what ever happened to gym camaraderie??

Oldguyjiujitsu

OAF
Trusted Member
When i grew up in the gyms...no one wore headphones, the gym played real music and all the regulars knew each other and would be social. You did not need a training partner as you could just give the guy next to you a nod and he would gladly give you a lift off or spot. And then catch your eye to see if you need another for the next set.

Fast forward 25 years ....My son usually trains with me but yesterday he went on his own after school. I told him to make sure he got a spot on his top sets to not risk injury. He is 17, 6'3 and 190 lb in shape hockey player so not a little snot nosed kid. he was doing incline dumbbells and asked they guy next to him for a spot. The guy takes his headphones off one ear ands says "what?" he repeats "could i please get a quick spot"....the guy looks right at him and says "fuck off"

What the hell? Is gym culture dead?

I live in a small town and most people know each other by face.. when there's a new face in the gym, everyone knows it..

That being said, you'd think my gym would be like the gym you first describe, but its not.. Almost feels like members dont even want to get to know each other on any level.

I know what you mean though.. First gym I went to I was only 16, but everyone knew each other, said hi, spotted each other, made small talk etc..

I switched from a chain gym to a smaller, locally owned powerlifting gym for that reason. Even then people that wear headphones have no problem taking them off to chat. The only downside is sometimes social time adds an hour to my workout

I switched from a chain gym to a smaller, locally owned powerlifting gym for that reason. Even then people that wear headphones have no problem taking them off to chat. The only downside is sometimes social time adds an hour to my workout
Exactly why I don't ever do more than the basic hello. Or a quick chat. I'm there to train. Not bullshit, if you want to socialize let's go smash an all you can eat buffet after lifting. Aside from that don't try to constantly chat me up..im happy to lend a spot. But I'm also trying to keep my rhythm and Intensity high

Im not a bit surprised. I normally have a select few guys i would ask for a spot at my gym and they are all over 55. I like headphones because it stops people from talking to me. But the phones just piss me off. Or the guy using 5 different machines who doesnt even look like he lifts.

Im not a bit surprised. I normally have a select few guys i would ask for a spot at my gym and they are all over 55. I like headphones because it stops people from talking to me. But the phones just piss me off. Or the guy using 5 different machines who doesnt even look like he lifts.
The key is to hop on one of them and start using it when he runs across the gym to the other machine he's using.

Wait till he comes back saying he's using it and reply with "no you're not, you're using that one over there." Then put your headphones back in and proceed to lift

The guy takes his headphones off one ear ands says "what?" he repeats "could i please get a quick spot"....the guy looks right at him and says "fuck off"

thats not normal. maybe the guy was intimidated and didnt know waht was expected or was afraid hed mess up.
theres gym culture and new to gym culture. the people who stay figure it out

It's like that more and more these days. I don't mind lending a spot or even giving a little advice when a question is asked though. The younger crowd "knows everything" and the older ones just want to get their workout done lol. I don't get approached at the gym but I have one of those resting go fuck yourself faces 😁

It's like that more and more these days. I don't mind lending a spot or even giving a little advice when a question is asked though. The younger crowd "knows everything" and the older ones just want to get their workout done lol. I don't get approached at the gym but I have one of those resting go fuck yourself faces 😁

Definitely see this in the gym.. Its ppl who've lifted for literally 2 weeks to maybe 2 years who act and walk like they know it all.. Yet they never develope past that initial spurt when they first picked up a weight. Quite funny actually

Dude I see it all the time. Between the half reps with ego weight and the IG flexing posts while they bench in the squat rack a lot of them are just taking up space. Some are far more receptive to criticism than others and you can usually tell they're trying to learn when you watch them work out. I'm not the type to walk up and chat with with people though so I'm not impressing any knowledge on somebody unless they specifically ask...and usually it's how the fuck do they grow calves lol

When i grew up in the gyms...no one wore headphones, the gym played real music and all the regulars knew each other and would be social. You did not need a training partner as you could just give the guy next to you a nod and he would gladly give you a lift off or spot. And then catch your eye to see if you need another for the next set.

Fast forward 25 years ....My son usually trains with me but yesterday he went on his own after school. I told him to make sure he got a spot on his top sets to not risk injury. He is 17, 6'3 and 190 lb in shape hockey player so not a little snot nosed kid. he was doing incline dumbbells and asked they guy next to him for a spot. The guy takes his headphones off one ear ands says "what?" he repeats "could i please get a quick spot"....the guy looks right at him and says "fuck off"

That sucks! My gym plays shit music so I always have my headphones in. But whether I go in the afternoon before night shift or evening after day shift. The regular crews are always there. My boys and a couple girls mostly train in the evening. So always someone there for a spot. And when we’re going for a big lift whether it be squat bench dead or even a big top set on the hack squat, you can usually find us all circled around hyping each other up. Love my gym and love my Crew! My second family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know my gym is very friendly I have people coming up telling me how much they like my outfit they are very friendly smiling and saying hello and strike a conversation. That’s maybe why you need a new gym!

The gym I work out at is privately owned and really not a lot of rules..

There's a handful of guys who literally walk around with no shirt on regularly.. Theres one guy who NEVER wears a shirt when he does cardio.

none of these guys have any sort of build I would be writting home about or looking to show off

I don’t know my gym is very friendly I have people coming up telling me how much they like my outfit they are very friendly smiling and saying hello and strike a conversation. That’s maybe why you need a new gym!
Within a 15-20 minute drive all the gyms near me are big chains. I really just need to buy an acreage with a detached garage and build a proper gym.