Torn ACL and No Surgery + Rotator Cuff Partial Tear

entropy

Trusted Member
I have a fully torn right ACL. I have had it for about 8 months. Initially I had pain but now I don’t. When I saw the surgeon he said I wouldn’t operate on it because my knee isn’t popping out of place. I have not trained with it as of yet. Just regular activities and some jogging. Did not push myself and do not know what will happen. I asked if I can still train and play sports, the doctor said yes.

Has anyone else continued their lives and went hard with no issues?

Any suggestions? I plan on getting back to serious training and physical activity.

Second problem: I have a partial subscapularis tear and did not do physio like an idiot and it did get better but full range of motion gives me pain. It’s been 6 months since this happened. I will start physio and peptides as soon as possible. Main reason I ordered GH as well.

Question: Has anyone fully healed from partial tears? How long did it take you to be 100% or does it never get to 100%? Did you use peptides?

I appreciate any relevant response. Doesn’t matter if it’s something you’ve read or from experience. I don’t mind responses for shits and giggles as well 🙃

I know partial tears should heal on their own as long as they aren't fully detached. I don't know about different body parts but for my shoulders and ankles it's been this way just needed time to heal. I don't about your specific body parts and the types of injuries but if the doc says it's OK then hell yea man. I hope it goes well brother frig it sucks being out of commission

I should just start slow I guess.

Never wrapped my knees before so I should start doing that too while training.

I just want to be able to run and jump again. If surgery is a must, I wanna start making shit up so they take me in. Another big bro I look up to said he had the ACL surgery and they give you 20 years of mileage. He’s over that period and he’s still great. Told me I should I get it.

I have a friend that is a physiotherapist, he says that one year without an ACL is equal to 10 years wear and tear on the meniscus and other knee components. Get ACLs fixed.

As as @biguglynewf said do lots of hamstring and other strengthening work in advance of the surgery as it will expedite recovery.

If it’s a complete tear on the acl get the surgery . It won’t heal itself . As for shoulder you have a partial tear of the subscapularis , that you can live with .. you have 4 muscles that make up your rotator cuff . Strengthen the other three . I’ve had two of the muscles tear right off the bone and I still worked out for years .. it was until I was older that I got the surgery cause the pain eventually got too bad

Find another surgeon.

Get the repair done.

The best you cam do in the meantime is train your hamstrings for strength and quickness.

When the knee does slide, and it will, ( the acl is critical for joint stability) it will make you feel sick.
Agreed. Don't mess with your knees, regardless of the injury type. You will find the stability in your knee will go to crap and cause concurrent injuries. You don't want to have bionic knees down the road.

Find another surgeon.

Get the repair done.

The best you cam do in the meantime is train your hamstrings for strength and quickness.

When the knee does slide, and it will, ( the acl is critical for joint stability) it will make you feel sick.
I have a friend that is a physiotherapist, he says that one year without an ACL is equal to 10 years wear and tear on the meniscus and other knee components. Get ACLs fixed.

As as @biguglynewf said do lots of hamstring and other strengthening work in advance of the surgery as it will expedite recovery.
If it’s a complete tear on the acl get the surgery . It won’t heal itself . As for shoulder you have a partial tear of the subscapularis , that you can live with .. you have 4 muscles that make up your rotator cuff . Strengthen the other three . I’ve had two of the muscles tear right off the bone and I still worked out for years .. it was until I was older that I got the surgery cause the pain eventually got too bad
Agreed. Don't mess with your knees, regardless of the injury type. You will find the stability in your knee will go to crap and cause concurrent injuries. You don't want to have bionic knees down the road.

Wow wow wow 🤩

Thank you fellas, my goodness this has lifted so much weight off my shoulders. I’ve had anxiety cuz of this on a daily basis. I appreciate the wisdom all of you have shared with me. I will follow the right path and do as you guys say. I cannot thank you fellas enough.

Happy Mother’s Day

Never ever stop advocating for yourself.

Docs have good and bad days....but an ortho who says he doesn't see merit in an acl repair is a shit bag surgeon.

Even for someone who is only moderately active, it makes sense to do.

1684151338746.png

Never ever stop advocating for yourself.

