Guys who do intermittent fasting ……

ajfromab

ISYMFS
Trusted Member
Guys who do intermittent fasten, how’s your overall health and how do you feel ? Are you able to still lift really heavy, get good workouts ? Pros and cons you have noticed?
Thinking possibly trying it out for a while as I lean down. Trying to get away from constantly eating 6,7,8 meals a day and try something new .

Guys who do intermittent fasten, how’s your overall health and how do you feel ? Are you able to still lift really heavy, get good workouts ? Pros and cons you have noticed?
Thinking possibly trying it out for a while as I lean down. Trying to get away from constantly eating 6,7,8 meals a day and try something new .
Following

Not sure if this qualifys, but I only eat 2 meals a day now and feel great. Never bloated. When its time to eat Im actually hungry. I eat at 11am and 5pm.
Its very easy to stay lean but probably not the best if you are trying to gain size.
Tried the 1 meal a day thing and it was not enough

I do. Honestly I feel great, I think this keeps my insulin sensitivity optimal.

I think it makes much more easier to have visible abs.

Performance? I don’t know, could you be more specific about how long you plan to fast?

My workouts are very different when I am glycogen full, I can’t deny it. Probably 12 hours fast and going for a leg day definitely sucks.

I do. Honestly I feel great, I think this keeps my insulin sensitivity optimal.

I think it makes much more easier to have visible abs.

Performance? I don’t know, could you be more specific about how long you plan to fast?

My workouts are very different when I am glycogen full, I can’t deny it. Probably 12 hours fast and going for a leg day definitely sucks.
I suppose if I was going to do it I would get all my food in a 4 hour window so that my body is burning for four hours after which is 8 hours and than a 16 hour fast, however that is not set in stone . If a 12 hour fast is better than that. I honestly don’t know that’s why I bring up the topic , I am a beginner on this topic .

Not sure if this qualifys, but I only eat 2 meals a day now and feel great. Never bloated. When its time to eat Im actually hungry. I eat at 11am and 5pm.
Its very easy to stay lean but probably not the best if you are trying to gain size.
Tried the 1 meal a day thing and it was not enough
11 and 5 and you get al your macros in , like a maintenance or slightly higher or what exactly do you do ? Does your weight stay the same are you going up or down or what?

I do 12 hour feeding cycle, wake up at 7 and eat at 10:30 4 meals a a day and my last meal is usually 10:30pm. If I eat earlier I'm constantly hungry and I overfeed. I train after work so I'm well fed for my workout.

11 and 5 and you get al your macros in , like a maintenance or slightly higher or what exactly do you do ? Does your weight stay the same are you going up or down or what?
My weight stays the same, but Im honestly barely training and currently only running 75mg test a week...lol
Its no problem to get marcos in because Im actually hungry when I eat. I can eat huge meals now. Sleep has improved the most.

Its the only way I'm going to diet again

Doing 15 - 9

The standard 6 small meals a day I was always hungry and food motivated and I had to fight the desire for food. I'd eat some things but want other things. I'm sure its a great method, but I'm not a competitor and it just didn't fit my life great.

If I wait to eat, my appetite is less throughout the day. I can have bigger meals that make me feel more satiated and I lose the constant food motivation.

I eat 3 meals
Noon
430pm
9pm

First meal is 569 calories
Second meal is 690 calories
Third meal is 720 calories

Puts me at 1,949 calories in a day.. And I actually feel comfortably satiated after I eat, not looking for more and picking every grain of rice out of my Tupperware.

I was doing it in 2 meals, but its really hard to hit protein goals split between 2 meals, so I changed it to 3 and so far its been much more easily adherable and the diet is higher protein with 3 meals as compared to 2.

The key is staying busy. In a busy day, time will fly by and I'll forget I'm even hungry and won't notice its time to eat until I look at a clock and realize its time to eat. If I'm busy, I could legit skip that meal and not even realize it. I've done it a few times, but I definitely try not too.

It's definitely for sure much more suitable to my lifestyle, and therefore WAY more adherable.

I don't notice that strength is effected any more than it would be by your standard 6 small meal throughout the day diet. If anything I feel better training because I train in the late afternoon and I have more of my meals structured around that time.

