Economic crash

Damon

Trusted Member
Happy 2019 everyone 2018 was awesome until the end
Pot was legalized, money was made
I learned a whole new area in the horticultural industry 😁 and a whole new variety of sexy ladies
I changed job choices thought it would stick and it was awesome.
Just finally said I'm done with construction and sold out
Started with oilfield and I Progressed it and then boom oilfield crash starts
And soon following construction starts falling apart

For the first time in my life I have an appreciation for the small things and really feel bad for all the lower class famillys, money in our house has never been an issue and thank fuck my wife made us put savings away

I had to take a job that pays $16 an hr and that was after 2 months of unemployment and now I'm to scared to fuck up

All the famillys that aren't prepared for the tough times I don't even know how they do it

For the first time in a long time I've been on the other side of the table going through interviews fighting and pushing to try and land a job
One place had me scheduled in with 40 other Interviewers and had recieved hundreds of resumes, That were all walk ins

It's honestly embarassing and makes you feel about 2 feet tall when a guy half your age that's been flipping burgers for the last year and half looks at you and says are actually dead sirious about working here for $15 an hr

I meen your truck isn't exactly telling me you plan on sticking it out your past experience has me woundering if you will quit once spring comes

Not so long ago I would have guys infront of me desperate for a job when I was siding when I was looking for a helper
And I would sluff them off and always take the guy that would show up in the newest truck

Now I got guys that won't hire me for minimum wage because of my truck

It's absolutely insane what's going on right now
And anyone else going through it I'm sorry

I don't know what Eastern Canada is like but western right now is just fucked

As they say all things get better with time but damn it could speed up just a little bit more

Lol but on the up side pots legal so smoke up and water those ladies

@Damon I feel your pain brother. Similar experience for me the last few years. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Where about are you on the west coast?

Things are starting to slow in the GTA I’m in a pretty good position both with work and personal finances, but everyone had to know this was on the horizon.

Biggest problem I currently see in construction in the GTA is every guy with a pick up is a contractor. A bit of a reset will clean this up and in a few years it will be boom time again.

Boom bust echo.

Don't know where you are exactly but business is booming in certain sectors of the O&G industry here in AB. Usually things grind to a halt after Christmas but so far so good.

Happy 2019 everyone 2018 was awesome until the end
Pot was legalized, money was made
I learned a whole new area in the horticultural industry 😁 and a whole new variety of sexy ladies
I changed job choices thought it would stick and it was awesome.
Just finally said I'm done with construction and sold out
Started with oilfield and I Progressed it and then boom oilfield crash starts
And soon following construction starts falling apart

For the first time in my life I have an appreciation for the small things and really feel bad for all the lower class famillys, money in our house has never been an issue and thank fuck my wife made us put savings away

I had to take a job that pays $16 an hr and that was after 2 months of unemployment and now I'm to scared to fuck up

All the famillys that aren't prepared for the tough times I don't even know how they do it

For the first time in a long time I've been on the other side of the table going through interviews fighting and pushing to try and land a job
One place had me scheduled in with 40 other Interviewers and had recieved hundreds of resumes, That were all walk ins

It's honestly embarassing and makes you feel about 2 feet tall when a guy half your age that's been flipping burgers for the last year and half looks at you and says are actually dead sirious about working here for $15 an hr

I meen your truck isn't exactly telling me you plan on sticking it out your past experience has me woundering if you will quit once spring comes

Not so long ago I would have guys infront of me desperate for a job when I was siding when I was looking for a helper
And I would sluff them off and always take the guy that would show up in the newest truck

Now I got guys that won't hire me for minimum wage because of my truck

It's absolutely insane what's going on right now
And anyone else going through it I'm sorry

I don't know what Eastern Canada is like but western right now is just fucked

As they say all things get better with time but damn it could speed up just a little bit more

Lol but on the up side pots legal so smoke up and water those ladies

Yeah, if a guy has a lot of experience I hestite to hire them for a job that is way beneath them, because they will leave once things get better and I have wasted time training them.

It sucks.

Hopefully things look up for you.

Yeah, if a guy has a lot of experience I hestite to hire them for a job that is way beneath them, because they will leave once things get better and I have wasted time training them.

It sucks.

Hopefully things look up for you.

I had the same problem with my line of work, but unlike you a lot of the skills that I needed my staff to have were easily transferable. It was always good to have that one older person on the shifts with the kids right out of college.

I had the same problem with my line of work, but unlike you a lot of the skills that I needed my staff to have were easily transferable. It was always good to have that one older person on the shifts with the kids right out of college.

Yeah, other than common sense and some basic education, my staff diesnt really need specific skills. So hire someone I KNOW is going to leave once a better opportunity comes along, or hire someone that I hope if they like how they are treated, stays a few years.
I have a tendency to fix problem people as well. So ones with attitude issues, or have been let go at other jobs multiple times because no one spent time to teach them. The loyality I receive in return is amazing, but some days it can be a bit frustrating, lol.