Docs have good and bad days....but an ortho who says he doesn't see merit in an acl repair is a shit bag surgeon.

Even for someone who is only moderately active, it makes sense to do.

View attachment 50713
You are absolutely correct. I was going to see him again and try to convince him but I’m going to look for another surgeon instead thanks to you @biguglynewf!

Even though I don’t feel pain and instability, should I refrain from running, jumping, and light weight squatting? What about leg extensions? I will work the hamstrings and calves for sure and the “good girl, bad girl” machine for the abductors and adductors.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Well. You can't really do anymore damage....at least to the ligament.
Do you know if you have any meniscus damage? You don't want to further damage it.

Anything that requires stability will be an issue. The joint will not have stability and it will move. Mine made me want to barf when it went out. Didn't really hurt...was just weird and uncomfortable. Pressure.

Leg extensions would suck because of the pressure points resting both above and below the knee. I would sysy away bevaise i cant see it being very fun.

Work those hams like a beast. Squatting light could be OK if you can keep the joint stable....but you don't want that thing moving with weight on it. And you want to be sure you're not going to fuck, or further fuck your meniscus.

Well. You can't really do anymore damage....at least to the ligament.
Do you know if you have any meniscus damage? You don't want to further damage it.

Anything that requires stability will be an issue. The joint will not have stability and it will move. Mine made me want to barf when it went out. Didn't really hurt...was just weird and uncomfortable. Pressure.

Leg extensions would suck because of the pressure points resting both above and below the knee. I would sysy away bevaise i cant see it being very fun.

Work those hams like a beast. Squatting light could be OK if you can keep the joint stable....but you don't want that thing moving with weight on it. And you want to be sure you're not going to fuck, or further fuck your meniscus.
Thanks a million!

I now have some direction.

That’s a weird thing to hear about you barfing, almost sounds like those athletes who push themselves beyond their limit during training and start barfing. Maybe it’s an underlying safety mechanism we have.

I don’t have meniscus damage but I do feel out of balance especially when I climb up hills or climb stairs.

I’m gonna do as you say and get those leg biceps (hamstrings) as strong as possible. Thanks again.

Been reading that I need surgery for the rotator cuffs too as it does not heal by itself but some places say partial tears may heal. It’s been too many months with no improvement. I’m looking at a long road to recovery. Fuck. Got me so depressed I want to go grab liquor and quit. I will NOT thanks to all the help from everyone! 🤗

Thanks a million!

I now have some direction.

That’s a weird thing to hear about you barfing, almost sounds like those athletes who push themselves beyond their limit during training and start barfing. Maybe it’s an underlying safety mechanism we have.

I don’t have meniscus damage but I do feel out of balance especially when I climb up hills or climb stairs.

I’m gonna do as you say and get those leg biceps (hamstrings) as strong as possible. Thanks again.

Been reading that I need surgery for the rotator cuffs too as it does not heal by itself but some places say partial tears may heal. It’s been too many months with no improvement. I’m looking at a long road to recovery. Fuck. Got me so depressed I want to go grab liquor and quit. I will NOT thanks to all the help from everyone! 🤗

I'm loving BUN's post here. I'm a fellow near barfer. Blown knees and ankles have put me on the ground dozens of times. Only the knee sliding right out of place makes me feel sick though. In retrospect it's kind of funny, rolling around holding my stomach with my hand over my mouth, everyone around tryna figure out what I've hurt, first guess is not the knee. I get a touch of that same nausea when i see it on a video now, can't watch it lol.

Hard to know without all the really detailed info but from what you are saying itt I'd be inclined to get both surgeries, the knee is pretty much a no brainer if you want to be anything more than a couch potato. I've had both shoulders done multiple times and every time it wasn't just the tear that was the problem but rather all the other damage in the joint, bone chips, labral tears etc.

It's been a long time since I had a surgery, possibly facing one rn actually, but confidence is high. They get better and better all the time, arthroscopic techniques are amazing with regard to recovery. The last knee surgery I had a fair while back I walked out the door to the car about a half hour after I woke up.

