Work ethic

Plus I have so many lawyers that have been threatening me and my company of lawsuit because of their corruption, I guess I hurt their business by writing reviews 🤷‍♀️ Thank God I have not had any issues this year 🙏🙏🙏

Attachments

• 5A6DC567-DE5E-4E63-B53F-879FC5FB09C5.jpeg
    5A6DC567-DE5E-4E63-B53F-879FC5FB09C5.jpeg
    480 KB · Views: 16
  • 72666984-B1D1-4334-A23C-5AF2C796520C.jpeg
    72666984-B1D1-4334-A23C-5AF2C796520C.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 16
  • 371DF504-2E90-4EE2-9649-9E03617E1ECD.jpeg
    371DF504-2E90-4EE2-9649-9E03617E1ECD.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 16
I pulled our crew in the office this morning and straightened them out. Basically told them i dont mind doing all the work. But if they are gonna slack off and sign shit off thats not done or done properly we could lose the contract. Which means guys will be laid off, they know and I know it wont be me. I could see it in their eyes it sunk in.
Beautiful.
They will go back to shit in a couple weeks, lol. You'll need to keep on them. Worst part of supervision, its babysitting, lol

Plus I have so many lawyers that have been threatening me and my company of lawsuit because of their corruption, I guess I hurt their business by writing reviews 🤷‍♀️ Thank God I have not had any issues this year 🙏🙏🙏
Looks like this company needs a few hundred anonymous truthful reviews.

Something like

"I had a terrible experience with Flint Connolly and Walker LLP, but unfortunately I can't post about it here because they will sue anyone who leaves bad feedback. This must be how they manage to keep their service at 5 stars, because it sure isn't because of their performance. Terrible, stay away"

Looks like this company needs a few hundred anonymous truthful reviews.

Something like

"I had a terrible experience with Flint Connolly and Walker LLP, but unfortunately I can't post about it here because they will sue anyone who leaves bad feedback. This must be how they manage to keep their service at 5 stars, because it sure isn't because of their performance. Terrible, stay away"
I kept my bad review! I called Washington and reported them for consumer protection and I additionally kinda BS the law farm by telling them “it’s my one review or every individual homeowner’s review”, 😂 my review is still there and if anything I posted more bad reviews on their websites 😃😆😁 There is five laws on writing reviews about what you can do and can not do I was following all five laws!!

Last edited:
Not your first rodeo..lol
Since 1988 I have been a supervisor of some sort. I am tired, lol.
Thank god the staff I have now are pretty decent. They are messy, so I rearrange and organize them, but they really try hard.

Btw, build a culture, where they see the vision in your head of what you would like the shop to be. Explain things to them for why you do this or that, so they understand.
My wife has always been like, “Its easy they should be able to figure it out” and then would get angry when they didn’t do it.
Where all the ones I have trained are self sufficient. Because I instill me in them. Anyhow my main code is fake it till you make it. So if you don’t know, fake it the best you can thru the knowledge you already have. ANd if they fake it the best they can, but still screw up, I dont give them crap. I’ll be like, well that didn’t work,. But at least you tried your best. And then explain what I would do.

All in all though, I’m a shit manager, and a much better worker. I am faking it the best I can.

Last edited:
Babysitting is exactly right. Know your family and identify problem child #1, that's the guy that starts slacking first after a couple days of good work ethic post pep talk. Once he starts slacking again the rest of the team will soon follow his lead, so crack the whip on him to keep him in line and you'll keep your teams overall work ethic up for longer.

There may be more than one, tweedle dee and tweedle dum, I've got two of these guys that I'm close with now so I can keep them on track without being a dick about it. I'll even give them a heads up when I hear upper management beaking off about them so they can get in line before they get called in, so I have their trust. We also try to put them on alternating shifts so their energy is separated. Great guys and when they are focused their work is excellent, but take your eyes off them for a second and you just know they're up to no good, just like when your kid has been quiet in another room at home for too long...

This comments are actually very helpful to me because I feel like I’m too nice to the vendors I work with!

Does anyone have work erhic anymore, fuck irs frustrating cleaning up work for a whole other crew. Yesterday I spent the whole day redoing work that was signed off just a few days ago. Everything I pull apart lately is missing pieces or together wrong. Just useless workers and lazy as fuck. Am I the only one with this issue? It would actually be easier for me to just do all the work myself then have others fuck it up and me fix it anyways. Ive even heard the other guys say tbey cant fire you for going to slow. But they also do a shit job. Fuck its frustrating. Put them in the office if they cant handle the work on the tools...lol

I work with youth all day long. There's very little work ethic in youth anymore. Its worse than it was in the youths 10 years ago.

I attribute a lot of it to the parents being perfectly fine with it. If you don't give your kids a hard time for not meeting your expectations, than they usually don't "pick it up" and improve.

