What is one of your Worse Mishaps You Have Had in the Gym?

PGM

Trusted Member
Here's a story. Not proud of this one. Every one who has lifted for a while knows that when you need a spotter for a squat, and you are attempting a weight that may give you some problems, you need a good spotter. Well I had the safety pins setup in the rack and had done pretty near all my work sets but still felt real good, I was 2 weeks out from a meet so I decide to do a single. I put on 575, which was heavy for me, I am looking around for a spotter cause I don't like dumping the weight, however there was no one I really knew well. I then saw this guy who was at the gym a lot that I said hi to on passing most of the time. I ask him “Do you know how to spot a squat” he answers “Yes”. So I ask him if has a problem with the weight I was using ...”No”. I look at him and say “ I squat with a wide stance and I sit way back so make sure you do not get to close so my ass can travel back and down” … “Yep, No problem”. I also told him to give me help only if the weight slowed down and was going to stall (I hate assistance on a weight that I am able to get, so don't touch the weight until I stall) .

Getting all pumped up I was pacing back and forth to raise the adrenaline. I get under the weight, get tight, pre-squeeze, lift up and take 2 paces back and plant my feet. I take a big breath pre-tighten again and I sit back. Guess were my ass went … right into the fucking knee of the guy spotting. The guy was standing back but he had his right leg forward and his knee right under my butt. I launched forward when I hit it, I stepped forward, caught my balance and got the weight back up and racked. This is the embarrassing part. I then turned around, the weight room was crowded , and yelled “YOU FUCKING IDIOT, HAVE YOU GOT ANY BRAINS. I TOLD YOU TO STAY BACK WHEN I SQUATED … WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU. GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME … I DON'T EVER WANT TO SEE YOUR FACE AGAIN, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR ...GO”. Damn ... everything went silent, I looked up and everyone had turned and were looking at me. Buddy took off, and I walked away into the stretching area, to get a handle on my anger. I stretched for a while trying to tamp down my anger as I could have gotten seriously injured. I calmed down, I went back to the rack, pulled off all the weights and put them back. No one came up to me or said anything … they just kept there distance.

Not a proud moment, however every time I think about that instance, I don't regret what I said to the guy as he said he knew how to spot, he also said he understood what I said about sitting back, and he was also aware I was using weight that if things fucked up could hurt me.

After that, if I did not have a spotter who I knew well and trusted ...I didn't take a heavy lift or I took the risk that if I missed I would just dump the weight on the pins, this I have had to do a number of time. Well, isn't that what the pins are for?

Hey pg we all have had at least one fuckup. My single most embarrass moment? At 60 with 46 years as a gym rat? Really pick just one!!!

Yeah, I was dead lifting with some guys back in the 80's maybe 90's. We trained alot together since power lifting was more to my liking.

I stepped up got all set got my head in the right space.. Got all psyched up for the lift. One of the fellows a mouthy piece of work started screaming at me just as I picked up the bar off the floor.
It blew my concentration so bad I dropped it back to floor with a giant thud. The embarrassing part was I stepped back up shook my head and pulled with out thinking about it. I shattered a lumbar vertebrae and crumpled like a sand bag!!

Out of action for weeks!

Thats embarrassing! I should have just done what you did!!!

I had embarrassing moment! I once was on the treadmill & I went really fast & I flew off of it, I got up I was super embarrassed I looked around hoping no one saw it & then I tried to play it of like everything was normal.
that I would have like to have seen ... haha

Hey pg we all have had at least one fuckup. My single most embarrass moment? At 60 with 46 years as a gym rat? Really pick just one!!!

Yeah, I was dead lifting with some guys back in the 80's maybe 90's. We trained alot together since power lifting was more to my liking.

I stepped up got all set got my head in the right space.. Got all psyched up for the lift. One of the fellows a mouthy piece of work started screaming at me just as I picked up the bar off the floor.
It blew my concentration so bad I dropped it back to floor with a giant thud. The embarrassing part was I stepped back up shook my head and pulled with out thinking about it. I shattered a lumbar vertebrae and crumpled like a sand bag!!

Out of action for weeks!

Thats embarrassing! I should have just done what you did!!!
OUCH ... that's unfortunate. Some ppl don't respect or understand why powerlifters do what they do. I would not have been to happy with the guy screaming. But what can u do when crush a vertebrae. Damn ... does it still bother you today? Did you have to have any special treatment or operation?

And I know I have had a lot of other screw ups. There are just so many. Shit happens when your pushing yourself.

Tore my bicep a few months ago - oops! :)

OD

Really hungover at the resort in Mexico. I'm always up early so hit the gym at 6am as I had nothing better to do. Nobody there, just how I like it. Warmed up and loaded the bar for bench press and proceeded to fire out a set. Did not realize how drained and dehydrated I was and went for the last rep, couldn't get it up, missed the lower catch points and dropped it right back down on my chest, luckly not too hard and not on my neck. I slowly rolled it down until I could tip it to knock the plates off like a real goof. First and only time that's ever happened.