I started OMAD, then moved to two on, one off, two on, two off, now I've just started four days fasting, three days eating. The transition was slow, over a period of years, with occasional relapses into binge eating. I am a food addict after all.

I am in a calorie deficit and I eat very low carb high fat, when I do eat, so your mileage may vary.

I feel physically a fair bit weaker, but only when I exercise, and mentally much stronger. I feel energetic and focused and balanced and very calm, collected and... just... saner.

I don't lift heavy weights or do athletics for a living but I do have to live in my mind.

It got my diabetes completely under control, and my weight down (which was the original purpose of the diet), and most of my other health complaints resolved themselves, including skin issues. I used to get cysts and pimples here and there, and although it was a minor problem it was irritating, but just life right?, but my skin does get bad again when I eat a bunch of carbs around the holidays. Also, when I eat carbs I feel much hungrier the next day, when I stay in ketosis I stay pretty satisfied.

When I was trying to eat six tiny meals a day, I was food obsessed and felt starving all the time. When I fast now, even for multiple days, I am OK. I "could eat" if it was in front of me, and I wasn't committed to my fast. Occasionally I do feel a little hungry for five or ten minutes but it's not the ravenous, crazy, overwhelming hangry like I felt when I was trying to eat itty-bitty meals all day. This diet is so much easier than any other one I've tried, and I tried dozens, including plant based. I just had to ease into fasting. My first few full day fasts were kind of tough, but now I guess I'm acclimated.

So overall it's a worthwhile trade-off for me, and the biggest pluses I never expected are the mental clarity and emotional stability.

Last edited:
Yes, I have fasted for up to 6 days straight. Water only - no food. The 6 days was a fast was due to extreme stomach pain and I couldn't eat so it wasn't done on purpose. I was starving for the first couple days but after a few days, hunger pains went away.

A few times a year I will fast for 3-4 days and the first day you are hungry, the second your still thinking about food, but on a 3-7 day fast, which I don't know if it is healthy for training. I don't train during this time. This is a deload and 'detox' time. It gives your organs a break and your body's energy is not on processing food, it is used on healing any issues you have. That is the logic behind it. Point behind this is you stop getting hungry after a few days and the hunger pains go away. Most doctors who aren't hypnotized by the Canadian food recommendations, will admit it is good for the body. I admit I don't give up coffee and a tiny bit it cream in it for flavour/colour.

I wouldn't recommend training heavy or long light sessions if you aren't filling up your glycogen stores. Short term fasting doesn't impact your glycogen stores in your muscles apparently but, if you ever went carb free or low carb for 5 days, you probably noticed you looked more flat. Then add in carbs for the weekend and lots and you fill up your glycogen stores and get bigger.
My mother fasted for two weeks and she told me she never felt better but towards the end of it, had less energy as she had a mini farm and was active (yoga/looking after animals) - not lifting weights. She drank water and herbal teas.
Yes @Bagua - she was a hippie too when she was with us.

I fast but don’t do anything strict, just has been a lifestyle change of not eating in the mornings, or eating less, maybe an apple or some glucose from other sources of a few hundred calories,

Every 3-4 days I’ll eat a bunch of carbs and skip fasting, typically weekends when I don’t have to go to school,

I don’t workout anymore and stay quite lean, abs, obliques are visible

Health has improved in all markers (liver, kidney, blood pressure, cholesterol, my blood sugars have always been super low and so has my hemoglobin A1C so I can’t say those improved, they’re all hitting the bottom range already, I don’t think it’ll go lower or it’ll be below normal)

But I have to admit there’s no way this is optimal for an athlete or physical performance

If I was still working out I’d be lifting less reps without a doubt and I’d probably have days where I’d just be a lot weaker and have bad gym days

Last edited:
I tried this fasting thing for a few months, i learned some good food tricks in the process.
I would eat over an 8 hour period. I found it difficult to get all my calories in all the time and I sometimes struggled to sleep because I was hungry, even though I ate on a surplus
I found I wouldn't be hungry at all in the mornings (once I started eating more spread out and stopped fasting I sometimes went to bed with food in my stomach I found I would be extremely hungry, which was weird because they say the food doesn't fully digest when u go to sleep with food in your stomach, so u would think u would be good to skip breakfast)... When fasting i found myself really bloated at times and not at all bloated in the morning and I didn't really do any tests to see if I put on less fat during the process but I still did gain weight...I also felt like I had to donate much more time to eating because you have a small window u have to eat it all in regardless of what ur doing that day, where as if you aren't following a small feeding window u can eat whenever u have some downtime... so I didn't like it....I only did it for like 3-4months before saying fuck it I wanna eat when I'm hungry... I'm bulking after all lol
But when I did was got pecans and walnuts and broke them up into chunks and got dehydrated berries and other fruit, then I made a yogurt parfait from it basically used the nuts in replace of the granola, I fuckin hate granola.. A small bowl full was over 700 calories and I'd devour it in like 3 minutes and then go munch on other stuff

