Cutting diet for pregnant female

Novitec

Trusted Member
Fellas,

Any of you guys ever build a diet for a pregnant woman who want to trim up at the same time? I've build lots of cutting diets for both male and female but never had to throw pregnancy in the mix. Is that even a safe thing to do? My usual protocol start my clients at a 10% deficit but if we have a baby in the mix could a logical solution be to add the calories the baby needs to the total TDEE and drop 10% off that number? Or is maintenance a better solution to just avoid excess weight gain?

This is a new one for me.

Not a chance in hell, hard not to go on a rant here frankly. Obviously not technically your responsibility @Novitec but hopefully someone talks to this lady and sets her straight. If she is overweight she may be thinking that the baby will basically get fed by sucking calories out of her excess fat. Now possibly that is true but what it would be missing is the essential macro nutrients it desperately needs. Fat doesn't have any, she can only get that from nutritious food and very careful supplementation.

There is a time and a place for everything, this is neither with regard to cutting.

Not a chance in hell, hard not to go on a rant here frankly. Obviously not technically your responsibility @Novitec but hopefully someone talks to this lady and sets her straight. If she is overweight she may be thinking that the baby will basically get fed by sucking calories out of her excess fat. Now possibly that is true but what it would be missing is the essential macro nutrients it desperately needs. Fat doesn't have any, she can only get that from nutritious food and very careful supplementation.

There is a time and a place for everything, this is neither with regard to cutting.
This woman needs to go see someone and talk about her problems.
I would tell her you can't help her and it isn't a good idea. I'm with @gondar1 and the guys who said no - hard nope on this. I don't think its necessary to list the reasons as they are numerous.

Thanks for the input boys. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to anything to do with pregnancy. Passed the words of wisdom along and like I assumed wasn't happy. But it is what it is. I know this girl personally. Beautiful girl and nothing wrong with her body but she'll always think there is. Go figure.

@Novitec, if this lady is a friend of yours, keep an eye on her because she may be displaying a sign of prenatal depression. The weight gain weighs heavily on some women. No pun intended.
Ya she's a long time friend. I've helped her as much as I can and she does she someone for her childhood trauma. She's actually helped me a lot over the years too so she not completely off her rocker. You know how it goes though when we're talking about self image especially with females nowadays. I know girls who want to look like her lol go figure right

Cutting while pregnant? Hmmmmm? This is a strange concept. I would want to know more about what fuels the desire to start such a venture at this point?

as bagua stated. It would or maybe could seem to be tied to some struggles with her mental health and fear of getting “fat” during pregnancy. If so, that needs to be acknowledged and addressed first and foremost.

she needs to rethink this from “cutting” to ensuring good health. So not anything aimed at weight (or fat) loss, more motivated for or by health.

so while cutting may be out. Looking at diet overall and cleaning it up if needed certainly doesn’t need to be out of the question. In fact, it could be beneficial and also could lead to long term lifestyle changes.

That is…. if there’s an actual need for such.

I would recommend light cardio and if previously trained athletic type, light weights are possible in early stages to go along with a healthy diet and try and avoid the cravings. Outside of that, i would not enter the territory as if anything did ever happen negatively with the fetus, you will be to blame in the parents mind. IMHO, exercise and healthy diet are great for a healthy female that is having a healthy pregnancy.

Mt advice to her originally was just to eat a healthy balanced diet. If she were to just do that with some light exercise that would actually get her what she wants while still remaining healthy. This girl doesn't want to get shredded or anything just to lose some belly fat but like most people she is totally clueless when it comes to how to eat properly.

Mt advice to her originally was just to eat a healthy balanced diet. If she were to just do that with some light exercise that would actually get her what she wants while still remaining healthy. This girl doesn't want to get shredded or anything just to lose some belly fat but like most people she is totally clueless when it comes to how to eat properly.
That's about all I would do as well. Pregnant ladies scare me.