Dump Windows 10 For Linux?

Cog

Trusted Member
So I bought a small HP laptop about a year ago.Windows 10.Terrible.IPad and a phone handles the mail.Anybody made the switch?

I guess Linux can be run live from a USB stick.SD cards are easily corrupted as I found out.

I guess Linux can be run live from a USB stick.SD cards are easily corrupted as I found out.

As can USBs.

I have a Lenovo on the way and will be running Linux from that. More control and way less bloat. I would do a full native install and forget about running from a peripheral source. I do understand why running from a USB or SD would be advantageous. If you’re hellbent on running from a peripheral drive I would look into a small solid state external.

Why pay when you can get it for free and have more control .
Whatever you want with linux you can download it .

ive tried many times, many distros. i recently switched back to w10 from a year on ubuntu. i have a 13" 1080p screen which made it the main deal breaker. also compatibility issues with hardware. before switching over id ensure that there wasnt any issues with your specific model of computer. even after you manually fix issues, an update can fk everything up again. if i were to buy another, id get a midline 15" laptop that has a linux recommendation.
for just using a browser go for it. i found if difficult to live without games and software piracy. i like making electronic music and the software for linux doesnt come close to the quantity or quality of software for w10. the main linux DAW,Ardour, its interface controls were so tiny on my screen i couldnt use it. i have a computer scientist friend to guide me through using linux and things like this are real headaches.

if you are hating the w10 interface, maybe try classic shell.
http://www.classicshell.net/
you can make w10 interface like w7 or xp if that is your preference.

I have a desktop I rarely use,laptop,IPad,Samsung tablet and phone.I could play with Linux and not miss anything.Looking at verifying wireless security.

i think ubuntu is the most developed and supported. mint is ubuntu with a interface more like windows. id suggest those for first timers

I second the Ubuntu recommendations. I ran it for years on a Lenovo laptop until the HD crashed. I even ran 3ds max using WINE (Windows emulation) with reasonable success, which is impressive considering hardware accelerated rendering etc.

I'm running Linux. The Ubuntu variant. I like it. This is the 2nd laptop I have ran it on. Does everything I need to do so I dont miss windows and Microcrap in the least.

if you like virtualization try qubes-os.org it aint easy and wont work on most computer but it's amazing .
That OS is indeed supreme,unusual thing is that the developer is a woman,Polish.Cant remember her degrees.