I'm loving BUN's post here. I'm a fellow near barfer. Blown knees and ankles have put me on the ground dozens of times. Only the knee sliding right out of place makes me feel sick though. In retrospect it's kind of funny, rolling around holding my stomach with my hand over my mouth, everyone around tryna figure out what I've hurt, first guess is not the knee. I get a touch of that same nausea when i see it on a video now, can't watch it lol.

Hard to know without all the really detailed info but from what you are saying itt I'd be inclined to get both surgeries, the knee is pretty much a no brainer if you want to be anything more than a couch potato. I've had both shoulders done multiple times and every time it wasn't just the tear that was the problem but rather all the other damage in the joint, bone chips, labral tears etc.

It's been a long time since I had a surgery, possibly facing one rn actually, but confidence is high. They get better and better all the time, arthroscopic techniques are amazing with regard to recovery. The last knee surgery I had a fair while back I walked out the door to the car about a half hour after I woke up.
I’ve been reading up on partial tears and it says if it doesn’t get better within six months, then surgery is a must.

I found a really good surgeon and another hospital, the man apparently is the surgeon for the players or the blue jays. I will get a referral tomorrow and will try to get them both fixed by the same surgeon. This shit got me so depressed. All this means is I will go extreme on losing all the fat I can. Already went from 225 to 186 lbs. I had turned into a couch potato. Turning everything around. The road to recovery will be maddening but I will prevail. Thank you fellas. This thread changed my life.

I feel for you, @entropy. My first knee injury was a torn meniscus, and my Doc, the doctor of the Maple Leafs, wanted to use conservative physio methods for a six-week stint. During this period, I had to learn to walk again and had an excellent physiotherapist who said on day one that the knee needed surgery. It took, give or take, three months to get a referral with a surgeon who was also with the Leafs. He took one look at my knee and said he had to go in. Two weeks later, I was under the knife, and the prognosis was not good. I was told I would not be able to do anything with the knee: no squats, leg extensions and absolutely no kicks. I didn't listen to him and slowly returned to training, albeit with a somewhat arthritic knee. I underwent the same process with the other knee with the same surgeon. Both knees were eventually replaced.
What did I learn from the process? Although the docs were rather crappy, despite being very renowned, the physiotherapists I had were great. They were the folks that helped me recover my knee function and get back into everything I wanted to do even after both had been replaced.
Ironically this is the most I have been able to use a keyboard in a couple of weeks because of a bicep tendon injury that wreaked havoc on my entire arm because a nerve has impinged.
Good luck going forward, and get to know your physios because they are the ones who will get you back on track.

I feel for you, @entropy. My first knee injury was a torn meniscus, and my Doc, the doctor of the Maple Leafs, wanted to use conservative physio methods for a six-week stint. During this period, I had to learn to walk again and had an excellent physiotherapist who said on day one that the knee needed surgery. It took, give or take, three months to get a referral with a surgeon who was also with the Leafs. He took one look at my knee and said he had to go in. Two weeks later, I was under the knife, and the prognosis was not good. I was told I would not be able to do anything with the knee: no squats, leg extensions and absolutely no kicks. I didn't listen to him and slowly returned to training, albeit with a somewhat arthritic knee. I underwent the same process with the other knee with the same surgeon. Both knees were eventually replaced.
What did I learn from the process? Although the docs were rather crappy, despite being very renowned, the physiotherapists I had were great. They were the folks that helped me recover my knee function and get back into everything I wanted to do even after both had been replaced.
Ironically this is the most I have been able to use a keyboard in a couple of weeks because of a bicep tendon injury that wreaked havoc on my entire arm because a nerve has impinged.
Good luck going forward, and get to know your physios because they are the ones who will get you back on track.
Your body has been through many battles and I’m glad you were able to get back to everything. You have taught me the importance of excellent physiotherapists. I’ve had many shitty ones in the past and thought I could look up exercises I can do myself at the gym or at home. I’m hoping the surgeon I’m referred to will refer me to a hood clinic for physiotherapy.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Where else in the world could we find people that share wisdom like you guys? Not in a bar, not on campus, and definitely not on social media which I refrain from anyway. I truly appreciate you taking the time to type this and for giving me a heads up.