I guess saying that sentence also reminds me that a lot of the time its not thagt parent's don't give their kids shit for not meeting their expectations, its also parents not having very high expectations.

I've been told "yeah kids have always been lazy, but so were you.. and you turned out ok".

True, but my parents road my ass about being lazy.. these ones today do not.. And beyond a doubt, these kids are significantly lazier than they were even just 10 years ago...

Parents are teachign their kids they should get somethign for nothing at a very early age now and they reinforce that idea every dam day

I work with youth all day long. There's very little work ethic in youth anymore. Its worse than it was in the youths 10 years ago.

I attribute a lot of it to the parents being perfectly fine with it. If you don't give your kids a hard time for not meeting your expectations, than they usually don't "pick it up" and improve.

I guess saying that sentence also reminds me that a lot of the time its not thagt parent's don't give their kids shit for not meeting their expectations, its also parents not having very high expectations.

I've been told "yeah kids have always been lazy, but so were you.. and you turned out ok".

True, but my parents road my ass about being lazy.. these ones today do not.. And beyond a doubt, these kids are significantly lazier than they were even just 10 years ago...

Parents are teachign their kids they should get somethign for nothing at a very early age now and they reinforce that idea every dam day
Exactly. I find if I hire kids from the country or ones that parents have them do chores I do a lot better, I actually ask them if their parents make them do stuff.

I am already getting my grandson to work at the shop. So on PD days and in the summer he will come in and do 1/2 days like my wife. He's 12, and old enough, shit he's 5'9" so more than tall enough. I pay him $10 an hour and he buys his own stuff, like games and toys and such. He's been doing that since he was very little, had to budget to get toys he wanted from Christmas or birthday money.

I told him that while hes working at the shop, he has to work hard, he doesn't want anyone thinking that he works there because hes the bosses lazy loser kid. And that I don't want him to embarrass me if he whines or something, to do as he's told by whoever is teaching him. I told him it was the same talk I got from my dad, and that I busted my ass because I didn't want anyone thinking I was getting a free ride.

He did really well on his first day. Considering he just turned 12. He likes working out front prepping food items and serving customers. He told me he didn't want to work in the back. Which was fine with me, then he doesn't work with me. Same as when I worked for my dad.

But the parents are spending too much time on their phones and not enough working with their kids.

Last edited:
I have avoided this thread since i saw it...LOL, i dont want to get started. I have seen pretty much anything you can imagine. I have been a supervisor for many years, then manager and now director of big industry and trades and i work in oil and gas, mining, forestry and e commerce industries. Food and beverage as well as i made booze in Windsor for several years with CAW union. Try working with longshoremen or teamsters for a few days, let alone years.
The entitlement issues that come up in trades is unreal compared to when i got my tickets, i went through 3 apprenticeships, full on old school hazing in the 80s and early 90s. Way different than today. One day i will write out a few almost unreal experiences with the new normal folks....lol
I will park that one for a bit and add more later.

Now if one goes to almost any store or business it is very rare to find anyone with knowledge out there working. The work from contractors (not all) but many is sub par, and they show up late, do half ass work for me personally, not me at work, thats a nother ball game as well.
For my home renos i have contracted most of it out as i am swamped and dont want a long project to do, ive done too many.
So they show up late, take long breaks, always on the fukn phone anytime i walk in and do not even put it away. You would thunk when the owner comes in you would pretend to be busy.
Smiling and texting away watching tiktok.
So i go see his boss and i get a look like i am a whackjob.
Go to canadian tires or other stores and ask where is such and such. They look at you, i dont know its not my area and walk away.
I have not been in any major centres for 4 years, and just got into Edmonton and i am astounded how much it has changed since last time i was out of the mountains. I stay away for a reason, but with home ripped aprt we are livingh in the city in a furnished rental for a few months.
I am blown away how disgusting everything is germ wise again already.
It was baad, cleaned up a bit with covid and now dirty again, ie mcdonalds etc. First mcds i ate in 4 years the other day and it was gross how evrything was.

I have avoided this thread since i saw it...LOL, i dont want to get started. I have seen pretty much anything you can imagine. I have been a supervisor for many years, then manager and now director of big industry and trades and i work in oil and gas, mining, forestry and e commerce industries. Food and beverage as well as i made booze in Windsor for several years with CAW union. Try working with longshoremen or teamsters for a few days, let alone years.
The entitlement issues that come up in trades is unreal compared to when i got my tickets, i went through 3 apprenticeships, full on old school hazing in the 80s and early 90s. Way different than today. One day i will write out a few almost unreal experiences with the new normal folks....lol

