Whos buying crypto?

Cheapshot

Trusted Member
Im kinda on the fence to buy now or let it drop more. I think this latest dip is great for crypto, might push out all the shitcoins and let Bitcoin really shine. What are you guys thinking, im kinda a newbie. If I can get 1 BTC under 15k Im gonna have a hard time not pulling the trigger.

Im kinda on the fence to buy now or let it drop more. I think this latest dip is great for crypto, might push out all the shitcoins and let Bitcoin really shine. What are you guys thinking, im kinda a newbie. If I can get 1 BTC under 15k Im gonna have a hard time not pulling the trigger.
In my opinion property and real-estate are where it's at. I'm done with crypto crap lol it may still be smart and safe if you play your cards right though

I’m thinking 1 BTC for around 5K otherwise no go for this guy lol.
Haven’t got into crypto yet, don’t like what I’m seeing where trading platforms are “having technical issues” preventing transactions.
In such a volatile market such as crypto, the fact they can decide to halt transactions when things aren’t going their way, is scary. They can claim technical issues and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Real estate could be in for a rough ride with intrest rates..lol. I wouldn't touch it for a few years now. Im still holding reits, but only because they are still paying dividends.
Yes I agree. We sold three of our properties in last several months. One on the island and one in mainland and one in Alberta. Still have one left we are staying in on the farm. And one left in the city we will keep as rental market is unreal. Due to aforementioned interest and house inventory. So we did well as all we owned for over a decade now.
No crypto for us. Partially due to me not understanding it much. And unrest.
Me thing about real estate for homes is this.
We bought no homes with line of credit from other homes. We took no lines of credit in any of our investments.
Saved and downpapayments were made at 20-25% to keep cmha out of it.
Then made extra payments when we could.
Instead of flipping them we rented and now more than ever it’s a great way to make cash and have someone else make your payment until you sell.
Lots can go wrong with bad tenants.
They need to know upfront you are serious about keeping your investment in good shape and if you know how to play the game the law will still work on your side. Also write in extra stipulation and get lawyer to review and ensure that they sign it in contract form. We also tell the people please we will meet them at their place if they are within driving distance and give them less than a day notice so you can see how they live.
Real estate is still very sound if using to rent out and will be for a very long time. It’s almost untouchable.
House prices rise, so does rent. Interest rises, so does rent as people buy instead of rent. Folks have to live somewhere and the bridges are getting full underneath.
Real estate in rental for the win. Long term awesome investment. Then when all storms blow over and house prices go through the roof like now or last two years. Sell, sell, sell and someone else paid your payments and you get initial investment and profits back and a shot load of write offs over time.
I wouldn’t change a thing.

I’m thinking 1 BTC for around 5K otherwise no go for this guy lol.
Haven’t got into crypto yet, don’t like what I’m seeing where trading platforms are “having technical issues” preventing transactions.
In such a volatile market such as crypto, the fact they can decide to halt transactions when things aren’t going their way, is scary. They can claim technical issues and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
Almost guaranteed it doesn't touch 5k.

The "technical issues" are brought on by server overloads. Just like this site, if we were to have a million users suddenly log on out of nowhere and try to post, it would crash. I guarantee the exchanges aren't trying to halt transactions on purpose. Transactions are their only source of income. Some charge fees, but the majority make their income on the spread. So when those technical errors occur, they're losing thousands of dollars per second.

There's an old saying in BTC, "anybody who has held for 4 years has never lost money". Today it touched below the peak 4yrs ago, so that saying will have to be updated to 5yrs LOL. I wish I could accurately predict the bottom, because it's times like these that will really make people wealthy.

Real estate could be in for a rough ride with intrest rates..lol. I wouldn't touch it for a few years now. Im still holding reits, but only because they are still paying dividends.
The markets are already slowing down and house values are dropping. There's lots of stories surfacing where financing is falling through last second because the house value has dropped and the bank can no longer finance it. Purchase agreement for 800k, 60 day close. On closing the assessed value is now 700k, the agreement is still for 800k, the bank will not give the money because the loan to value is off and the buyer has to come up with the additional 100k in cash to close. Real estate is going to be a real mess real quick.

I think potential cyber crimes could ruin crypto too, China Russia etc. The internet isn't a real place it has no matter and weight behind it anything could happen
Hardware wallets are your friend in the crypto space. If there's one thing the whole QuadrigaCX debacle taught us it's to NEVER keep your money on an exchange. So the only potential for China or Russia to steal your crypto on a hardware wallet is if they send somebody to knock down your door, steal the wallet out of your safe, and then torture you until you freely give them the 26 word recovery keys that you've got stored somewhere safe off-site.