Like this student I have, not the brightest but tried hard at the beginning. He had been let go from other jobs. Anyhow after about 2 months starts to let his appearance go, show up late, call in sick. So just before Christmas I had, had enough, he was in the cooler, I walked in and told him calmly.
You need to show up to work on time. You keep doing this then others will as well. Seriously man, you are going to force me to fire you, and it will be your fault, not mine, but yours. So you have two choices, either fix yourself up here or get fired, then have to fix yourself up at the next job, because you’ll get fired there also, so if you like working here you know what to do. I turned around to leave, then looked back and said to him honestly, seriously don’t make me fire you, ok.

Guys been busting ass ever sense.

Sry fir the derail.

Not sure where in Alberta the patch is booming....and at what kind of money.New home construction has many multi unit foundations in place....waiting.Rates are low.What was a bad day 6-7 years ago is now fairly average.Trudeau has done his best to screw Canada.His response to inflated Van home prices has hurt a lot of people.So much for expanding the middle class.This is what happens when you let trust fund brats run the country.

inflated Van home prices has hurt a lot of people.

And has also benefited countless others. Grandma and Grandpa that bought their home 45 years ago for 30,000 and diligently worked hard all those years are now selling that same house for a mil or more. There are countless thousands of people in this position and they've earned it. Trudeau doesn't need to do anything but fuck off and let the market do what the market does.

Last edited:
@flexappeal I'm central Alberta

We're not to bad my wife has an income so in a sense I was Mr mom or a house husband for a bit
Never had to wear an apron and she never gave me a feather duster so it wasn't so bad

I quit siding and sold out and I was honestly good with day to day living
I stayed shop and yard but ran loader and it was good, money was decent but it is what it is

I guess I needed some personal Xbox time
Got not bad at fortnite

You guys that still got patch work be thankful and be careful it's suppose to get gnarly before winter is up and if you can try and get on a pad rig

@Sorbate I know and I look at what I got on my resume and honestly contemplate rewriting it to make it a little more snowflake and give it a touch of I still live at home

But rent and bills are paid there is food in the fridge so really life could be worse right now

I live in the heart of oil and gas area.. I'm thankful my career isn't directly linked to oil and gas, but it sort of is. The pop. of my little town has fallen hard and some ppl in my field are in trouble due to low population, I have a ton of senoirtiy and so does my wife so we are fine.

Everyone here is feeling this down turn hard. Most guys I know who worked in oil and gas are out of a job or only getting a couple weeks work here and there.

I sincerly feel for the guys who worked hard, saved money and now are out of work.

I don't have a ton of pity for a lot of the oil and gas guys here who constantly blew through hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in toys, partying etc.. There is a lot of guys like that in the oil and gas.

Live within your means to prepare for the worst. I know even though me and the wife are ok, we put a halt on spending and put our plans to build a new house on hold even though we have the land and the cash. But I'm not going to build a $500,000 house when our $250,000 house is just fine when we don't know what is going to happen with this economy.

The Trades in Alberta have taking a really big hit over the last few years. Talking to my apprentices and it seems like it's impossible to find work after school. At the same time most companies don't want to hire Jmans including my company.

I have a few buds in the oil and gas construction industry here in alberta and there seeing a lot of Somali immigrants being hired because the federal gov subsidizes there wage 50% so the contract companies are jumping all over that.But if we are against illegal immigration were racist!Fuck Trudeau!

And has also benefited countless others. Grandma and Grandpa that bought their home 45 years ago for 30,000 and diligently worked hard all those years are now selling that same house for a mil or more. There are countless thousands of people in this position and they've earned it. Trudeau doesn't need to do anything but fuck off and let the market do what the market does.
You could get a job at CNN:)
His response to inflated Van home prices.....I do not agree in any way with his solution.If people want to pay a million for a knock down in a great location....fine.The new regs have hurt a lot of people that will scrape by to own a home,even if it means renting out half the home.

@flexappeal I'm central Alberta

@Sorbate I know and I look at what I got on my resume and honestly contemplate rewriting it to make it a little more snowflake and give it a touch of I still live at home

But rent and bills are paid there is food in the fridge so really life could be worse right now

Yes rework your resume.
-Never put you were an owner of a company or anything like that.
-downplay it.

The guy hiring you needs to think you are going to stay there forever and not be a druggie, or alcoholic, lol

If you ever want me to look at it, you can send it to me ion pm and I'll let you know, at least you'll be getting a response from a guy who hires where you are applying right now.

You bet, this is going to be another year of very little work especially on the drilling side in the oil & gas sector. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for another dismal year, I believe it's going to be just like 2015 again....brutal. l believe its going to take a couple years after the changes in government too before it ever gets much better. Alberta provincial government change from the NDP is pretty much a given, it should happen....
If that fuckin useless & complete fuckin moron Trudeau gets in again the whole country of Canada will be fucked, not just the west.