Blood work questions

Cheapshot

Trusted Member
Ok, So i have a new doc and hes sending me for bloodwork. Hes got free testosterone checked off. Im running 160mg so i should be normal. But Im wondering if there's anything else I should test? I dont know what any of this stuff is besides test and rbc ...lol

My other option would be to stop my test for a few weeks and tank my test. I would probably get put on trt but I have no benefits

Last edited:
I suspect that 160mg you will not hit his definition of normal...unless you are 250 or above.

Most doctors are only OK with free test being between 500 and 700 at the upper level. many GPs want it between four and 500. Some TRT Dr are ok up to 800

100mg put me around 600...160 would put me over 900 for sure and with a little ai I would be 1100.

Other test include E2 and ferritin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect that 160mg you will not hit his definition of normal...unless you are 250 or above.

Most doctors are only OK with free test being between 500 and 700 at the upper level. many GPs want it between four and 500. Some TRT Dr are ok up to 800

100mg put me around 600...160 would put me over 900 for sure and with a little ai I would be 1100.

Other test include E2 and ferritin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, this helps tremendously. maybe i will skip my next week shot. It has test udeconate in it so its like a 21 day half life..lol

Free Thyroxine (FT4)
Free Triiodothyronine (FT3)
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
Cortisol
Full lipid panel
Testosterone
Sex Hormone Binding Globulin(SHBG)
Free Androgen Index(FAI)
Oestradiol
Prolactin
Feratin
Prostate(PSA)

There might be a few more but these are all very important to monitor your health. @gondar1 would be the best one to comment.

I also agree with @Oldguyjiujitsu, 160mg/week will more than likely put you above the high end of normal.

A couple more:
Creatinine
Creatine
Urea
Bicarbonate
Potassium
Choride
Sodium
Fasting Glucose
Glomerular Filtration Rate (eGFR)
Biochemical Investigation of Anemias
Iron
Transferrin
TIBC
Transferrin Saturation
Ferritin (already mentioned by DeviousD)
Calcium
Phosphate
Albumin
Alkaline Phosphatase
Alanine Aminotransferase

Ok, So i have a new doc and hes sending me for bloodwork. Hes got free testosterone checked off. Im running 160mg so i should be normal. But Im wondering if there's anything else I should test? I dont know what any of this stuff is besides test and rbc ...lol

My other option would be to stop my test for a few weeks and tank my test. I would probably get put on trt but I have no benefits
My doc only checks me.for bio available testosterone.

Free Thyroxine (FT4)
Free Triiodothyronine (FT3)
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
Cortisol
Full lipid panel
Testosterone
Sex Hormone Binding Globulin(SHBG)
Free Androgen Index(FAI)
Oestradiol
Prolactin
Feratin
Prostate(PSA)

There might be a few more but these are all very important to monitor your health. @gondar1 would be the best one to comment.

I also agree with @Oldguyjiujitsu, 160mg/week will more than likely put you above the high end of normal.
A couple more:
Creatinine
Creatine
Urea
Bicarbonate
Potassium
Choride
Sodium
Fasting Glucose
Glomerular Filtration Rate (eGFR)
Iron
Transferrin
TIBC
Transferrin Saturation
Ferritin (already mentioned by DeviousD)
Calcium
Phosphate
Albumin
Alkaline Phosphatase
Alanine Aminotransferase

If were going to post recommendations for what labwork to get done, we should also be posting the reason why for EACH and what your looking for?
This is essentially just a list of almost everything on a common lab requsition and the vast majority does not to be tested in this context at all ...

If were going to post recommendations for what labwork to get done, we should also be posting the reason why for EACH and what your looking for?
This is essentially just a list of almost everything on a common lab requsition and the vast majority does not to be tested in this context at all ...
Read the link posted. Its explains every one of them.

Read the link posted. Its explains every one of them.

You misunderstand my comment.
I'm not talking about a list of what each test 'is'...
I'm saying that if people are going to recommend labwork to get done on a 'Ask A Healthcare Professional' thread; they should be able to back up WHY they are testing each of those, and even more importantly, what your looking for, and what you would do with an abnormal result....

The EXTENSIVE lists ive seen posted show me that these recommendations are not made be a healthcare provider and im challanging that

I'm saying that if people are going to recommend labwork to get done on a 'Ask A Healthcare Professional' thread; they should be able to back up WHY they are testing each of those, and even more importantly, what your looking for, and what you would do with an abnormal result....

The EXTENSIVE lists ive seen posted show me that these recommendations are not made be a healthcare provider and im challanging that
Is that not what this is????????
https://www.canadianbrawn.com/threads/bloodwork-knowledge-posted-by-masswithclass.464/

No it isnt...
For 80-90% of the tests listed, there is no clinical indication any of these need to be ordered, even in the setting of AAS's

The point is, im happy to recommend labwork that I would want done on myself (and actually be high-yield), but I would need to know more about you and why your 'new doc' is requesting labwork.... Are you taking TRT? Why? Primary vs Secondary hypogonad? Any other medication conditions or abnormal results? Did you present to your physician with a complaint of something or is this screening?

No it isnt...
For 80-90% of the tests listed, there is no clinical indication any of these need to be ordered, even in the setting of AAS's

The point is, im happy to recommend labwork that I would want done on myself (and actually be high-yield), but I would need to know more about you and why your 'new doc' is requesting labwork.... Are you taking TRT? Why? Primary vs Secondary hypogonad? Any other medication conditions or abnormal results? Did you present to your physician with a complaint of something or is this screening?
Because im 35 years old and never had a check up. Ive been on aas and trt for 2 years straight, probably long overdo. He does not know i am on trt yet

That wasn't the question.
What I posted was:
General Chemistry and tests needed for anEGFR
I should have posted a Random Urine Chemistry/ Albumin Creatinine Ratio Urine but felt it wasn't needed if an eGFR was in there.

@Cheapshot

CBC
Lytes
Creatinine
ALT
ALP
TSH
A1C
Lipid Panel
Testosterone (Total)
E2
I would also consider an STD screen

If fertility is an issue in the near future, I would PCT off, let things normalize and do a semen analysis too....
At this point if testosterone is surpressed, then you can consider doing bioavailable testosterone and referral to Endo for fertility treatments

Last edited:
That wasn't the question.
What I posted was:
General Chemistry and tests needed for anEGFR
I should have posted a Random Urine Chemistry/ Albumin Creatinine Ratio Urine but felt it wasn't needed if an eGFR was in there.

Dont need this. What i posted above is sufficient