The markets are already slowing down and house values are dropping. There's lots of stories surfacing where financing is falling through last second because the house value has dropped and the bank can no longer finance it. Purchase agreement for 800k, 60 day close. On closing the assessed value is now 700k, the agreement is still for 800k, the bank will not give the money because the loan to value is off and the buyer has to come up with the additional 100k in cash to close. Real estate is going to be a real mess real quick.

Unfortunately as IronRobi says there is going to be a real mess coming. Not just now but 6-7yrs from now as well. A quick search for historical Bank of Canada interest rates shows us the history, curves and trends. The rate for the last few years is not sustainable and as the market increased it's value so quickly the housing being backwards on the loan front will pose a serious issue.

Here is an example.....

A primary lender will give 4x income if you kiss their ass on a first time borrower. Say a husband and wife use all of it and get a $610k mortgage at 2.2% closed 5yrs. They are responsible for about $13,000 in interest plus minimum principal on a 25yr mortgage. Say the rate is 9% when that mortgage comes due. After 5yrs the mortgage with major overpayment is $520k. That means they are responsible for approx. $47,000 of interest plus minor principal.

A jump from March of 2022 to March 2027 from 2.2% to 9% is not unrealistic at all. Definitely possible.

A jump from March of 2022 to March 2027 from 2.2% to 9% is not unrealistic at all. Definitely possible.
I personally don't believe rates will touch 9% and certainly not maintain that level 5 years from now. I also think this is all going to come sooner than many are expecting. Many are talking 5 years from now because now is when the rates are starting to go up. I believe that right now is when the issues are going to start being seen.

5yr fixed rates in 2017 were around 3%, these people are all up for renewal now at 5%+.
The same 520k renewal as above with a 2% higher interest rate is an additional $600/month in payments. Not to mention the increase in property tax payments because housing values have shot up. That family that's renewing their mortgage this year will likely be on the hook for $800/month more in total. And these rates are going to continue to spike as the BoC continues to increase the base rate making that 2% gap even larger. Let's say rates touch 6% this year (very likely before fall), then you can add another $400/month onto that. Not too many households today have $1,200/month in disposable income, so they'll be forced to sell. The increased rates will make it harder to get approved for those amounts shrinking the buyers pool for that property, increasing time on market which will increase supply and lower demand driving housing values downwards.

I really think by the start of 2023 we'll see a big reversal in the real estate market and it'll probably last 2-3 yrs.

I'd personally dollar cost average on some alts at this point, a lot of them have been in a bear market for months. No sense trying to find/pick a bottoms. We're watching a lot of over leveraged assholes get wiped out here, so really, this is a gift. I'm not a fan of Bitcoin or ETH for that matter so I don't touch them, but all this money they're printing has to eventually go somewhere, so I'm sure they'll do just fine as usual.

I think potential cyber crimes could ruin crypto too, China Russia etc. The internet isn't a real place it has no matter and weight behind it anything could happen
On the flip side, there's the possibility (IMO a high one) that crypto will be the the saving grace as there is an on going cyber war right now. Imagine a central bank gets nuked with malware or something, current encryption methods just don't compare to cryptos.

Last edited:
I personally don't believe rates will touch 9% and certainly not maintain that level 5 years from now. I also think this is all going to come sooner than many are expecting. Many are talking 5 years from now because now is when the rates are starting to go up. I believe that right now is when the issues are going to start being seen.

5yr fixed rates in 2017 were around 3%, these people are all up for renewal now at 5%+.
The same 520k renewal as above with a 2% higher interest rate is an additional $600/month in payments. Not to mention the increase in property tax payments because housing values have shot up. That family that's renewing their mortgage this year will likely be on the hook for $800/month more in total. And these rates are going to continue to spike as the BoC continues to increase the base rate making that 2% gap even larger. Let's say rates touch 6% this year (very likely before fall), then you can add another $400/month onto that. Not too many households today have $1,200/month in disposable income, so they'll be forced to sell. The increased rates will make it harder to get approved for those amounts shrinking the buyers pool for that property, increasing time on market which will increase supply and lower demand driving housing values downwards.

