Simple question for any plumbers/handymen out there

Taureau

Administrator
So friend has a bath tub and loves to have baths several times a day. when sitting idle there is no sign of any leaks. No sound of any running water. When the tub is filling up on the side of the tub there is a place where the grout has come out and out of there water leaks out into the bath tub.

My guess is that when the water is turned on there is some sort of leak at the taps behind the wall. And that causes a leak of water that runs along the edge of the bath tub until it finds that section with no grout and then the water leaks into the bath.

Does that make sense? Where could that leak be? Am I right or could it be something else causing the problem??

Must be a leak somewhere on the spout to the taps like you say. Cause if it was on a waterline anywhere else it would leak all the time and it would cause some major damage. Does it also have a shower spout? Sometimes that pipe can leak behind the wall.

Must be a leak somewhere on the spout to the taps like you say. Cause if it was on a waterline anywhere else it would leak all the time and it would cause some major damage. Does it also have a shower spout? Sometimes that pipe can leak behind the wall.

yes there is a shower spout

to fix it would that section of the wall need to be removed?

yes there is a shower spout

to fix it would that section of the wall need to be removed?
Yes, most likely, unless there is access from the other side of the wall. If you take all the cover plates off around the taps you might be able to spot the leak.

I’m a journeyman plumber but after university it’s no longer my career. Cheapshots advise is spot on. The only other suggestion I would make is the shower cartridge may need to be replaced. The seals tend to go on them over time.

I’m a journeyman plumber but after university it’s no longer my career. Cheapshots advise is spot on. The only other suggestion I would make is the shower cartridge may need to be replaced. The seals tend to go on them over time.
I have had this happen to me and ruined a ceiling on the main floor. Thank god it was only a 4x6 section

So friend has a bath tub and loves to have baths several times a day. when sitting idle there is no sign of any leaks. No sound of any running water. When the tub is filling up on the side of the tub there is a place where the grout has come out and out of there water leaks out into the bath tub.

My guess is that when the water is turned on there is some sort of leak at the taps behind the wall. And that causes a leak of water that runs along the edge of the bath tub until it finds that section with no grout and then the water leaks into the bath.

Does that make sense? Where could that leak be? Am I right or could it be something else causing the problem??

sounds similar to what i just dealt with in my shower. Was leaking inside the wall and into my basement. Cut a hole in the wall on opposite side for inspection and found it was just the tap cartridge seals worn. Simple inexpensive fix.
hope yours is also simple.

sounds similar to what i just dealt with in my shower. Was leaking inside the wall and into my basement. Cut a hole in the wall on opposite side for inspection and found it was just the tap cartridge seals worn. Simple inexpensive fix.
hope yours is also simple.

Honestly if it was my house I would just go buy a replacement cartridge or even new seals before cutting a hole. If it still leaks after the replacement just take it back and then cut a hole haha

Honestly if it was my house I would just go buy a replacement cartridge or even new seals before cutting a hole. If it still leaks after the replacement just take it back and then cut a hole haha
Home Depot has always given me replacements for free a lot of the better taps have a life time warranty, or used to... has been a bit since I’ve had this issue

Home Depot has always given me replacements for free a lot of the better taps have a life time warranty, or used to... has been a bit since I’ve had this issue
Yes. Moen and delta cartridges should be free if they have them on the shelf

Needed a hole on that side for future renovations anyway. Lol.