Breaking the bank

millenium girl

Just her
Trusted Member
Our government wants us to be broke by the end of the year. Last Friday was Black Friday and today is Cyber Monday. In Belgium parenfs need to buy presents for their kids on Dec 6 because it is what's called la "St Nicolas", then you have Christmas and the New Year. This society pushes people to overconsumption which isn't good.

Also when you go to a supermarket there are always what look like bargains "buy one, get one free" on fruits and veggies for example and it has been proven that people buy more than they actually need and that half of it ends up in the garbage can.

That was my rant of the day :rolleyes:

But the really kool thing is you have a choice, buy or don't buy. Isn't that kool??

This is true people have a choice. Unfortunately the vast majority of people aren't smart enough to realize that happiness doesn't reside in 'stuff'. Capitalist society and media have been banking on that since the industrial revolution and have spent more money than we could count reinforcing that idea in the populace. Companies spend money to advertise because it influences behaviour.

Its important to keep in mind that the people who run these corporations love filling the country with cheap labor. An endless army of foreign consumers at the cost of any national identity, shared traditions or shared heritage. The mass importation of these hostile cultures will inevitably lead to the destruction and Balkanization of the western world.

The real question is, if modern capitalism has failed what is the alternative?

Capitalism has never been practiced on earth. The US came close but that quickly went down the toilet with the Sherman act of 1890.

Well it depends I suppose on your definition of capitalism. The system has private ownership of industry and free markets to an extent. I guess you are right and could say it is not pure capitalism, in the classical liberal sense.

But my problem with the classical liberal worldview is that it considers only the individual and never the interests of the masses. There is more to a worldview than simply material possessions and capitalism ignores as stated previously culture, tradition , history and national heritage. An obsession with the fantacy of innate and international “human rights” when the only rights you have are those granted and protected by your national community.

I’m not a Marxist and I would consider myself an anti Marxist. But I can see that liberalism has done exactly what it’s s inevitable conclusion was. The break up and dissolution of the national community to an atomized and separated group of individuals only working towards their own interests and desires. Forsaking all else for the procurement of material wealth and perverted desires.

Well it depends I suppose on your definition of capitalism. The system has private ownership of industry and free markets to an extent. I guess you are right and could say it is not pure capitalism, in the classical liberal sense. But my problem with the classical liberal worldview is that it considers only the individual and never the interests of the masses. There is more to a worldview than simply material possessions and capitalism ignores as stated previously culture, tradition , history and national heritage. An obsession with the fantacy of innate and international “human rights” when the only rights you have are those granted and protected by your national community. I’m not a Marxist and I would consider myself an anti Marxist. But I can see that liberalism has done exactly what it’s s inevitable conclusion was. The break up and dissolution of the national community to an atomized and separated group of individuals only working towards their own interests and desires. Forsaking all else for the procurement of material wealth and perverted desires.

Well stated. I completely agree.