Last edited:
I do it every day its hard to get into it . but once you in you will noticed results. drink apple cider vinegar on an empty stomach. green tea in the am and drink lemon water and ginger throughout the day helps cut weight. Cutting makes me lose strength also a 3 scoop protein shakes help and 12 pm. the most important thing with fasting you will get crazy cut look is don't eat in the middle of the night you will look outstanding in the morning all the magic happens when you are sleeping that is pretty much why you do it.

I do it every day its hard to get into it . but once you in you will noticed results. drink apple cider vinegar on an empty stomach. green tea in the am and drink lemon water and ginger throughout the day helps cut weight. Cutting makes me lose strength also a 3 scoop protein shakes help and 12 pm. the most important thing with fasting you will get crazy cut look is don't eat in the middle of the night you will look outstanding in the morning all the magic happens when you are sleeping that is pretty much why you do it.
Could you show me a typical example of what your food schedule looks like . Doesn’t have to be perfect just what times you eat and broadly what you eat .
Also what’s the point of the acv? Digestion or fat loss what

Could you show me a typical example of what your food schedule looks like . Doesn’t have to be perfect just what times you eat and broadly what you eat .
Also what’s the point of the acv? Digestion or fat loss what
Sure can I first meal 12pm would be rolled oats one cup with 2 scoops of whey isolate chocolate peanut butter make sure its not whey concentrate it will bloat you out and other other things i find anyway i don't find it very good . make sure you take apple cider vinegar, vitamins and cod liver oil in the am fasted. 2d meal 2 chicken rice and broccoli. I switch the 2d meal up so i don't get sick of the same meal. I drink lemon water with ginger throughout the day the ginger makes me not as hungry. then i hit the gym and drink a 3 scoop shake. do this for 2 to 3 weeks at a time then have your 4 to 5 meals a day. I also take 200 mg of test and 200mg of mast the mast harden me up and I don't have to worry about gyno I find its hard to lose muscle this way and keeps water weight off, because when i tried this natty i was losing a lot of weight fast but a lot of muscle was going to. but as far as apple cider vinegar goes it does so many things too much to explain the biggest thing it does it makes you feel full for a bit take it before bed to, you should wake up looking sharp . oh yeah don't eat anything after 8 I wake up at night craving food. i find the rolled oats in the am give me the most energy thats why i use them.

Sure can I first meal 12pm would be rolled oats one cup with 2 scoops of whey isolate chocolate peanut butter make sure its not whey concentrate it will bloat you out and other other things i find anyway i don't find it very good . make sure you take apple cider vinegar, vitamins and cod liver oil in the am fasted. 2d meal 2 chicken rice and broccoli. I switch the 2d meal up so i don't get sick of the same meal. I drink lemon water with ginger throughout the day the ginger makes me not as hungry. then i hit the gym and drink a 3 scoop shake. do this for 2 to 3 weeks at a time then have your 4 to 5 meals a day. I also take 200 mg of test and 200mg of mast the mast harden me up and I don't have to worry about gyno I find its hard to lose muscle this way and keeps water weight off, because when i tried this natty i was losing a lot of weight fast but a lot of muscle was going to. but as far as apple cider vinegar goes it does so many things too much to explain the biggest thing it does it makes you feel full for a bit take it before bed to, you should wake up looking sharp . oh yeah don't eat anything after 8 I wake up at night craving food. i find the rolled oats in the am give me the most energy thats why i use them.
also I found from my experience this only works for so long and it doesn't do anything after a while I am now trying to get my body back on track. now from it but I have dropped 30 lbs in the process . who knows i might try it again later

It's good for school and maybe digestion and feeling good but it's not good for gaining muscle imo