Life Changing!

SonOfOdin

Patience, Determination, Success
Trusted Member
If your like me and love sour cream well sir I’ve got you covered. We just made a nacho dip with protein up carb down pitas baked with sea salt and pepper, a creamy havarti shredded cheese fresh jalapeños and the magic. Who the fuck would’ve thought protein yogurt would be better at being sour cream then sour cream.... thank me later !

Attachments

• CF44FC8A-2F42-4F00-8019-155651699B15.jpeg
    CF44FC8A-2F42-4F00-8019-155651699B15.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 12
You can also make liters of sour cream, or creme fresh with a very basic set of ingredients and a clean kitchen.
Or, leave that yogurt out at room temperature for 12 hours before re-chilling it (use an ice water bath in the fridge to speed chilling) to really sour it up, if it's not tangy enough.

We use plain goat yogurt because the wife digests goat milk better than cows milk. A local makes goat sour cream, but Weber gotten used to the yogurt so we generally don’t use it. The 5% is nicer than the 3% though. 3% is too thin.

A couple of liter/750ml mason jars, an equal quantity of fresh goat milk (along with a big enough pot to pasteurize it all) and a single serving of "probiotic" greek yogurt makes for an awesome homemade goat sour cream as well ;).

Heat your goat's milk up to a very low simmer, pour it in your clean jars, and lid loosely. Wash your pot, throw a dishtowel in the bottom, put the jars back in, fill 3/4 of the way up the jars with water. Bring that water to a simmer, and heat for 20m. No bubbles, just a simmer. Remove from heat, cover, and cool overnight. The next morning, add a teaspoon of off the shelf yogurt, and culture for 16, 24, 36 hours for Yogurt, Creme Fraiche or Sour cream.

You can make a nice fresh goats cheese (similar to ricotta) by adding 40ml fresh lemon juice per liter of milk, when hot, stirring for 10m, and straining through cheesecloth as well. Chill asap. Ran that on a menu for almost a year, just stir in salt to taste.

UHT isn't an issue with local goatsmilk obviously, but it's imperative for cowsmilk culturing. 5% is great for either. And yes, you can drink the whey under the curd, but it's awful.