidity (H+) in the body, the same goes for KOH. Exact same process. The tricky part here is getting the perfect balance of Na+ to K+ because these are your electrolytes and these 2 ions are needed to transmit electricial impulses throughout the body and that includes all muscle contractions. If you have an imbalance of these too you can cause issues with these nerve impulses and since the heart is a muscle that requires an electrical impulse you have to be careful. This is why i want to look at my diet and the requirements of Na+ and K+ for the body. I am not too worried about sodium as I sweat a lot and exercise a lot, its the K+ (potassium) that i am more concerned about as ppl do not lose that electrolyte as easily or require.

As far as you thinking its quackery, thats fine, I don't really argue with ppl or ever try to convince anyone to change their mind, I do like to learn from those who think differently than i do so if you don't mind can you tell me why you think its quackery?

If you want to alkalize your body, it is tough. Urine is easy to alkalize, blood not so much.
Use baking soda in water if you have the desire to try to alkalize.
Ive tried many, many methods. I wouldn't go so far as to say alkalizing oneself is quackery, it does take a lot to make a change that is effective and consistent though.
Start with your foods, and if you get ill or run down you become acidic also. So it throws it all off.
Foods, water and keep your immunity In check.

I heard baking soda makes the water taste funny.

I already have a very restrictive diet, the 2 things i like to keep in my diet 1) coffee 2) carbonated water, both cause acidity. I also eat a lot of meat and this causes higher blood pH. I do not want to change these 3 things as I like to be lean and fit looking. If i lower my protein I will starve because I refuse to eat more carbs and i can only eat so much fat or i get fatter. I already eat lots of veggies and if i eat more 1) it doesn't fill me up 2) i get bloated and digestive issues. Realistically i probably use some of my amino acids for energy, which is realize is not efficient at all, but i do that so that I never have a deficit of amino acids for muscle repair and growth. I do listen to my body and try not to over eat protein ever. This is why I think i can greatly benefit from drinking alkaline water. I would not say everyone has to do this, but I think its in my best interest based on the things I enjoy, my restrictive diet, and for the quality of my life.

meat does not acidify your body ph. there are plenty of articles debunking these ideas on the internet written by phds int the field of biochemistry. heres a canadian one
https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/controversial-science-news-quackery/alkaline-water-nonsense
your ph is fine.
what could go wrong with drinking lye?
Go take a basic chemistry lesson...now your frustrating me...im not drinking lye. Im Kindof done with you. I only have so much patience. The article u attached in my opinion is terribly written. This article is too opinionated, it's some person venting their opinion on a topic.

Last edited:
I heard baking soda makes the water taste funny.

I already have a very restrictive diet, the 2 things i like to keep in my diet 1) coffee 2) carbonated water, both cause acidity. I also eat a lot of meat and this causes higher blood pH. I do not want to change these 3 things as I like to be lean and fit looking. If i lower my protein I will starve because I refuse to eat more carbs and i can only eat so much fat or i get fatter. I already eat lots of veggies and if i eat more 1) it doesn't fill me up 2) i get bloated and digestive issues. Realistically i probably use some of my amino acids for energy, which is realize is not efficient at all, but i do that so that I never have a deficit of amino acids for muscle repair and growth. I do listen to my body and try not to over eat protein ever. This is why I think i can greatly benefit from drinking alkaline water. I would not say everyone has to do this, but I think its in my best interest based on the things I enjoy, my restrictive diet, and for the quality of my life.
Hey PP.
Baking soda at 1/2 tsp in a glass does have a wee bit of a taste to it.
Here's the thing. If you can taste it a lot, it means you are lacking in sodium bicarbonate. If you have a good level in your body it will not have much of a taste.
There are also a lot of other positive health benefits to bicarbonates in your GI , stomach, kidneys etc.
When drinking it you will be able to positively affect these organs.
I do it a few times per day, around workouts especially.
Before bed really enables me to have a good sleep as well. I eat right up until bedtime.
I don't take it with meals but 1/2 hour or more before and 2 hours after a meal.

I always try to keep my K and MG in balance.
4000-4500 mg per day of K, and 400-450 mg per day of Mg.
For potassium supplementation I use a product called "no salt" it is Potassium Chloride and a wee bit of Potassium iodide.
I mix up some MG 150 mg and K 1500 mg and a wee bit(1/8-1/4 tsp of sea salt each day 2 times per day.
Most of us are deficient in these.
I get a hell of a pump, when I drink water it actually quenches my thirst, and I stay nice and full all day.
Helps with PH as well.