What are the risks of using acid reflux drugs long term?

I'd only be guessing, but I'm pretty sure I got it from a podcast as I listened to a couple in particular when I was suffering from AR. I will see if I can track them down. I know for sure it wasn't a main topic, just a side note so it be a bit of listening but I did learn lots from the podcasts so may be worth a listen.

So the one podcast I listened to was called The Reflux Cycle by "The Acid Reflux Guy". I believe he has a best-selling book as well if you prefer to read. However, the information you were looking for, I don't believe I heard it there. Racking my brain yesterday I remember the guy being a guest on a show and I don't think this guy had guests (maybe tho?). Anyways, if I stumble across it I will le you know but my memory isn't the best and I listen to so many podcasts that going back in my history wasn't helpful.

I did learn some stuff from the podcast tho if you are inclined to check it out.

Hi @animal-inside - thanks for the info. Yes, she has a scope from both ends. No ulcers or signs of irritation. If you look up heartburn pain it describes her symptoms pretty much to a T. I researched my own books - older medical books, new medical books and Naturopathic books. ACV worked the best for her so she uses it. The gastroenteritis wanted to a lower one as well and she wanted an answer. Blood tests, urinalysis, and a general work up with questions. At the end it was just medication for Gerd which did not work well.
I get it once a month or every other month and Tums kills it instantly, I'm lucky. No idea what triggers it but most likely some food. She also followed the guide for foods to avoid.
We don't smoke or drink. We both will have a few drinks at a party (people we know) or over indulge once a year but never been a big drinker. Never enjoyed it except cold beer on a hot day or a good single malt scotch.
Appreciate you taking the time to write all this out.

If ACV works for her and you are postive her issue is too high of acidity, then I'd keep going as is.. maybe even eliminate foods she eats a lot and see if there's one food cuasing it?

If your not 100% convinced its high acidity and maybe actually low acid, try these.. 1 taken in the middle of a meal.. if it helps, move to 2 with each meal.. if you get no sides (warm stomach, burny stomach) than go back to 1 a meal.. Keep going up until you get the burn/warm stomach, then scale it back 1 pill less than the amount that caused the sides.

Had to take tecta for a long time myself.

My issue was smoking too much weed /cigarettes and overeating. Once I stopped, I didn’t need tecta anymore.

Yea nicotine I think dilates the esophageal muscle
The funny thing is I still consume nicotine through vapes, even more than I would consume through cigarettes. I did not have any issues. But I have stopped eating too much and stopped sugars. The shit would wake me up in the middle of the night and I’d have to take the meds with tums alongside.

Acid reflux is what u take tums for right? My foster mom ate one of those large like 200 tab bottles of tums a week, she thought it tasted good, and she lost all her teeth because the ph in her body got all fucked up. She brushed and flossed but still they just got gigantic holes in them and all fell out over the course of a few months from when it started, by the time she realised what was causing it, it was already too late it just progressed.... she had been taking the tums religiously for well over a year

Last edited:
How do u guys not eat enough acid though? Like is it more so that your body produces less of it? Good to know not enough acid could be a reason. I've never really had it before, the only time I can think was the one time I ate a monster burger at a&w.... the 9 Pattie 1/4pounder patties. Back then the monster burger with a large onion ring and large root beer was 18$. Now a basic combo is that price lol