Now if one goes to almost any store or business it is very rare to find anyone with knowledge out there working. The work from contractors (not all) but many is sub par, and they show up late, do half ass work for me personally, not me at work, thats a nother ball game as well.
For my home renos i have contracted most of it out as i am swamped and dont want a long project to do, ive done too many.
So they show up late, take long breaks, always on the fukn phone anytime i walk in and do not even put it away. You would thunk when the owner comes in you would pretend to be busy.
Go to canadian tires or other stores and ask where is such and such. They look at you, i dont know its not my area and walk away.
I have not been in any major centres for 4 years, and just got into Edmonton and i am astounded how much it has changed since last time i was out of the mountains. I stay away for a reason, but with home ripped aprt we are livingh in the city in a furnished rental for a few months.
It was baad, cleaned up a bit with covid and now dirty again, ie mcdonalds etc. First mcds i ate in 4 years the other day and it was gross how evrything was.
I do all my own work at home because the Guys you hire suck so bad. Except one guy I use, but Jesus you can’t get him to work more than 10 hours a week, so it takes months. Guy is good and picky though.

If i only had a 30 hour work week like you, i would as well....lol...jk,jk..
I have found a good one, old school carpenter work ethic with modern eye for what is cool and looks good., He and his crew do everything, and my project is full time for 4 guys at 8 weeks, so yeah it would be a long ass haul with me and mamma. I am a tradesman and have done way, way too many renos when i was buying older homes and redoing for investments. Now the investments are cashing in and my years of work at my career are paying off, so my off time is spent having pleasure i missed during my early years. I truly never missed any good times, i just had to dance all night and sing all day as they say...Everyday i said, i am going straight to bed after the gym tonight. By one pm, i was looking for the next fun time, right after the gym...There i was AGAIN!!!

Life is short, although i love working on my own stuff and am highly skilled at it, i enjoy bugging out on my horses or Harley or vacationing now instead.

The work these guys do is awesome, now i need to keep them.
Tough to find, but when you get a good one, respect them....

If i only had a 30 hour work week like you, i would as well....lol...jk,jk..
I have found a good one, old school carpenter work ethic with modern eye for what is cool and looks good., He and his crew do everything, and my project is full time for 4 guys at 8 weeks, so yeah it would be a long ass haul with me and mamma. I am a tradesman and have done way, way too many renos when i was buying older homes and redoing for investments. Now the investments are cashing in and my years of work at my career are paying off, so my off time is spent having pleasure i missed during my early years. I truly never missed any good times, i just had to dance all night and sing all day as they say...Everyday i said, i am going straight to bed after the gym tonight. By one pm, i was looking for the next fun time, right after the gym...There i was AGAIN!!!

Life is short, although i love working on my own stuff and am highly skilled at it, i enjoy bugging out on my horses or Harley or vacationing now instead.

The work these guys do is awesome, now i need to keep them.
Tough to find, but when you get a good one, respect them....
I am truly trying to just work 30 hour weeks now. Shit I worked way too much before.

I go in at 7:20 and all winter was leaving by noon. Now I have to stay late so 2:30-3.
Only hard time is during hunting season. Best part is I make the same money, well actually more, I just gave myself a raise, lol. Well to be fair, everyone at the shop got a cost of living raise after I raised prices to cover it. Still no more expensive than the grocery store.

But I remember when my wife would be in the pool and ask me if I'm ever going to get in it, as I'm parging the whole outside of the house. Only time I had.

I conssicourly shop at busisiness who put time and money into training staff and demand their staff carry their weight..

We have several hardeware stores in town. only one actually trains their staff in the department they are assigned too. So paint staff and actualyl trained in paint knowledge, plumbing trained in plumbing etc.. If I go to the hardware store instead of buying somethign on line, odds are I need to talk to someone to asks questions about what I need.. if I can't get that from the store staff, fuck them.. If your bitching about online shopping crushing in person retail, then provide something online stores can not--> knowledge and helpful staff.

I bumped into that hardwar stroe owner a mongth ago.. we were both waiting to gt blood work done.. had a great talk about this tread.

I conssicourly shop at busisiness who put time and money into training staff and demand their staff carry their weight..

We have several hardeware stores in town. only one actually trains their staff in the department they are assigned too. So paint staff and actualyl trained in paint knowledge, plumbing trained in plumbing etc.. If I go to the hardware store instead of buying somethign on line, odds are I need to talk to someone to asks questions about what I need.. if I can't get that from the store staff, fuck them.. If your bitching about online shopping crushing in person retail, then provide something online stores can not--> knowledge and helpful staff.

I bumped into that hardwar stroe owner a mongth ago.. we were both waiting to gt blood work done.. had a great talk about this tread.
Yes sir, not long ago that's how the good stores operated...Not enough of that anymore...

They have a heart rate monitor and if there is a small beat, then you are hired...I am thinking anyway that's how it works....

