'Hack your Health - the secrets of your Gut' on Netflix

Goldenrod

Staff member
Interesting show and all I can say is I was not getting enough fibre. Since changing around my diet and making sure I get enough fibre but not really increasing calories or changing macros, I have gained size/weight.
It wasn't the plan, I just wanted to see the impact of more fibre from avocados, beans, lentils, more variety in vegetables and fruits. Not your typical BB diet but I still get my protein / healthy fats / carbs. If you look at the your diet and add up your fibre intake, and be real about it - compare to what a typical man should have and considering most guys here are probably over 200 lbs, they may need more. It may be worth trying.

It is worth watching albeit there are things they do, I would never consider like eating shit in capsules. I know about fecal transplants to save lives and health and see the logic in it, but as far as people in an non sterile environment putting feces in caps and taking them daily - not for this guy. Some of the results were interesting all the same.

Don't go out and buy a sugar filled bottle of fibre - consider the variety and amount required.
Not advice - just a suggestion to watch the video.

GR

I've never checked my intake as I eat a mostly plant-based / Mediterranean-style diet. I should still look into it even though I feel I get enough fibre already. As you know I'm big into body hacking but I too would draw that line at eating shit.. lol. I'll still watch tho, appreciate the suggestion.

I'm 1 episode into You Are What You Eat - a Twin Experiment, on Netflix. Looks interesting so far although maybe not for Brauners as it has a feel of promoting plant-based diets. Again, I'm 1 episode in so we will see.

Last edited:
Those type shows on Netflix usually suck hard but I'll give it a shot cause I respect the source of this suggestion very much
Yea I agree, I find they're usually politically charged to one specific side. I'll give it a shot though since it's getting some good reviews here.

Those type shows on Netflix usually suck hard but I'll give it a shot cause I respect the source of this suggestion very much
Yes, most are a little boring and annoying. This has it's moments but a person I respect asked me to watch it and give an opinion. I watched it and was amazed to find out, if it is accurate, how important a lot of different fibre is.
For example:
Diet can affect the gut's protective lining. The researchers discovered that if you deprive your gut microbes of dietary fibre, it can have drastic effects on your mucus layer. The mice that were fed the fibre-free diet ended up with an abundance of “mucus eating” microbes.

So what does this mucus layer do and is it important - according to our buddy the internet and studies:
Your gut mucus is your body's first line of defence. It creates a barrier between the inside of your gut and the rest of your body. This barrier makes it hard for bacteria, viruses, and parasites that you ingest to travel out of your gut and infect the rest of your body.

As I mentioned, some people need fecal implants to save their life and I get that, but the people at home shitting in a pan and then putting it in capsules and eating them? This info is interesting but these folks were doing it in a kitchen if I recall correct and I don't care how careful you are, I find it hard to fathom it is completely sterile. Each to their own but I will stick with the slow system of adding in more types of fibre. Luckily, many of the sources of fibre are not only healthy for your organs but also good for a lifting diet.

I added up my fibre intake and I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit - I'm not a bodybuilder who just eats rice/beef, rice/chicken and rarely has a veg/fruit but I still wasn't getting the recommended amount of fibre. If you research the amount of fibre - look at your daily diet and try to get it from food and not psyllium husk (better than sugary mixes of fibre as of today's date but I read something the other day, can't remember lol about the negatives of psyllium husk). It is amazing how much fibre you can add if you eat a varied diet with nuts, beans, avocados, etc.

Is everything they claim accurate - I am not sure but what they claimed were backed up by what I read.

I did a lot of reading on fibre myself it most definitely has some important benefits but I find it hard to get inuff in, but when I do get the proper amount I see the benefits it’s just hard to keep it consistent a guy can only eat so much in the run of a day.

Interesting show and all I can say is I was not getting enough fibre. Since changing around my diet and making sure I get enough fibre but not really increasing calories or changing macros, I have gained size/weight.
It wasn't the plan, I just wanted to see the impact of more fibre from avocados, beans, lentils, more variety in vegetables and fruits. Not your typical BB diet but I still get my protein / healthy fats / carbs. If you look at the your diet and add up your fibre intake, and be real about it - compare to what a typical man should have and considering most guys here are probably over 200 lbs, they may need more. It may be worth trying.

It is worth watching albeit there are things they do, I would never consider like eating shit in capsules. I know about fecal transplants to save lives and health and see the logic in it, but as far as people in an non sterile environment putting feces in caps and taking them daily - not for this guy. Some of the results were interesting all the same.

Don't go out and buy a sugar filled bottle of fibre - consider the variety and amount required.
Not advice - just a suggestion to watch the video.

GR
Did they cover BHB, propionate and acetate fatty acid ratios in the documentary? If so I'll give it a watch.
Propionate production from a high fiber diet is a subject that appears to often be avoided.

I use metamucil as an add on to stop constipation issues. There is sugar free metamucil and that's the one I use.

I also don't overdo the fibre, I have realized that too much doesn't always make things better, but just makes you poop more. I have my dose at 1 teaspoon before I go to bed and find that perfect.

I do also get fibre thru other methods as well.

Fibre is great, gives the bacteria in your gut some place to live, lol.

Did they cover BHB, propionate and acetate fatty acid ratios in the documentary? If so I'll give it a watch.
Propionate production from a high fiber diet is a subject that appears to often be avoided.
No, unless I fell asleep which I did towards the end. It was more about how the gut is like a second brain and the microbes and the importance of fibre so the microbes don't eat your guy lining and cause issues. If what it they claim is true, it makes sense to increase fibre. How your guy health impacts so many diseases and how it impacts how you feel including mental health. I don't recall the words you list being covered but I was talking to people when it was on but found some of it interesting. Think it is just over an hour.