What happened to strength?

Grindtight

Trusted Member
Ok so hadn't touched a barbell in weeks so I decided to get into it again.. Started with bench worked up to 315lbs for 2 reps...later did 245lbs incline by press..followed but flies...Soooo at end of the week thought I'd try it again when worked up to 315 I couldn't even budge the bar ugggg let down. What happened to the strength I felt good that day.

Ok so hadn't touched a barbell in weeks so I decided to get into it again.. Started with bench worked up to 315lbs for 2 reps...later did 245lbs incline by press..followed but flies...Soooo at end of the week thought I'd try it again when worked up to 315 I couldn't even budge the bar ugggg let down. What happened to the strength I felt good that day.
It happens.
Could be you werent recovered from previous workouts, maybe something missing from diet the couple days before or just in your head.

While progressive overload is probably the most essential factor for growth and strength over time, we all have to accept we can't lift more each workout. Look at power lifters - they cycle their heavy lifting to get ready for competitions and then dial it down. A deloading phase - at least if you like your joints and don't want to get injured. I always strive to do more reps, more TUT, another 2.5 lbs on exercises from the workout before but it isn't possible all the time - too many factors. Add, if we could all do this forever can you imagine how strong people would be?

Too many factors to guess at with your one workout, don't give it a second thought. Just make sure your rested for your next workout and see how you feel.

You said it urself... U hadn't trained in weeks... Then went super heavy. It takes much longer to recover when it's essentially new stimulus like this. Not to mention doing a full 2 Rep max after not doing the lift for weeks is kinda idiotic.. And won't build any muscle either.
It'll come back

. Just gotta train smarter

Can I flip a little humour in here?

Not enough Wheaties skipper...

I'm just mucking about brother... indeed, after being away from the weights and then punishing yourself with a solid hardcore workout may have just been enough to prevent your system from fully recovering for an all out maximum effort.

I do not know you, nor your training regiment or your history with your training nor the nutritional background or supplements you take - so I will not endeavour to predict anything other than that.

I will openly predict this however - the time isn't far off when you'll move that stack and plenty more.

Maxmuscle66