Beautiful.
They will go back to shit in a couple weeks, lol. You'll need to keep on them. Worst part of supervision, its babysitting, lol
I was given a promotion one time to team lead of a bunch of programmers and analysts. I turned it down, I hate babysitting the few that are always complaining or causing shit. As team lead you could not fire people.... you did their review and it went to your boss who made the decision. Fuck that. I stayed where I was... I liked the technical shit

I use to run 3 Tae Kwon Do school's and I had this black belt at one of my schools who use to help me teach classes now and then and it was great for a while. Then he started getting cocky, smacking the lower belts around when we sparred and it kept getting worse. One Night the guy hit a young yellow belt in the head pretty hard with a high kick and she started crying ... so I stopped the class and dealt with the girl and got all the students to sit in a circle ... almost like a ring. I got that black belt up in the center and I had him spar a few of my real good black belts, who I gave the nod too ( kick the shit out of this guy). He did not make it through the second fight, he was all beat up by that time and he caught a hard back side kick to the ribs which dropped him hard. He got up. I stopped the fight and asked the black belt to leave. I explained to the rest of the class the reason I did what I did (respect, humility). The guy never came back so I don't think he learned his lesson, That is how I fired all the bad students I had. ( the black belts I would have liked to have beat the dirt bags up myself but it was better for my higher belt students to do that)

I wish you could still fire people that way. Our culture has crumbled for a lot of the younger people growing up. The nastiness you see on comments on social media is just crazy... so I don't do facebook, twitter or any of them. There are a lot of responsible young people out their to hire these day but you have to cherry pick and set expectations right up front. If expectation are not met. A few warnings then their gone.

@Annika ... with contractors you have to watch them and inspect there work constantly until you get a reliable one that you know you can trust. Takes a lot of time to learn if a contractor is doing a good job or not and that is difficult as there is a lot to know.

I use to run 3 Tae Kwon Do school's and I had this black belt at one of my schools who use to help me teach classes now and then and it was great for a while. Then he started getting cocky, smacking the lower belts around when we sparred and it kept getting worse. One Night the guy hit a young yellow belt in the head pretty hard with a high kick and she started crying ... so I stopped the class and dealt with the girl and got all the students to sit in a circle ... almost like a ring. I got that black belt up in the center and I had him spar a few of my real good black belts, who I gave the nod too ( kick the shit out of this guy). He did not make it through the second fight, he was all beat up by that time and he caught a hard back side kick to the ribs which dropped him hard. He got up. I stopped the fight and asked the black belt to leave. I explained to the rest of the class the reason I did what I did (respect, humility). The guy never came back so I don't think he learned his lesson, That is how I fired all the bad students I had. ( the black belts I would have liked to have beat the dirt bags up myself but it was better for my higher belt students to do that)

I wish you could still fire people that way. Our culture has crumbled for a lot of the younger people growing up. The nastiness you see on comments on social media is just crazy... so I don't do facebook, twitter or any of them. There are a lot of responsible young people out their to hire these day but you have to cherry pick and set expectations right up front. If expectation are not met. A few warnings then their gone.

@Annika ... with contractors you have to watch them and inspect there work constantly until you get a reliable one that you know you can trust. Takes a lot of time to learn if a contractor is doing a good job or not and that is difficult as there is a lot to know.
Yes it is sad.
like I said in the past I would tell someone why I was firing them. I had a few come back and show me how well they were doing, that they cleaned up their act, most remained as customers for years.

Cant do that now, they complain to the labour board or god forbid the human rights tribunal (where you are guilty till proven guilty).
So everyone is laid off with termination pay, and no reason why.

Reactions: PGM
Yes it is sad.
like I said in the past I would tell someone why I was firing them. I had a few come back and show me how well they were doing, that they cleaned up their act, most remained as customers for years.

Cant do that now, they complain to the labour board or god forbid the human rights tribunal (where you are guilty till proven guilty).
So everyone is laid off with termination pay, and no reason why.
I have had that, but i never lose anymore. I lost a few in my early days, then i learned from some of the best....., I am a documentation king.
Worked in as a union guy and non union, so i know the culture deeply, as well manage in some of the most militant unions around Canada. CAW, Longshoreman, steelworkers...Etc etc..longshoremen are the craziest, make steelworkers look like kids...I was in steelworker union as an ironworker many , many moons ago...
Now, I teach my managers and supervisors how to document, how to engage, how to coach and mentor.. .Labor board has no chance, nor does a union if you do it correct, every part correct. Labor board is nothing compared to the unions in truth...
The only time one may lose , if they do it all correct and use step procedures etc. The onmly way one may lose is if the company is making a deal with the union and will let them win against x case, but the union will give up x issue...Backroom negotiating, which i am part of now, and i am not a fan of it, BUT, one has to do things for the greater good at times when in a role like mine and i wont hurt anyone in the process and i always let the managers know what happened and ask them to communicate a loss to their supervisors etc, sparing details. It sucks, but its biz...