What sort of Stretching Routine Does everyone do to undo all the tightness caused form lifting

PGM

Trusted Member
I was wondering how many lifters throw stretching into their workout routines, how often, what to they focus on the most, and what type of stretches work the best for you to limber up those tight muscles?

I do the dc stretches when i on that program but other then that, its just basic stretches before a workout for that bodypart. Nothing crazy and only takes a few minutes

Reactions: PGM
Mostly hamstrings as they cause the most issues for me.

Do release type with a lacrosse ball as well.

Then finish off with a very stiff foam roller.

I do a lot of mobility and warm up prior to working out - often light weights and full body to get the blood flowing. The mobility is to ensure the body part I am working is thoroughly warmed up and read to be worked. I do 5 mobility exercises for shoulders as shoulder injuries are easy to get considering they are used in all upper body work.
When I am done working out, I do a full body stretch holding each stretch for 20 seconds and then use the foam roller on any parts I might have concern about for injuries or over doing it.

I do a lot of mobility and warm up prior to working out - often light weights and full body to get the blood flowing. The mobility is to ensure the body part I am working is thoroughly warmed up and read to be worked. I do 5 mobility exercises for shoulders as shoulder injuries are easy to get considering they are used in all upper body work.
When I am done working out, I do a full body stretch holding each stretch for 20 seconds and then use the foam roller on any parts I might have concern about for injuries or over doing it.
That is a lot of stretching... do you find you feel a lot better physically doing this?

Mostly hamstrings as they cause the most issues for me.

Do release type with a lacrosse ball as well.

Then finish off with a very stiff foam roller.
I agree with the hams ... and my thighs give me issues as well. Rollers are great ... I find the stiffer the better ... hurts like hell but once the stiffness releases it feels awesome. Have you ever used a rumble roller?

that looks kind of neet. Looks like it could get in there quite deep. Looked them up on amazon and they are not inexpensive but probably worth the price.
I got mine for $125 and it’s good and strong. Comes with 4 different heads to get in deeper or an overall larger area. I pay almost that for an hour with my massage therapist

I roll on a foam roller, lacrosse ball and "peanut" about 15 minutes per day while watching tV. Focus on the scapula, therasics and lower body...plus i always end with the "world's greatest stretch"

has helped me tremendously....i also hate doing it at the end of training...i find that its more effective to do it after i get home, shower and cool down so that everything has started to settle and i can see what might be an issue. Plus anything that feels a little tweaked i ice for 5 minutes (rather be proactive then get up in the morning an feel fucked).

That is a lot of stretching... do you find you feel a lot better physically doing this?
Not sure if I feel a lot better but I do a fair amount of Judo and kickboxing so I stretch everyday even on my off days. The amount of stretching I do now is nothing compared to when I was younger with 30 minute stretching sessions to enable high kicks without losing power. I don't push the stretching like I use to or I will end up being worse off, just a nice stretch and hold it. The judo has been on hold since Covid but I still practice with my friends. I'm older so flexibility is a must and with one bad knee I have a list of stretches to keep that leg working right.

Not sure if I feel a lot better but I do a fair amount of Judo and kickboxing so I stretch everyday even on my off days. The amount of stretching I do now is nothing compared to when I was younger with 30 minute stretching sessions to enable high kicks without losing power. I don't push the stretching like I use to or I will end up being worse off, just a nice stretch and hold it. The judo has been on hold since Covid but I still practice with my friends. I'm older so flexibility is a must and with one bad knee I have a list of stretches to keep that leg working right.
I am glad it is working for you. I am in the same boat as you I have tipped into the early 60's and I have to be careful in terms of How heavy I lift how hard I stretch as well. I did TaeKwonDo for a number of years when I was younger and I have done some extreme lower body stretching. I do use a stretching machine for hams and inner thigh still but I go a lot slower. Stretch the shoulders out a lot and use a rumble roller to get deep into the tissues, seems to work so I will keep on doing it.

Aside from the normal dc style weighted stretch, some foam roller stuff and lacrosse ball stuff... the stretch that has made the most difference for me is the figure 4 stretch. Great for the hips, glutes and low back.

Aside from the normal dc style weighted stretch, some foam roller stuff and lacrosse ball stuff... the stretch that has made the most difference for me is the figure 4 stretch. Great for the hips, glutes and low back.
just googled the figure 4 stretch. have never tried that. will give it a go. looks like it would hit the hips glutes and lower back. thanks for sharing.

What I have been doing for stretching is progressive stretching with a stretching machine. This gets glutes hips hams and inner legs or adductors. I also stretch out my shoulders, as they are the worst, using hangs and cross body shoulder stretch. For deep muscle release I use the rumble roller which is a stiff dimpled roller that needs a little getting use to as the amount of initial discomfort will be high when you first use it. I am going to try the figure 4 stretch and the massage gun see how they feel as well. Attached picture of rumble roller and stretching machine.

Attachments

• rumble rollers.jpg
    rumble rollers.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 8
  • face off stretching machine-smaller.jpg
    face off stretching machine-smaller.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 8
I do a basic stretching routine, but nothing releases muscles better than a sadistic massage therapist. I went at first every week, then every two weeks after that.
It’s funny we will sound stupid amounts on gh, gear and food, but cheap out when it comes to massage therapy.

I do a basic stretching routine, but nothing releases muscles better than a sadistic massage therapist. I went at first every week, then every two weeks after that.
It’s funny we will sound stupid amounts on gh, gear and food, but cheap out when it comes to massage therapy.
My wife has a plan that covers massage and normally get a deep tissue massage when ever I am super tight .. and your right if you have a good massage therapist it is well worth the money ... and luckily mine is. I haven't gone back yet cause I hadn't not found a covid mask that allows me breath well especially with summer allergies I have. Just found one of those pull up masks you can first pull down over your head and around you neck and pull the front up and it allows me to breath real well. I will be setting up an appointment early next week