Anyone on here a mason or work with concrete

Sorbate

Board Dumbass
Trusted Member
Anyhow I’m parging my bricks down my stairs in my garage, now water seeps thru the bricks there, the reason I used a concrete product, so I could keep leaching.
But I want to paint it, I was thinking mixing a portland paint and mixin a dye in it.
Now I hear you can use latex paint, but will that effect the water leaching properties, see I don’t want to stop the water, because if I just paint over with paint, well it will peel and look like shit.
That’s why Portland paint. Or should I just add an oxide dye?
Also can I save this watery paint mixture, like normal paint? It’s just I want a consistant color all the way around my garage at the base and I may not be able to do it all at once.

So I went down the rabbit hole and started to watch vids on how to do repair work and so on, even though I have zero other projects for this. Another item I have learned I will never use, lol.

One thing I did learn was a coat of Portland paint on the concrete around my pool will refresh the concrete I was wondering how I coukd make look new again.

I’ve been watching this guy

I started as a bricky but hated my life.

If I’m reading correctly you want colour the concrete parging. I’ve done this with stamped but only small single batch of concrete areas. Just make sure the colour is throughly mixed so you done get swirls.

I keep thinking I want to start doing renos again but then I remember I have no time. 🤷‍♂️

I started as a bricky but hated my life.

If I’m reading correctly you want colour the concrete parging. I’ve done this with stamped but only small single batch of concrete areas. Just make sure the colour is throughly mixed so you done get swirls.

I keep thinking I want to start doing renos again but then I remember I have no time. 🤷‍♂️
I was going to take portand concrete, mix extra water into it to make it a paint like consistancy then add the color into that. So essentially paint, but paint out of concrete. This way it can still breathe the moisture and not peel like normal paint does off of concrete that seeps water.

See they did a shit job water proofing basements in the 70’s. But since I only get a bit of water leajkimg thru at this spot, and all I had to do was grind the concrete on the floor to make a bowl shape and drill a hole to act like a drain to the gravel below (so little water, but enough that if you put a non water pervous coating it will peel). My deck is on the other side of the wall and no way I’m tearing that out to fix such a very minor issue that isn’t inside my house. I can guarntee it’s been leaking like this for likely forever. Previous owner, who was the only owner tried to repair it to seal it with that waterproof paint, but that doesn't work, because the cinderbrick breaks down on the surface and it peels off. That’s why doing that in the inside wall of a basement doesn’t work, not with cinderbricks anyways. They asorb way more water than normal concrete. It’s actually the worst thing you can do, because your bricks start to break down and then need to be fixed in the future. If the water passes thru, things are fine. Well for longer anyways.

Only in the spring did I get any puddling, and the concrete was angled towards the door, so I’d get some in my basement, but so little I could use a towel to asorb it over a 10 hour period. Right now it’s damp, but doesn’t leak thru. Actually since I parged the first coat It’s even better, because it’s wicks out over a larger area and evaporates, lol.

Last edited: