ankylosing spondylitis

Robnes

Trusted Member
Hi, I’ve had back pain here and there for some time. I injured my back and neck in the fall. I went to the doc to get treatment and get over the continual stabbing pain. Tuns out I have ankylosing spondylitis in my back and neck.

I haven’t been able to train or do much for six months. I have back pain before but it always went away. I feel like I’m loosing all the hard work I put into the gym. Needless to say I’m pretty depressed about it.

I’ve got a good chiropractor and have been getting acupuncture done. It sort of helps… I just want to be able to get back to an active lifestyle and the gym. It feels like I’m never going to get there…

Any way, does anyone out there have this auto immune disorder? If so, I’d there any advice you can give that could help me out?

Thanks.

No immune disorder but a tired old back.

Ive found the best thing for me has been the reverse hyper at extremely slow movements. Low back has gotten much stronger and much of the pain has disappeared.

Hi, I’ve had back pain here and there for some time. I injured my back and neck in the fall. I went to the doc to get treatment and get over the continual stabbing pain. Tuns out I have ankylosing spondylitis in my back and neck.

I haven’t been able to train or do much for six months. I have back pain before but it always went away. I feel like I’m loosing all the hard work I put into the gym. Needless to say I’m pretty depressed about it.

I’ve got a good chiropractor and have been getting acupuncture done. It sort of helps… I just want to be able to get back to an active lifestyle and the gym. It feels like I’m never going to get there…

Any way, does anyone out there have this auto immune disorder? If so, I’d there any advice you can give that could help me out?

Thanks.
Check out Dr. Alan Ebringer on klebsiella and the molecular mimicry theory of AS.
Might not work for everyone, but has for me.

Lots of people I know with autoimmune disease use CBD to treat the inflammation, its not the end all cure but it might help you manage your symptoms and give you better quality of life.

When surgery/medication isnt an option sometimes a lifestyle change is required too, I wish you all the best buddy.

I have had lower back pain and herniated discs in my neck for many years. Home treatments that have worked for me are ice and a Tens machine. I know it's hard living with chronic pain. Every time you make progress a flare-up will take you out.

I have chronic back pain as well . Have had 2 major back surgeries . What I recommend is ice and stretching / yoga moves . What I don’t recommend by experience is back fusion . Worst thing I’ve ever done . Unfortunately in Canada we are behind and it’s all we do still

I have chronic back pain as well . Have had 2 major back surgeries . What I recommend is ice and stretching / yoga moves . What I don’t recommend by experience is back fusion . Worst thing I’ve ever done . Unfortunately in Canada we are behind and it’s all we do still
The problem with AS is that is exactly what ones spine is slowly doing. Fusing itself.
The goal should be to reduce/prevent the inflammatory process driving the bone remodelling.
unfortunately stress loading with inflammation present accelerates this fusion.

With your issue kinda like mine when my back gets bad I can’t workout , I lose my appetite and pretty much lose all the hard work at the gym and yes it sucks but you get it back quick and you just have to learn to go with the flow . After my second serguey I was off work for almost 2 years . Dr said I’ll probabaly not be able to go back to work and be on disability. …. I work my same job full time with no modifications… dr said I wouldn’t be able to go back to the gym .. I work out 5 days a week yes I work out with a lot lighter weights but I’ve learned to adjust and still get great workouts in with steady gains . Do what you can and listen to your body. Don’t reflect on how you used to be cause it will eat you up .. small victory’s my friend
I’ve been looking into Bioflex/Photo biomodulation Laser there is a local clinic that does it near me . It’s not cheap but heard it’s effective with all sorts of back issues

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the comments, suggestions, and support. I’ve got an appointment with my rheumatologist soon. There are some treatment options that may help with my journey. Yoga has helped immensely. Still lot of pain, but an hour or two of heat and I get a bit of function

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I’m finally getting better treatment and have started to get healthy again.

My new goal is 150min of cardio a week and a push pull routine in the gym to stay functional… current weight 250lbs. I plan on dropping to 200lbs while focusing on core strength and functionality. With muscle memory being what it is, I think I can regain some of my size. 🙂