What is delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS)?

I always have believed that doms is a good thing, because it’s your bodies reaction to the damage it has received and causes repair.
My belief is if we try to get rid of it thru supplements that blunt the inflammation response, would our bodies then not react strong enough to rebuild the tissue at highest amount?

Here is my thought on this. If you have a stretched ligament, and it’s long term, it is believed that your body ignores repairing it, because it seems to be “Normal”, so they will inject an irritant into the ligament to cause inflimation, there by having your body reconize it and an issue and then it repairs it.

Anyhow just thinking out loud

Ok now serious. I always have a certain amount of DOMS about a day or two after I train.
I get it especially in my hamstrings. But if I’m on cycle I only get a bit stiff. But on trt, I will be sore.

If I didn’t feel something the next couple days, I figure I didn’t push it hard enough.

I never get DOMs, ever. Wish I did, there’s nothing makes you feel like you’ve given it 110%! The only time I’ll get some is if I’ve taken an extended time off and then hit it hard right out of the gate, other than that some tightness when stretching the worked muscle group. Now my wife, she just looks at a DB and she has DOMS. 🤷‍♂️

My wife and I having our morning coffee and we ended up talking about DOMS and we’re wandering, does anyone ever get them in the delts or biceps?

My wife and I having our morning coffee and we ended up talking about DOMS and we’re wandering, does anyone ever get them in the delts or biceps?
Yep. I can feel my delts a couple of days after a good workout. They generally loosen up when I start my punching routine. Often the DOMS is also in the biceps. They don't loosen up as well.

My bis will feel tight, but I don’t think I have ever had DOms. I know one time me and a buddy trained arms so hard, teh the next day at work I was picking something up and my bi’s both charllie horsed.

I will get it in shoulders, but nothing like other body parts. Hamstrings are the worst for me, especially if I do stiff leg deadlifts.

I'll get doms next day from good workouts like anyone else but I always get this bad when doing things I'm not used to esp if I forget to stretch or warmup, like climbing ladders up and down on gutter day, or last week relocating a springfree trampoline. If anyone here has ever done this solo you'll know that removing the springs takes a certain technique that will destroy your right arm and upper quad and prob your back cuz there are so many of them, then putting it all back together. It was brutal

I almost feel like getting DOMS is counter productive. What i mean by that is it's a sign I've over worked the muscle. Now CNS fatigue as messed up as it is, thats something i welcome, its my cue to back off and let my body grow systematically.

You guys don't get DOMS in your biceps? I've had days where I couldn't move my elbow it was so bad.

Rear and front delts I might get DOMS once in a while but sides never... I run the rack with lateral raise once every two weeks doing 50+ reps to failure for my last set still nothing🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
You guys don't get DOMS in your biceps? I've had days where I couldn't move my elbow it was so bad.

Rear and front delts I might get DOMS once in a while but middle never and I run the rack with lateral raise once every two weeks doing 50+ reps to failure in 1 set.🤷‍♂️
I havent got DOMS in my biceps since i was 15 lol. My chest is about the only place ill get it now and then.

I havent got DOMS in my biceps since i was 15 lol. My chest is about the only place ill get it now and then.
I get DOMS everywhere except side delts. Usually it will last 4-5 days which is why I decided to go back to training each muscle group once every 5-7 days. I have better results that way anyway.

DOMS/ shaking were so bad when I started training again I couldn't drive my car and would get stuck at the gym not able to use the clutch 😅

Last edited:

Oh I do, I have to remember not to do arm day on or before a day that I want to shave my head cuz my arm will seize at the elbow, and then I've got a buzz line down my head that I cant walk away from so it takes forever to finish the job alternating arms to try and not get elbow lockup

Nope. Definitely feeling fatigued for a couple days after but never DOMS. Only muscle group I’ll get them is maybe calves and that’s most likely because I don’t train them frequently enough 😂
I train my calves 2-3 x a week as there's not a whole lot you can do for them. I have very well developed calves but most corn-fed fat fucks like myself have good calves just from walking to the fridge 30 times a day😜