What are SHBG and Albumin?

DeviousD

Trusted Member
Found this information on SHBG and albumin that is explained in layman terms, it makes the understanding of the importance of their functions alot more clear.
I'm looking into getting this doctors book, there is a link at the end of the article if anyone else is interested.

Edit....removed the link because it is now corrupt and causing issues on my computer.

Last edited:
I have been interested in the function of SHBG after tanking mine from taking too much Aromasin therefore tanking my Estrogen.
It is know that estrogen directly effects the livers ability to make SHBG.
What I didn't know and learned in this article was:
SHBG is a protector: Testosterone cannot survive the strong destructive mechanisms in the liver, and the body knows that. It is pretty awesome, then, that the liver produces SHBG to protect crucial hormones from its destructive powers. Testosterone bound to SHBG can safely pass the liver without being broken down. This is perhaps one of SHBG’s most obvious and important functions.

I did not know this before but now it makes total sense to me as to why someone with low SHBG benefits from smaller more frequent shots and also makes sense as to why Dr. Chrisler says that low SHBG patients tend to be super excretors!

When I ranked my estrogen which tanked my SHBG I was taking 100mg of test prop EOD and when I had bloodwork done 48hrs after my last injection my total test was only 237ng/dL, it should have been aleast 499ng/dl.
Of course my initial reaction was to think that the test was bunk but it was from one of the top ug lab in the country...surely they wouldn't be selling bunk test prop so before I foolishly made serious allegations I did everything I could to try to find out what the hell was happening....this totally explains what it was!

Just so you guys know I never contacted the lab and made wild accusations....I did my own research to find out why and it was MY fault, not the labs.