Nobody there to see, but there is a security camera in there so maybe one day a video pops up on a gym fails compilation.

Reactions: PGM
Years ago doing leg press i let one rip by accident. A middle aged woman was on the leg press next to me. I finished and racked the weight and looked over, she looked back and just smirked lol. That was the most embarrassing. As for worst, I tore my ankle doing calf raises years ago as well.

Last edited:
Doing dumbbell Arnold presses, seated on a bench with the back rest up. Was probably doing a little more weight than I should have been because somewhere around the 90 degree angle, the weight tilted backwards and rotated my arm back with it. POP! I subluxed my shoulder. My arm was stuck ,straight out from my body! I had to lean over to the side so my shoulder could relax and my arm popped back in. I was in a sling for a couple weeks. Did this in a crowded gym. The "pop" was loud enough to get everyone's attention.

I’ve told this one a few times over the years....

Weighted dips with I believe 3 plates hanging from the belt. Finished my set and came down from the rack onto the floor.

Went to drop the weights from the belt kinda hanging from my hips. To do this I would kind of hold the front of the belt on each side of the throat of the hook holding the chain together. When I do this I kind of buck my hips and then drop the plates to the floor in a controlled manner.

This time I missed or slipped and the hook caught my pants and tore the fuckers right off me.

So here I am now. Plates crashed to the floor and me standing completely bare assed in the gym with my pants torn in two hanging from my knees to the floor.

Good thing the AC wasn’t cranked eh?

I pulled my pants up and covered myself the best I could. The girly behind the front desk almost died. I see her still around town sometimes and she still vividly remembers this fine moment of mine.

I look back and wish I hadnt been in so much shock and panic. It would have been even better if I just threw my torn pants and underwear over my shoulder and strutted to the change rooms completely naked from the waist down whistling dixie the whole way.

I walked into the girls washroom once... No one was in there, took about 15 seconds for me to notice there were no urinals.

Everyone else's story is way cooler

Did that in a busy nightclub once . Must have been the only time there were no chicks in there for more than 30 seconds, I walked into to the empty washroom and headed straight to a stall and sat my ass down. 15 seconds later the door opens and a bunch of girls come in. At that point I'm not too surprised as often the girls will use the mens room when there is a line for the ladies room . Actually i don't know if that still happens in 2020 but it was pretty common 30 years ago. Once I figured out my mistake I waited patiently for the room to empty so I could make my escape. It never did though so after a while I just sucked it up and walked right through them and out the door. I got quite an education on how womenz really think in the 15 or so minutes I sat and listened, invaluable actually.

Reactions: PGM
Did that in a busy nightclub once . Must have been the only time there were no chicks in there for more than 30 seconds, I walked into to the empty washroom and headed straight to a stall and sat my ass down. 15 seconds later the door opens and a bunch of girls come in. At that point I'm not too surprised as often the girls will use the mens room when there is a line for the ladies room . Actually i don't know if that still happens in 2020 but it was pretty common 30 years ago. Once I figured out my mistake I waited patiently for the room to empty so I could make my escape. It never did though so after a while I just sucked it up and walked right through them and out the door. I got quite an education on how womenz really think in the 15 or so minutes I sat and listened, invaluable actually.

yup, they still use the men's.

do that all the time. wish they would standardize it like right women left men.

my kid plays hockey regularity at the MTS iceplex.. They have two floors. The main men's and woman washrooms are staked directly on top of each other on both floors (both a men's and ladies washroom on each floor, basically the same floor plan on each floor) Only, on level 1 the ladies washroom is on the left side, and level 2 the ladies is on the right. I'm sure I enter or catch my self entering the wrong one about 10 times per hockey season. Even for the plumbing, this makes no sense.

I walked into the girls washroom once... No one was in there, took about 15 seconds for me to notice there were no urinals.

Everyone else's story is way cooler

Not to derail this thread, but I did this in the airport at YVR. The washroom was empty so I went into a stall and dropped a deuce. Taking my sweet time and then I heard someone cough... it was not a manly cough. I looked down under the stalls to the left, and to the right. Those were not manly shoes :oops:

Luckily it was an early morning flight and I had time. I stayed in that stall for at least 30 min, waiting, listening, planning for my escape. Then it happened... silence... so I made my move. Head down speed walk for the exit. I passed someone on her way in but I just ran into the men's room on the other side and took a minute at the sink to recompose.

Had two - one was kinda funny and one wasn't.
1. I have big glutes and always have and back when I could do super deep squats, I squatted down and ripped the whole back out of my shorts. I was wearing stretchy comfy shorts too so I had to walk through the gym with my ass hanging out lol.
2. I changed my bench grip and stopped using thumbs around the bar. My workout partner was away and I asked a guy to watch close and keep his hands on the bar. He was talking to someone and ignoring me and 225 (lucky it wasn't too heavy) rolled off my hands and came down on my chest. No major injury but embarrassing - thank F it didn't hit my neck.