When do you have too much muscle for Sports?

Oldguyjiujitsu

OAF
Trusted Member
At UFC last night Rodolfo Vieiro gassed and lost by submission. He is arguably one of the greatest grapplers in the last 10 years...7 world titles. He fought at 185 but according to people i know he was just under 220 fight time. He definitely takes advantage of testing policies where you are good if free test is under 1200.

Clearly to me the size game hurt him...the big muscles used way too much oxygen and he could not sustain the pace...as he owned and out classed the guy for the first 4 minutes of the fight and then faded fast. I truly believe he would have been better conditioned for this fight if he walked around at 195-200 and cut to 185. The extra 20 lbs 200 to 220 is just not necessary.

Thoughts...can you be big and have stamina? I don't know of an example where this is true from any sport. Strength is an advantage but only to a point.

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 9.28.41 AM.png

I played hockey from the age of 5 till highschool and i was pretty decent.
A couple of years ago my work got involved in a ball hockey tournament. It was hot as shit so i had no shirt on and all the other teams were looking at me in dread. Yet did they realize that i would be the most useless mother fucker in that whole tournament. I was ashamed of myself

I played hockey from the age of 5 till highschool and i was pretty decent.
A couple of years ago my work got involved in a ball hockey tournament. It was hot as shit so i had no shirt on and all the other teams were looking at me in dread. Yet did they realize that i would be the most useless mother fucker in that whole tournament. I was ashamed of myself
There definitely is a balance...at 200 plus grappling i am strong but feel slow and get tired quick....at 180ish i am quick and cardio for ever but not strong....a clean 195 is my deal...balance between cardio, quick and enough strength. Hard to achieve this balance when on the mats all the time and got a high metabolism at almost 50 = limited recoverability. I an envious of the young guns that can lift in the AM and come to grappling class in the evening.

And @Cheapshot you are right 35lbs is a retarded amount of weight to cut...especially how lean he is.

Another food for thought , im fairly lean and I have zero endurance. I do zero cardio cause It just makes me lose weight. I could probably only last 2 mins or under in a mma fight and i would have to give up. I get winded very bad even with high rep squats and my heart rates goes scary high.

I’ve fought Muay Thai at 220 ripped........a 5 round pro fight and didn’t gas it just depends on the person and also a shit ton of other factors like how horrible his weight cut was did he have a good sleep did he travel from a lower altitude etc so many variables this is an impossible question to give a yes or no answer to............how stressed u are on fight day etc etc

Another food for thought , im fairly lean and I have zero endurance. I do zero cardio cause It just makes me lose weight. I could probably only last 2 mins or under in a mma fight and i would have to give up. I get winded very bad even with high rep squats and my heart rates goes scary high.
Ya but u haven’t trained mma bro so it’s not comparable........if u got conditioned for the sport I mean by doing the sport not what happens in the weight room I’m sure ur conditioning would be good these things are absolutely not comparable how everyone is so obsessed with s and c for combat sports is a new thing back in the days no one did that so.............u wanna be conditioned for bjj roll lots Muay Thai spar lots hit pads spar clinch etc etc trust bro there not comparable whatsoever

View attachment 12925

Its making me think of this meme.. what are your guys thoughts on this??
Thoughts on what? If Ryan hall would strangle that idiot and punch his face in? LOL in a fuckin heart beat the body builder would have zero fuckin chance not just because he dosent know what to do but also he would spaz and gas that’s what all u trained ppl do this is also a very very silly question I’ve got 16 year old 160 lbs at my gym that would absolutely molest that steroid guy LOL it wouldnt even be a scrap it would be a sexual assault haha if u think I’m to sure just go to a boxing gym and ask to spar. ReLly good small guy to test uraelf LOL ull see........my first bjj class I was 250 jacked juiced to the gills new to martial arts I’m like wtf I’m gonna toss these little twerps around and boy was I ever wrong😆😆😆😆 after being choked about 20 times. And feeling totally useless I decided I better learn this these little guys are literally letting me live hahaha I used to be under this false impression cus I was huge and a beast in the weight pit I could fuck up fighters LOL believe me I was very wrong

Thoughts on what? If Ryan hall would strangle that idiot and punch his face in? LOL in a fuckin heart beat the body builder would have zero fuckin chance not just because he dosent know what to do but also he would spaz and gas that’s what all u trained ppl do this is also a very very silly question I’ve got 16 year old 160 lbs at my gym that would absolutely molest that steroid guy LOL it wouldnt even be a scrap it would be a sexual assault haha if u think I’m to sure just go to a boxing gym and ask to spar. ReLly good small guy to test uraelf LOL ull see........my first bjj class I was 250 jacked juiced to the gills new to martial arts I’m like wtf I’m gonna toss these little twerps around and boy was I ever wrong😆😆😆😆 after being choked about 20 times. And feeling totally useless I decided I better learn this these little guys are literally letting me live hahaha I used to be under this false impression cus I was huge and a beast in the weight pit I could fuck up fighters LOL believe me I was very wrong
Hes not a bodybuilder thou. Hes actually one of the strongest powerlifters today. Also 300lbs. Also one of the strongest grips in the world. Could he not just snap an arm like a twig? Lol. I agree he would probably lose a leg. But I dont think it would be as easy as most think

Hes not a bodybuilder thou. Hes actually one of the strongest powerlifters today. Also 300lbs. Also one of the strongest grips in the world. Could he not just snap an arm like a twig? Lol. I agree he would probably lose a leg. But I dont think it would be as easy as most think

Doesn’t matter if he’s power lifter or bodybuilder. There’s a saying in jujitsu that there’s no such thing as tough just trained and untrained.... until you’ve done it there’s no understanding how heavy a light guy can feel if he’s using his body weight correctly and the anxiety and panic attacks people get if they get stuck on the bottom.

I have rolled with Royler Gracie many times and he is like 165 and 50+. I’ve been doing this for 30 years and it still amazes me how ridiculously heavy he feels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t matter if he’s power lifter or bodybuilder. There’s a saying in jujitsu that there’s no such thing as tough just trained and untrained.... until you’ve done it there’s no understanding how heavy a light guy can feel if he’s using his body weight correctly and the anxiety and panic attacks people get if they get stuck on the bottom.

I have rolled with Royler Gracie many times and he is like 165 and 50+. I’ve been doing this for 30 years and it still amazes me how ridiculously heavy he feels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata
When guys aren’t educated on martial arts and what’s reality can’t blame because I would’ve thought the exact same thing before 😆😆😆 Ryan hall vs a power lifter hahahahaha he’d strangle him out so fast he wouldn’t even know wtf happened hahahahahah

Sent from my iPhone
it would be silly bro it would be like the fighter jumping into a powerlifting meet........zero chance

Also on that note sport bjj is gay af and a straight bjj practionier that’s never been wailed in the face before isn’t a guarantee either he could just panic and gas as we’ll forget his bjj