I really think by the start of 2023 we'll see a big reversal in the real estate market and it'll probably last 2-3 yrs.
It’s not slowing down here in the west too much yet.
It is coming though.
The next 2 years will be a bit all over the place depending on locations.
IMO
None of us can predict much at all for future as there are variables we have not yet experienced in our lives.
If you do have income generating properties they will still bring in revenue as rentals are only increasing in popularity. Lots of folks entering the country and lack of homes being built and high lumber prices currently and interest rates rising and scaring folks.
One can still sell right now as prices have not declined much if any here.
If I were looking to buy, or build I would hold off for a couple years.
Lumber prices will correct as always in the near future one of the industry I am involved in at times and I get lots of inside scoops still. It’s starting to tighten up as per indicators now.
We are doing a complete Reno in our home and we are lucky all of our stuff is in stock and had to wait a few months for new appliances, but they arrived now.
It was a perfect time to sell as last one sold in April end of month.
I am about to embark on a knowledge journey for crypto to see if we are interested in it. Still probably not my thing as we are ready to pull out and liquidate tensing inventory and just live life as we want to. Finally, but doesn’t hurt to learn more.

Everything you have said so far in this thread I feel is spot on. Agree 100%

I believe you are correct. I’m up for renewal in a November and I’m prepared to pay close to 1000$ more a month for my same mortgage due to interest.
So far housing has come down 15%ish where I am. I believe another 30% is due to fall by end of 2023.

The housing market in BC is ridiculous. One of my fathers rental homes increases 49% in his market assessment this past one year. He bought this house for 110K 20 years ago and sold for 1.75 Million.
The housing market is due for a massive reset and crash or everyone will be priced out.

I believe you are correct. I’m up for renewal in a November and I’m prepared to pay close to 1000$ more a month for my same mortgage due to interest.
So far housing has come down 15%ish where I am. I believe another 30% is due to fall by end of 2023.

The housing market in BC is ridiculous. One of my fathers rental homes increases 49% in his market assessment this past one year. He bought this house for 110K 20 years ago and sold for 1.75 Million.
The housing market is due for a massive reset and crash or everyone will be priced out.
BC is crazy absolutely...We sold all our homes and farms there last few months. All sold for asking prioce and above and all sold in less than 24 hours. One sold with no real estate broker, just gave an awesome offer one evening, then gone.
BC will still hold value a bit longer than other areas imho.
we bought one for 300 g 10 years ago and sold for over 850,000. No real estate and primary household, so no capital gains. that area will not be dropping much at all over next while as it is on Vancouver island.
Again, with lots of immigration its still ok for awhile, but the interest rates will have the biggest influence and jobs and inflation, and possible wars and so much stuff occuring, no one knows...just hang on and get ready for the ride.
On my other 2 assets, i remortgaged both and had a very small penalty to pay on one home of 1800.00 to do so. Remortgaged in March and locked in for 5 years at 1.75% on both properties and both will be paid off within that time frame. That is what folks need to look at right now, or even a month or 2 ago, but look at penalty owing to change up and remortgage prior to spiking higher. Again, this may be fishing behind the net already, but something to consider. Then you have 5 yers to get prepared and get your shit together and pay off all other debt and stop increasing debts. Its a killer and i have never fallen into that. Too many do now a days...its unfortunate. but reality.

One can still sell right now as prices have not declined much if any here.
You're lucky because you're still in a good position. Markets are just starting to slow but values are still overly inflated. Just like ironwill said, values haven't declined much, but they will. Which means if you're in a spot where you HAVE to sell because you can't afford that extra $1,000/month you can and you'll come out OK. What will be scary is if/when values drop and they hit a level lower than people owe.

Take someone who has a 500k mortgage and the value of the home drops to 400k. Their current bank will service the mortgage and allow them to renew, but no other bank will touch it because of loan to value. So they can't expect to have ANY negotiating power on interest rate. If they can't afford the extra $1,000/month, they won't be able to sell either unless they have an extra 100k laying around to cover the difference between the sale price and amount owing on the loan. But if they can't afford the extra $1,000/month they certainly won't have that 100k laying around so here comes bankruptcy. Sadly I think this example will be a common occurrence in 2023 as all too many people have overextended themselves.

For those looking to get into real estate, the foreclosure sales that are coming will be the time to buy!

You're lucky because you're still in a good position. Markets are just starting to slow but values are still overly inflated. Just like ironwill said, values haven't declined much, but they will. Which means if you're in a spot where you HAVE to sell because you can't afford that extra $1,000/month you can and you'll come out OK. What will be scary is if/when values drop and they hit a level lower than people owe.

