Did school prepare you for life?

Taureau

Administrator
Did school prepare you for life?

I am asking about the education system not the teachers that have to operate within that system

Nope! A simple thing like negotiating a loan with the bank was trial and error. I’m sure we could all write a short novel on the short comings of our so called education system and from I’m hearing it’s gotten even worse!

School prepared me for school. I would have to say a qualified yes, because I have never stopped learning. Some stuff you just can't learn in school though.

I agree, school prepared me to go to university (sort of)..

part time/ summer jobs prepared me more for life than school did.

Worst part of school was upon leaving high school having next to no exposure to jobs I might be interested in, yet being told I needed to decide what I wanted to do with my life as soon as I graduated.

It wasn't until I was about 28 that I knew what I wanted to do with my life and that is be a wild life biologist. But by the time I was 28 I already had 2 university degrees, 75k in debt for my degrees and I had a full time permenant job in my education field. With my debt and age, I made the adult decision to tough out my career for the sake of my debt and pension.

IMO, It’s all just experiences and it’s on you to glean learnings from each.

Many people focus on the actual content of what you’ll learn but I believe the true value is that it (mostly post secondary) teaches you a way of thinking and analyzing problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent 11 years in university and the most important and useful skill I gained from that experience was learning how to think. I don't mean how to do math or read/write, but how to look at a situation or issue and analyze from a number of different angles or viewpoints and contemplate a rational conclusion about it. I can't think of a much better skill to acquire in preparing you for life. It also helps me to steer clear of most of the freaking lunatics out there

I spent 11 years in university and the most important and useful skill I gained from that experience was learning how to think. I don't mean how to do math or read/write, but how to look at a situation or issue and analyze from a number of different angles or viewpoints and contemplate a rational conclusion about it. I can't think of a much better skill to acquire in preparing you for life. It also helps me to steer clear of most of the freaking lunatics out there

I agree whole heartedly...I spent almost 8 years in university...my 30 year career is not directly related to either of my two degrees but the problem solving I learned in university has made me successful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PdH

University more taught me how much I was capable of doing with my head when I actually decided I was going to sit down and learn/write a paper. It showed me what I was capable of doing with my brain.

Absolutely not!! Hell I was such a disturbance in grades 2,3,4 because I was so bored in class and not able to keep myself contained that I was expelled and made to go to another school, 3 km away in another subdivision. Later it came to light that I had a grade 12 reading and comprehension level, with a high level of math understanding. What a joke!!! Shit it was 81,82,83.....lol....and I got labeled a problem when I should have been bumped up grades. I was always suspended for disrupting class. Got given a 5-10 min lesson and 45 min of class work and would be done in 5 min easy...then fuck around till in trouble cause bored. I am the kid who perpetually had a desk in the hall outside the principal's office. I would get suspended regularly and get 4-5 days worth of school work, do it all the first day and fuck around all week. It was perfect. Fml, I wish things had been different then but when I saw this happening to my kids I spoke up....and they all turned out great!!! Very blessed to have been given other opportunities to get an education and be a positive example for my own.
Bottom line, NO!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

High school was decent. My average was enough to get accepted and scholarships into any Canadian University i applied. University was a disaster for me. I eventually went to a private collage to attain the education i needed for my current job.

I liked what @faller wrote about banks and loans. School did not prepare me for real life at all. I am lucky that my canoe partner who is a few years shy of 70, took me under his wing and has taught me so many life lessons.

School gave me a great career. But it did nothing to teach me what to do with the money I earn.

They need to emphasize basic financial planning as a part of the high school curriculum imo.

This could go a long ways for the kids who don’t have parents with the knowledge to pass on or the kids whom just don’t find success via the school route.

School provided me with an abundance of knowledge but it didn’t prepare me for experience in the field of work.

That being said; I still continue to learn and pursue further education. Which I can add to my current skillset and apply in the workplace.

My university education did not prepare me in anyway for my current employment or how I manage money. It did however help me when it comes to understanding people and the why behind descions that people make.

My money managing savvy came from my grandfather. Amazing man who did a lot in spite of many barriers. Whenever I’m up against something difficult I think about him and think about what he had to overcome and my stuff doesn’t seem so hard.

school was a place to go to put in time while I got old enough to be on my own. I have always been self taught. More of a give me a direction and a bit on information and I will figure it out kinda guy. In school as mentioned a few times I learned how to think. How to look at a situation and to see the many sides to it. And sometimes to see a side that perhaps others do not see. I am constantly learning and love to read.

They need to emphasize basic financial planning as a part of the high school curriculum imo.

This could go a long ways for the kids who don’t have parents with the knowledge to pass on or the kids whom just don’t find success via the school route.

School provided me with an abundance of knowledge but it didn’t prepare me for experience in the field of work.

That being said; I still continue to learn and pursue further education. Which I can add to my current skillset and apply in the workplace.

lol... So many people don't understand how loans work and how much they cost you. So many people live pay check to pay check because they can't sit down with a pencil and paper and calculate the cost of borrowing vs the cost of not buying new/waiting until you have a bigger down payment.

This also has to do with responsibility, but at the same time if you can't understand the math how can you make the responsible decision.

I really laugh when people ask me why I drive a banged up 12 year old truck... in my head I just picture my bank balance and smile.

School? You mean, indoctrination centre?!
The only thing it tries to do is give you just enough education to be a good tax paying member of society, that isn’t smart enough to question why. And whilst you’re at it, Respect authority, don’t stick your neck out, stay quiet and get on with your job so the government can rob you blind and keep you in indebted servitude until you die.