Whose been doing heavy incline barbell ?

Iron Hos

Trusted Member
Just curious what rep and set range you may be doing for your Heavy Incline

Also are you doing it as your first main lift or after benching

Thx

Curd

When my chest was healthy, always first and 2 warm up sets, 4 working sets in the 6-10 reps range.
Unfortunately, it was this very exercise that causes a major neck issue,
thx man .. unfortunate about the neck issue ... rehab a possible solution?

curd

It’s my primary chest exercise.. flat bench irritates rotator cuff too much

I keep rep range slightly higher 8-12
I don’t go higher then 315 though , that’s a heavy 8-9 for me

It’s my main heavy chest movement. I love it. Although I’m slowly leaning towards incline dumbell easier on my shoulders.

I run 2 warm up sets then 3-4 sets heavy in the 8-10 rep range. Last set is usually a drop set

I did a lot of incline work in my days. I used barbell and dumbells, but I found I gained more developement through dumbells and I progressed faster using dumbell and most importantly--> incline dumbells caused my less injury then barbell.

If I recall correctly, incline hits 80% of your pec fibers. Flat is something like 60% and decline it like 30-40%. I could be off on those a bit..

Either way, I did incline first in my chest routines until I hit a plateu, then I switched to flat benching first for a month, then back to incline first.

I also found your chest will pop out more and appear larger when you focus on the upper pecs.

I prefer the hammer strength plate loaded machine now, I never have to worry about douing something to get hurt

Opposite for me... The problem I have with hammer strength/ smith machine stuff is that it locks me into position for the full range of motion.. If somethign doesn't feel right with dumbells, I adjust without even thinking about it in mid rep... when machines, I'm locked in for the range of motion...

Also, when I try to do the exercise on a machine or smith machine, it takes me so long to adjust stuff before if feels right... Sometimes I am unable to adjust things so it feels right and I end up not doing that exercise. One week it will feel amazing to do incline press on a smith machine, then the next week I can't adjust it to feel good so I can't really do the exercise well or it hurts..

Not a big fan either of incline BB presses because of shoulder and neck aggravation.
When I do them occasionally it’s with a low incline and shorter range of motion on the eccentric part of movement ie keep barbell at least two inches from touching upper chest

My GoodLife used to have a vertical smith machine and I loved it for inclines when training alone but they have switched to the “leaning” smith machines and I hate them.

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press is my primary chest exercise. It ironically bothers my shoulders and neck less than flat or decline.

Flat bench is my kryptonite...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i consider incline pressing and ancillary exercise for bench so i save my shoulder by doing incline bell only. i do westside type training so it can be main press exercise or after benching. 3 or 7 rep depending where i am in the training cycle

Opposite for me... The problem I have with hammer strength/ smith machine stuff is that it locks me into position for the full range of motion.. If somethign doesn't feel right with dumbells, I adjust without even thinking about it in mid rep... when machines, I'm locked in for the range of motion...

Also, when I try to do the exercise on a machine or smith machine, it takes me so long to adjust stuff before if feels right... Sometimes I am unable to adjust things so it feels right and I end up not doing that exercise. One week it will feel amazing to do incline press on a smith machine, then the next week I can't adjust it to feel good so I can't really do the exercise well or it hurts..
How is the rehab coming? How are you Feeling? Maybe best to take this to PM as I don’t want to hijack the post.

I do agree to some extent, Im fucking around with the machine on light weight for a while until it feels right.

Some machines just dont work, im not flexible enough to use half theese shoulder machines..lol

How is the rehab coming? How are you Feeling? Maybe best to take this to PM as I don’t want to hijack the post.

Got the go ahead 2 weeks ago to begin physio.. I opted not for phsio because the clinic in town sucks and I'm not driving 3 hours to another. I was well ahead of where they thought I should be when I saw them 2 weeks ago in terms of range of motion and strength.

They gave me a script for physio, but also told me I can slowly being lifting again. I Was told for ANY exerise that contracts or stretches the pec muscle, I can only use the bar or very light weight. So I'm benching a bar for about 10-15 reps and inclining 45lbs dumbells for 10-15 reps. It feels really really weird using my pec muscle. It doens't hurt, just feels freaking weird.. I can feel the balled up muscle flexing, but its not pulling another bone because its not attached to another bone, yet it will contract.

I'm free to lift heavy for exercises that do not use my pec. So I'm easing into the heavy weight already. Dead lifted 405 for 12 reps x 2 sets yesterday for example. Not truly heavy, but I'm going to work up to it.

In another month they todl me I can slowly add weight to pec exercises.. But its VERY VERY slowling add weight and add very little weight each time I feel like I should add weight.

So things will never be the same, but I feel good about the future.

Add me to the list of people who fucked up their shoulder with incline barbell presses. Only machines and Smith Machine these days.

I'm on that list too. Waiting for physio apt right now. I can do decline, any other press hurts like hell