What’s your motivation?

WpnAlpha

Trusted Member
I’m sure this kind of question has been played out, but what is everyone’s motivation to train?

What got you started lifting weights/training? For me, it was a slow evolution. I had years of general athleticism through football, biking and running. At 17, I was tall and lanky, and got sick of it being pointed out to me frequently how “lanky” I was and started seeing the benefit of lifting weights and increasing my calorie intake. The obsession to train slowly grew from there.

What motivates me now? As with most people I’m sure, I like looking good and feeling good. Of course, it’s a stress reliever for me which is big as well. On top of those, my wife and I try to model a reasonably healthy lifestyle for our daughter.

Just trying to keep my body in reasonably good condition.

I hate having a hard time getting out of bed each morning.
Old Guy needs muscles to lift the 200lbs + hookers off him in the morning. (The only reason he has a hard time getting out of bed).

Started going over the reasons in my head and they just kept stacking up on each other so my final answer is...is there a single reason NOT to lift??

Earliest memory (I was 10ish?) was touching my uncles bicep 💪 when he flexed. For what ever reason that stood out to me as surreal.

Then got my cheap plastic weight set for xmas.
Then Conan the Barbarian (Arnold/Stallone movies etc)
Then the Muscle and Fitness Magazines. (Lee Haney days)
And so on...fast forward 30-35 years the simple answer is...I just love it. Mentally, physically, emotionally, longevity, etc.
It’s like a race car or monster truck I get to ride around in 24 hours a day!
What’s not to love?? 😂

Honestly I started training in my 20’s to get an advantage with picking up woman. I’m short so I needed an edge.
It worked.
Then I stopped for years and started again in my 40’s because I was getting weak and out of shape.
Truthfully I really got into it again as the younger woman flirted as I got in better shape.

Now, I don’t really have a motivation. Pretty much forcing myself, and hopefully one day the bug will hit me again and I’ll be full swing. I really need a buddy to train with to bring some excitement.

I’m sure this kind of question has been played out, but what is everyone’s motivation to train?

What got you started lifting weights/training? For me, it was a slow evolution. I had years of general athleticism through football, biking and running. At 17, I was tall and lanky, and got sick of it being pointed out to me frequently how “lanky” I was and started seeing the benefit of lifting weights and increasing my calorie intake. The obsession to train slowly grew from there.

What motivates me now? As with most people I’m sure, I like looking good and feeling good. Of course, it’s a stress reliever for me which is big as well. On top of those, my wife and I try to model a reasonably healthy lifestyle for our daughter.
I started lift weights the day this happened....
I was an apprentice boilermaker... trying to hang a 5t chainfall on a beam above my head on a shackle... couldn't do it.. then my partner who was a huge bodybuilder grabbed the chainfall out of my hands and hung it one handed....
The next day I bought a gym membership!

What keeps me motivated now... when at work guys come to me to help with heavy lifts.. I'm one of the go to guys... also having my wife complement my arms or delts keeps my pretty motivated too.
And for bonus points.. always nice when I hear one of my kids telling there friends.. "my dad is bigger then your dad"

Lol don't laugh what ever keeps us motivated right?? Lol
Cheers!!

I started bodybuilding because I was skinny kid and very embarrassed of it. I remember watching one of my friends is high school blow up one year and it was then I said 'fuck being skinny ever again'. That was 17 years ago.

I wouldnt say anything keep me motivated. I bodybuild because I love it. I don't need anything to get me to the gym or eat the food I do. Its been a lifestyle for so long its just what it is now. I like looking different than most people, I like that its good for overall physical and mental health, there's not a downside to it man.

Started around 16 because I was the smallest kid on sports teans growing up. And watching WWF made me want to get bigger. But that only lasted a few years. Started lifting seriously again around 25 after a few years of drug abuse. Quit everything and starting lifting. Its a way of life now. I only do it because I love it. Even if i lived in a cave I would still train