Blood work results. CK Total

Grey Beard

Trusted Member
My last two blood test have included CK totals ( Creatine Kinase ) that came back high.

Reference Range: <= 190 IU/L

Oct / 2021: 578 IU/L
Feb / 2022: 744 IU/L

Have an appointment with doc on monday to discuss. I questioned the Oct result last year and he figured my creatine supplementation and exercising were why I was high. I stopped using creatine months ago and have an even higher result this time. I work out hard but nothing extreme.... I am 5ft 9in tall and weigh 170lbs, so not like I have a crazy amount of muscle.

Anyone have a similar experience? Are these acceptable results?

It depends on the cause of higher numbers.
Its good to see your doctor and get it checked out. Most likely he/she will ask you not to take any creatine and stop lifting for a specific time period and retest.

You can have higher liver enzyme results and CK blood results from intense physical training. It happened to a member here who ended in the hospital with Rhabdo after a gym session but they also have an underlying condition. Look up rhabdomyolysis and CK numbers.

Good luck on Monday. Let us know what the doc says.

Thats not high for ck. This is high.
Picsart_22-02-13_15-57-22-481.jpg

Doing blood test a day or 2 after intense workouts will always usally be higher. The more conditioned you are the lower it can be. There are cases of continuous high ck which can mean RA yours looks fine.

If you wanna look at your Creatine. Look at your cystatin c and egfr together with your Creatine levels, thats different then you creatine kinase.

Ck can also be high for other reasons, clogged liver/kidney ducts etc... from muscle tissue breakdown and so on.

Thats not high for ck. This is high.
View attachment 38983

Doing blood test a day or 2 after intense workouts will always usally be higher. The more conditioned you are the lower it can be. There are cases of continuous high ck which can mean RA yours looks fine.

If you wanna look at your Creatine. Look at your cystatin c and egfr together with your Creatine levels, thats different then you creatine kinase.

Ck can also be high for other reasons, clogged liver/kidney ducts etc... from muscle tissue breakdown and so on.
Thanks for the reply Harley. All my other results were good creatine, egfr ect. Last work out was about 36 hours prior.....

So talked to my doc today. He had no problem with my ck total, said working out can increase these numbers. I am also using a low dose statin every other day which can also influence this reading. He confirmed what Harley has posted, readings much higher are when you need to worry.