SIVB collaspe

Rocky

Trusted Member
Anyone following this? (The Silicon Valley Bank), I first caught wind of the news on Thursday, but didn't realize how big it would be until Friday when FIDC stepped in and closed the bank.

As a person who wasn't too old during the 2008 financial crisis, I have no experience with one.

Curious how people think this will play out, I know there's a lot of older members here with wisdom to share.

From what I understand, the increase in deposits caused SIVB (Silicon Valley Bank) to invest more money into hold to maturity securities at low interest rates (compared to now, as the federal reserve kept increasing interest rates, their bonds dropped in value). The unrealized losses ended up increasing to where they were unable to cover deposits. They sold off some of their bonds for a huge loss, and ended up causing a scare/bank run which led to the FIDC shutting down the bank.

I know its in the US so maybe it isn't going to affect Canada as much, but I would assume banks in Canada may be in the same situation as they may have invested in bonds when interest rates were low with leverage due to fractional reserve banking.

Is anyone moving their money around to keep under the 250K limit for insured deposits at banks? If this ends up causing contagion, what typically ends up happening? Does the federal reserve have to bail out the banks, housing market, stock market, collapse?

The ceo sold 3.5 million in shares earlier this week. I thought the insured limit was 100k? Or maybe thats just weathsimple

I believe each account is up to 100k, possibly 250k
RRSP & GIC are supposed to be separate and unlimited I believe.

Keep in mind we live under the rule of a communist dictator so who fucking knows. I try to keep money spread all over the place between crypto, metals, different trading accounts and different banks. Also I have money and investments in another country. I don't trust Canada at all....so I spread it around.

We're always effected to some extent by the US and this situation is no different. IMO Canada is going to have a serious mortgage housing issue in the no too distant future.

I will say I'm neither bullish or bearish as I like making money and don't care if it's on the way up or down but I do feel some big things are going to go down that will dwarf 2008.

I will say yet again that I don't know shit about fuck but I found this amusing even if slightly disingenuous or tongue in cheek

I read the new book how to invest. It interviewed pretty much every big time hedge fund manager. They are almost all doing that esg investing. They are even buying large shares of the top companies and forcing them to do esg shit, even if they don’t want to through shareholder votes.

The ceo sold 3.5 million in shares earlier this week. I thought the insured limit was 100k? Or maybe thats just weathsimple
You’re right Canada only insures 100k, I have to check whether I have USA insurance or Canadian insurance, I have my money in US banks but am Canadian

We're always effected to some extent by the US and this situation is no different. IMO Canada is going to have a serious mortgage housing issue in the no too distant future.

I will say I'm neither bullish or bearish as I like making money and don't care if it's on the way up or down but I do feel some big things are going to go down that will dwarf 2008.
I agree with you. All of this manipulation behind the scenes….bad things will happen beyond what 2008 ‘s crash was….