Demand / market for weight loss ?

Rocky

Trusted Member
Is there any demand or market for weight loss anymore?

After returning to Toronto, I can't say I've really seen anyone that is overweight, it's almost like it's pretty much general knowledge how to lose weight and stay healthy these days.

Curious if this is just an isolated observation on my end?

After returning to Toronto, I can't say I've really seen anyone that is overweight, it's almost like it's pretty much general knowledge how to lose weight and stay healthy these days.

Definitely isolated, if you have ever been to an oil camp, theres not many guys in shape. Most can barely get around

isolated observation

interesting, thanks for the heads up
Percent of overweight or obese Canadian adults based on BMI 2015-2021. In 2021, around 29 percent of adults aged 18 years and older in Canada were obese, while 36 percent were overweight.

Perhaps you just happened to be seeing alot of young adult, first generation immigrants that haven't adopted a western diet yet. That's not to say that south asian diets are all that much better. India has rampant diabetes in it's population.

Percent of overweight or obese Canadian adults based on BMI 2015-2021. In 2021, around 29 percent of adults aged 18 years and older in Canada were obese, while 36 percent were overweight.

Perhaps you just happened to be seeing alot of young adult, first generation immigrants that haven't adopted a western diet yet. That's not to say that south asian diets are all that much better. India has rampant diabetes in it's population.
I was deemed obese by a life insurance company about 7 years ago because i was 230lbs (6’1”)
Didn’t matter I had abs and clearly earned muscle definition. I was denied.
This was with one of their reps coming to my house for an in person health assessment.
Obese is a vague term. Statistics say I should be in the 170s or some dumb shit like that…

I do believe you but I wouldn't believe most people frankly.
Perchance did you happen to wander into the Toronto Marathon? Anorexic Awareness March? Bulimia Support Group Convention?

I was deemed obese by a life insurance company about 7 years ago because i was 230lbs (6’1”)
This was with one of their reps coming to my house for an in person health assessment.
Obese is a vague term. Statistics say I should be in the 170s or some dumb shit like that…

Have had similar experiences within the medical world. I've come to understand that as you say the definition of obesity is vague in that it changes depending on who is using it and how it suits their needs. Common thought and the WHO definition is that it refers to fat content but the insurance industry and some parts of the medical community refuse to look past BMI.

I suppose there is some validity to it, insurance and liability concerns rely on massive amounts of statistical data to successfully gamble. Heavier guys that are actually healthy must be showing up as high risk even if due to factors unrelated to fat percentage.

As a trainer most of my business comes from people primarily wanting to lose weight. And working in the hospital as a Dietitian, obesity is still one of the biggest issues.

As if they couldn't use body at percentage, what a joke.

As a trainer most of my business comes from people primarily wanting to lose weight. And working in the hospital as a Dietitian, obesity is still one of the biggest issues.
Alot of people are over weight without realizing it. People who are skinny fat will call them selves average but have waste measurements that predict insulin resistance and pre-diabetes.

Come out to northern alberta everyone is fat as fuck . Actually pretty much anywhere in alberta. Especially people over forty .
Shit I was in the unites states a couoke
Months ago , holy fuck! I very second person in that country is a tub of shit . Back rolls with back rolls . Im sure there’s definitely a market for fat loss lol

I can understand to some degree why insurance uses BMI. One is because they're crooks, the other is because being heavy is excess stress on your organs but BMI is still a shitty metric. Look at Greg Doucette he has under 10% bf and does a shit ton of bicycle cardio eats clean and is in phenomenal shape but he's technically obese.

Honestly if I was an underwriter I would probably deny bodybuilders or put a premium just because of the heart problems that seem to be fairly common.

As for the op question, I think most people I see are fat, men and women especially if they're above 30.

Alot of people are over weight without realizing it. People who are skinny fat will call them selves average but have waste measurements that predict insulin resistance and pre-diabetes.
I heard a statistic that found 70% of people consider themselves to be fit while only 18% actually are. Pretty crazy how delusional people are if that's true.

I heard a statistic that found 70% of people consider themselves to be fit while only 18% actually are. Pretty crazy how delusional people are if that's true.
My coworkers all think they're fit but I assure you they are not.

That sounds like a sneaky way to refuse someone they suspected of juicing.

I can understand to some degree why insurance uses BMI. One is because they're crooks, the other is because being heavy is excess stress on your organs but BMI is still a shitty metric. Look at Greg Doucette he has under 10% bf and does a shit ton of bicycle cardio eats clean and is in phenomenal shape but he's technically obese.

Honestly if I was an underwriter I would probably deny bodybuilders or put a premium just because of the heart problems that seem to be fairly common.

As for the op question, I think most people I see are fat, men and women especially if they're above 30.

It probably goes against the grain from many thought here but high BMI, whether or not you're fat or lean is typically a good indicator on lifespan

Not many old jacked dudes walking around and theres a biological reason for it, typically smaller people live longer

i dont think anyone who carries a lot of mass, whether muscle or fat would have a longer lifespan than if the same exact person was skinny, my thoughts are based on chronic mTOR stimulation decreasing lifespan

Come out to northern alberta everyone is fat as fuck . Actually pretty much anywhere in alberta. Especially people over forty .
Shit I was in the unites states a couoke
Months ago , holy fuck! I very second person in that country is a tub of shit . Back rolls with back rolls . Im sure there’s definitely a market for fat loss lol
Interesting,

I was thinking of marketing a weight loss guide of some sort, it seems pretty straight forward and i think theres a lot of misconceptions about it along with misinformation which is why a lot of people have trouble with their weight loss goals. Although there are many different methods and strategies, I think there are a few things that can cause optimal weight loss that is already common information but at the same time rarely implemented.

prior I noticed a lot of overweight people when going out but recently I have very rarely seen anyone who is overweight in toronto

It probably goes against the grain from many thought here but high BMI, whether or not you're fat or lean is typically a good indicator on lifespan

Not many old jacked dudes walking around and theres a biological reason for it, typically smaller people live longer

i dont think anyone who carries a lot of mass, whether muscle or fat would have a longer lifespan than if the same exact person was skinny, my thoughts are based on chronic mTOR stimulation decreasing lifespan
It's kinda like other animals a great Dane has a much shorter lifespan than a shih tzu, mTOR is another reason for sure but in general bigger animals have shorter lives than similar smaller animals. I'm not super concerned about living to 100 or something if I was I'd live differently, my grandfather was an alcoholic and had a heart problem at like 53 but lived to be over 90 but I know some people live very healthy lives and.die young. I'm just doing my thing and living mostly in moderation I doubt the world is going to be a place I enjoy in 50 years it seems to be on a path to a dystopian future.

Interesting,

I was thinking of marketing a weight loss guide of some sort, it seems pretty straight forward and i think theres a lot of misconceptions about it along with misinformation which is why a lot of people have trouble with their weight loss goals. Although there are many different methods and strategies, I think there are a few things that can cause optimal weight loss that is already common information but at the same time rarely implemented.

prior I noticed a lot of overweight people when going out but recently I have very rarely seen anyone who is overweight in toronto
Pretty much everyone understands what they need to do they just lack the discipline to do it.