Take someone who has a 500k mortgage and the value of the home drops to 400k. Their current bank will service the mortgage and allow them to renew, but no other bank will touch it because of loan to value. So they can't expect to have ANY negotiating power on interest rate. If they can't afford the extra $1,000/month, they won't be able to sell either unless they have an extra 100k laying around to cover the difference between the sale price and amount owing on the loan. But if they can't afford the extra $1,000/month they certainly won't have that 100k laying around so here comes bankruptcy. Sadly I think this example will be a common occurrence in 2023 as all too many people have overextended themselves.

For those looking to get into real estate, the foreclosure sales that are coming will be the time to buy!
You beat me to it. I was just about to say...If i were buying more for investment sake, or a new buyer. I would chill out and wait. Lumber prices will be coming down and one will save at least 20-40% on materials as the corrections occur, and if buying a pre owned home, the foreclosures that may occur if things go as some predict will be good for the buying. I am still not 100% sold that it will be as bad as some predict, too many variables still. A correction will occur, but IMO, we wont be going back to pre pandemic pricing in a quick slide.
If i were living check to check however. I would be selling and getting into something cheaper or relocating to a more affordable locale, or just rent for a bit, but again, oftentimes rent is more than a mortgage and in Alberta for instance, the landlord can give you 2 months notice and raise the rent as much as they want with no cap on a month to month scenario. Bc you can raise a certain percentage, so one needs to know the laws of the land also as renting comes with many risks also.
Either way, batten down the hatches, remortgage soon or now if penalties are much less than the savings, and get your shit in order and paydown as much debt as you can and learn to not put yourself in a situation of huge debt and be humble and live a good life in YOUR control.

I am done investing for now in real estate as it is a lot of work upfront and a wee bit of stress.
I however am possibly building another new home on one of my pieces of vacant land i own out near a nice lake, for myself and my wife as we leave Canuckistan for around six months per year and come back for the summers. BUT i am awaiting materials price corrections on softwood and other items that are coming up soon. It will be a nice maintenance free country home we can leave during winter with some friends to peek in on now and then and live all summer without a lot of work required, then take us into our old age and enjoy.

Housing starts are slowing and the demand sector needs to drop a bit more and stockpiles will go up quick as every sawmill in the country is running off the hook right now trying to get in the profits as quick as possible. Which is shooting themselves in the foot, but that is how resource businesses work. Always has and always will.

Ahhhh crypto. Well it's been on a downtrend for about 8 months now nearly. People bought at 53. 43. 33 all thinking it was the bottom. Then some say it's dead. Our world is different now with politics war and inflation, pandemics, there's a diff vibe than ever before but crypto was dead 2012 2013 2014 every year nearly and what happened? New all time high not long after. Though as someone mentioned above now we've drooped below the 5 year mark.

So does it recover and recover hard? With the elusive 100k comin? Do these weird world times eventually make it stronger? Seems to me it's tied to the reg markets now. Whether it was ever meant to be or not. So if guess until the overall markets start recovering, until the fed stops inflationary easing with rates, until the markets and economy starts to see real light at the end of the tunnel, btc will range and or still drop. How low I have no idea. Maybe 15k maybe 10k? Maybe less.

So I dunno. Of I get some truly 'extra' savings over the coming months I may get some btc. And just hodl. Lol. I'll dollar cost average in at this point I'd say. However if it goes to say 5 k then in at 19 k is still in at a higher end but, if it ever goes back to prev ATH of 70k or higher. There's clearly money to be made.

No one seems to really be able to predict btc. But it's been around like 13 years. Is it too entrenched now to go 0? Will it never get above 25k again? Will it be 235k in 2 years? Who knows. But it is volatile as hell so be careful what you put in, how much. And how and where.

Seems to me it's tied to the reg markets now. Whether it was ever meant to be or not. So if guess until the overall markets start recovering, until the fed stops inflationary easing with rates, until the markets and economy starts to see real light at the end of the tunnel, btc will range and or still drop. How low I have no idea. Maybe 15k maybe 10k? Maybe less.
You nailed the issue at hand right now. It is indeed tied to the reg markets. Many people view it as another investment class. I'll admit, while I do truly believe BTC has the real potential to be the new "digital gold" that future currencies are built on, I also view it as an investment opportunity as well. But from the investment side, I don't think BTC will hit it's true potential until it successfully decouples from the stock markets. Until then I'll be like you and just keep making my regular buys and if it does hit 10k or less that's when I'll go all in. One thing I know, BTC is too large to die. It's not going to zero for sure.