Don Cherry

I think the world has gone far wonkier that we realize because its been slowly happening for 20 years. It really does feel like you can't voice your opinion if it doesn't coincide with with the latest super far left wing opion.

I seriously wonder if kids are even allowed to make teams by just saying "boys against girls" anymore

Unreal free speech is dead. Thanks radical left. How fitting is it that the man got fired on Remembrance Day, a day that is to remember people who fought for many things including free speech

i just came through customs/security at the airport back from mexico. After a long shitty day and being repeatedly fucked around flying, cocksucker CBS officer starts his interrogation. Where was i. Where fo i live. What is my job. What do i do there. Etc. I had enough. Told him mind his fucking business. All the while he is wearing a poppy. As much as I disagree with the official story why these brave men died, we are supposed to honour those that have died fighting for our freedom.
i have to keep asking, what fucking freedom?
Five years or less i am leaving this country and we are never coming back.

Fellas. You know I try hard to stay out of political discussion because frankly I trust that I know right from wrong but I don't have the detailed knowledge to engage in an arguments on these matters with those who will cite detailed political history, laws, precedents etc. So generally I stay in my lane. Doesn't mean I'm gonna bend the knee to some twerp based on a technicality tho.

For example, I taught my kids that if someone hits you you hit them back harder. If you take a swing at me I will swing back with the intention of ensuring that you will never swing at me again. I don't care if you are a man, woman, black, white, purple, dog, cat, whatever. Children and mentally I'll folks might get some consideration if I process that you are not a threat in my brain in time.

Let's be clear here, I'm not making any claim about how tough I am. I'm just saying that some things are basic and simple and don't need to be treated as anything more in my mind. I support everyone's right to defend their safety and enjoyment of life and I denounce any actions that take that away or infringe upon the same from anyone else.

I'm pissed about this Cherry thing because to me it's very clear and also dear to my heart. Turning some pretty simple statements into something they are not in this case has taken those rights away from a man and because of who he is in this country it represents another huge erosion of our basic human right to have an opinion and speak freely.

I have yet to see anyone who is criticizing Cherry state what is wrong with what he said if it's taken on it's face. These fucking whiners all want to comment on how they interpreted it or how it makes them feel.

Relevant? Sure feel free to express yourself.

Demanding consequences? Feel free to go Fuck Yourself.

PS - This whole post wasn't really for anyone reading, I needed somewhere to vent. Obviously I'm comfortable here, sadly I don't know if any thing I ever would say on the subject in a public forum of any kind will stand a chance of have an impact on these fucking snowflakes and gutless institutions like HNC or the networks. Political Fuckedness.

He is an 85 year old man saying 85 year old things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is correct here of course, something I might say myself, but for me it doesn't fit properly into the discussion if it is meant as any kind of defense.

So I can agree with the statement to a point but I never heard him say anything that wasn't legit currently. As I said above I don't know what he said wrong. Seems like the squeaky wheels have twisted it into something they can be outraged about instead of being brave enough to take what was said at face value. And then the powers that be have turtled yet again because they don't have the balls to incur the cost of pushing back.

The needs and thoughts of the few shouldn't trump the needs of the many. I've read articles that estimate that all of this internet noisy outrage we endure comes from less than 1% of the population. The jumping up and down and breathholding just tends to make it look like popular opinion

I think it was just something that gave hockey night in Canada reason to fire him. Long has it been rumoured that most wanted him out.

As far as what he said. It’s an opinion based on his own observations. I don’t think the intent was to sound racist.... although in a world where a black plastic pumpkin is made out to be a racist gesture by an entire company.....perhaps there should have been some foresight by a media veteran. Again age has something to do with his brashness and it is something he feels strongly about.

Idk.... I think the comments should have been made towards all those who don’t wear poppies. Cause I see a whole lot of people I wouldn’t call new Canadians not wearing them either.

At least the newer folks may not know the significance of wearing it.

i just came through customs/security at the airport back from mexico. After a long shitty day and being repeatedly fucked around flying, cocksucker CBS officer starts his interrogation. Where was i. Where fo i live. What is my job. What do i do there. Etc. I had enough. Told him mind his fucking business. All the while he is wearing a poppy. As much as I disagree with the official story why these brave men died, we are supposed to honour those that have died fighting for our freedom.
i have to keep asking, what fucking freedom?
Five years or less i am leaving this country and we are never coming back.

Just so you know.... you’ll face at least that.... or worse no matter what country you choose to live in. Don’t get me wrong... we have our problems here. But sometimes the devil you know is much better than the one you don’t.

I love Don cherry. Always have. Grew up watching him. Live few hours away. Have heard a lot about the private Don cherry and the good he has done. That stuff is kept private because as he has said an act of kindness is not measured.

Problem is he is saying what he said as an employee and his employer has the right to not support Don's personal views

I wish Don Cherry was a bit younger and interested in taking over leadership of the CPC...

I dont know if it was mentioned.. but apparently sportsnet said he could of kept his job. But he was not gonna apologize. He stood up for what he believes. Hats off to you

The cancel culture has such a hard-on for apologies. These modern day inquisitors want that act of ritual submission. It amounts to saying "you're right and I'm wrong". I'm so happy he didn't... tough old bastard

At 85 don doesn’t really give a fuck. I know I won’t if of when I get there. Just won’t have the platform don does so no one will pay any attention to my crazy old rants.

People are too worried hoping to be offended at things so then can take to their social media accounts to feel good about themselves.

I think there was a message mr. Cherry was trying to deliver to the public and it got lost terribly

Reactions: 3ml
Always enjoyed Don Cherry's straight up commentary. No sugar coating, no bs political correctness, just what's exactly on his mind, whether or not people agreed with him. His pride and expectations of Canada is beyond almost anyone I've ever seen. He didnt say anything racist at all as far as I'm concerned. He simply stated that he felt that newcomers (regardless of ethnicity) to Canada aren't respecting the major sacrifices that made this a great country. He always has been outspoken on behalf of veterans and soldiers and he was just doing the same again.
Many people treat remembrance day as a stat holiday and that's it. Every year I sit down with my kid and show him photos of family who died in service and tell him stories that were passed to me from my grandparents in WW2. We go to the local services and every year less and less people are there. I understand where Don is coming from and it's not just newcomers.
At 85, he was almost done anyway, but regardless, hockey won't be the same without him.