Nursing school

PJ23

Trusted Member
Hey,

Do any of you guys or gals know anyone that's been through nursing school and gotten their LPN? How much did it cost them in student debt and how long until they actually became a nurse? It's something I've been contemplating for a couple months.

Yes ex gf was a nurse. I believe in Ontario it’s about two years of school.

Go and get a trade. No student debt, and there is pretty much always work if you’ll work hard. Plus no midnight shifts wiping bums.

RPN/LPN is two years of college. If you don't have good grades in chemistry and biology from high school, expect to have to do them over. RN is four. If you have college credits in psych or humanities, you may be able to shave a bit off, but not often. The colleges want your money. It's a pretty competitive course, so be prepared for a workload.
I have a friend working on her Masters in Nursing to back up her Masters in Social Work. She couldn't transfer a single credit. My ex-wife is an RPN with many specialties from continuing education. Expect to do that as well if you want to stay competitive. Learn as much as you can about geriatrics because our population is getting older.
I can find out the exact details if you give me some time and remind me frequently.

My daughters a nurse, couldn't pay me enough to do the job. Paramedic on the other hand would be a job worth considering. my 2 cents

My daughters a nurse, couldn't pay me enough to do the job. Paramedic on the other hand would be a job worth considering. my 2 cents

i believe paramedics make very little money in comparison to RN's. I know a few paramedics and most don't last more then 5 years I'm told. Lots of PTSD as well. I'm told lots of paramedics quite and go back and become a nurse.

After I was several years into my career, nursing is something that I think would have better suited me. I also believe if your a big guy your in high demand as a nurse.

You make a good point A .I. I do see a lot of older nurses out there but don't see any older paramedics

I deal with them extensively through my work and I agree their responsibilities do not equal their pay . I think location is the key for that job , up here in n ont the job would be far less demanding then lets say the gta

I am a first responder at a retirement facility at the moment. Not quite as intense as a paramedic but it has its moments. The nurse here is probably 25-30, smoking hot, (another reason I want to do it) and she brings in like 40+$ an hour. Plus, there are beautiful women working, all the time. Its hard to hold back considering we are at work. Night staff seems to have it pretty damn easy over here TBH. I'm just looking for something that won't get in the way of powerlifting, I've done a a bit of plumbing and siding apprenticeship for around a year each but they were too much on my body trying to peak. I have a lot of respect for trades but they aren't my scene. I know what I need to do, and if anything I would go automotive because it is the most interested to me. I remember trying to squat 500lbs after putting up scaffolding and installing glass doors all day, I was permaf*cked for a while, especially mentally. I've always done sales but it's never consistent and there is no job security when you go corporate for a place like Telus or Bell.

RPN/LPN is two years of college. If you don't have good grades in chemistry and biology from high school, expect to have to do them over. RN is four. If you have college credits in psych or humanities, you may be able to shave a bit off, but not often. The colleges want your money. It's a pretty competitive course, so be prepared for a workload.
I have a friend working on her Masters in Nursing to back up her Masters in Social Work. She couldn't transfer a single credit. My ex-wife is an RPN with many specialties from continuing education. Expect to do that as well if you want to stay competitive. Learn as much as you can about geriatrics because our population is getting older.
I can find out the exact details if you give me some time and remind me frequently.
Thank you

so be prepared for a workload.

That!!

Our daughter inlaw is just at the tail end of her practicum, had 4 weeks left but was cancelled last night. The workload is crazy, I couldn't believe it. It turns out she's really smart, was on the dean's list every year and got a lot of scholarships and she still ended up with about a 60K student loan. An RN can write her own ticket, she just signed a contract in Nova Scotia with a 25K signing bonus plus 5K moving expense. Her next goal is nurse practitioner.

That!!

Our daughter inlaw is just at the tail end of her practicum, had 4 weeks left but was cancelled last night. The workload is crazy, I couldn't believe it. It turns out she's really smart, was on the dean's list every year and got a lot of scholarships and she still ended up with about a 60K student loan. An RN can write her own ticket, she just signed a contract in Nova Scotia with a 25K signing bonus plus 5K moving expense. Her next goal is nurse practitioner.

Have her go for it. NPs are going to be in huge demand in the near future. All the nurses I know never stop learning and right now my wifey/ex wifey is getting more and more work in the community. Her specialty is geriatrics and spinal cord injuries. A couple of courses a year.

That!!

I'm not too concerned about the workload. I've seen and know what they go through as I work hand in hand with them/ do what I can to help them. It can certainly be hectic and being patient is a big virtue for them. At my current workplace, an old folks home with multiple units and few nurses, they get harassed quite often. My question was more or less salary expectations, schooling expenses, total time spent in schooling. Does your daughter find it enjoyable regardless of how much work she is doing? I would prefer a job with critical thinking over physical labor, I am a competitive (and elite) powerlifter, the physical aspect is never an issue in trades, but it becomes one when it directly affects what I love to do. I'm not living to work that's for sure. You seem to have answered a couple of my questions with what you've said. Thanks again.

Get into the trades FOR SURE!

Welders, electricians, pipe fitters, HVAC, heavy equipment mechanic, millwrights all get payed well and WAY more if you're really good and hard working. I worked with a couple HVAC guys a few years back and they were making around $40/hour only a few years into the job.

@PJ23 I was referring to the education workload, not the load in the field. You need to be very good at your study time. The course is one of those courses that try to weed people out.

Construction, you will make more money than you ever will as a lpn/rpn. Doctor and surgeon is qualification where they make more money.

Siding, roofing, insulation, drywall - boarders or taper, flooring, finish carpenter, concrete work/ finisher, foundations.

These are all trades that you do not need any type of apprenticeship or courses to become a contractor.
I know lots of guys who have laboured for a few months and went and bought equipment.
I trained a sider in Regina 4 years ago and he just got a 2020 3500HD Denali.
Those are all trades you can invest less than 10k into and will return a profitable income 100k + year.

The mass of new construction homes are made up of sub contractors.

Concrete finisher if you are able to obtain a credit line through a supplier and rent equipment your biggest start up is labourers. A basic pad starts at 12-15k

I know insulators that have $200 in tools and they pull 6 figures a year 👍