What’s your career!

You have younger kids so having balance isn’t a bad this. Myself on the other hand have sold my soul to the devil lol
More importantly then the family (jk) I'll be able to go to the gym again :)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I am a red seal boilermaker.
I did 12 years in the union. Until I decided to hire on directly to one company.. for a career term.

The last 7 years I work directly for an oil/chemical refinery.
I still am a boilermaker... just do some extra mechanical work on top of it.

It is a great job... no more traveling.. no more hotels... at home every night to see my wife and kids.

The last few years I've been taking temporary supervision assignments during plant maintenance outages.

I Started out on a shovel in open pit mining as a good ol farm boy from the prairies I got that job.
Then began repairing the eqpt in the winter. Became a foreman, then went into construction industry and started as an ironworker, then got my ticket in that. Then went back and got my welding tickets. Then got tired of the welding fumes etc, went back and got my ticket for millwright.
Did that for many years, then became a GF in construction, new builds and installs and commissioning and got into project management.
Went into working for one company, went back to school and got my MMP professional designation, then I wanted another professional document so I became a reliability professional.
Now I am a maintenance and engineering manager working for Big industrial companies in oil and gas, mining, pulp, pulp and paper, OSB, MDF, made booze in Windsor for a few years at Hiram Walker. Love it.
In Charge of Trades groups supervisors, superintendents and planners as well mechanical and electrical and reliability engineers.

I am at the top of the game of where I want to be now, I surpassed my career goals I set out to do, and keep getting asked to climb up one more notch and it is not going to happen, the air is far too thin up there.
I take pride in the fact that pretty much anyone I work with say I am a good mix of old school logic with new school techniques. I love old school logic and ethics. I don't think my shit doesn't stink like some senior managers do, I get my boots on the floor.

Countrychic and I cruise around as a team now, she is a health/safety and environmental professional, and me in maintenance works out excellent with a shit ton of opportunities being thrown at us. Lots of hard ass work, but now a different kind of work and stress, but we love every second of this life.

Hopefully finished oil patch....Home Inspector and Mold and asbestos investigator / air quality sampling
People definitely do not appreciate the amount of health damage one may incur from mold and other indoor air contaminants. I respect your group a lot, basically saved My wifes and my life. Mold is bad, bad shit.

Quite the opposite on several sites (and countries) I've worked on. If they're caught snoozing they're canned immediately.
Cool job. I was in charge of commissioning all of the ship to shore cranes and rubber tired mobile cranes at Prince Rupert DP World port. Cool equipment. Longshoremans union there, crane operators were dispatched in pairs, one worked 8-12, the next 12-4 and got paid the full day each.
Hooked on to a spreader bar going up and down and now many of them are fully or semi-automated.

A lot different than a red seal crane operator out in the field doing big rigged up lifts. That is a great skill to watch and work with a good operator.

I'm a chef. Very interesting job in the context of Lifting. I mean, on the one hand I'm constantly surrounded by high quality proteins to sample... On the other, I have pasty chefs trying to fatten me up, alcohol reps trying to sell their booze in my dining room and other cooks making "family meals" just full of awful carbs and fat.

I'm an electric in the film biz.
Where do you work out of? Film and TV is my family background.

I'm a chef. Very interesting job in the context of Lifting. I mean, on the one hand I'm constantly surrounded by high quality proteins to sample... On the other, I have pasty chefs trying to fatten me up, alcohol reps trying to sell their booze in my dining room and other cooks making "family meals" just full of awful carbs and fat.

Plus you guys get to swear and sweat and yell in the kitchen. Well that's what I see on the angry chef show anyway...lol

Plus you guys get to swear and sweat and yell in the kitchen. Well that's what I see on the angry chef show anyway...lol
You have no idea. I've often pitched the idea of a Sirius/XM channel that's just a live recording of how we speak in the kitchen. I feel it would be highly entertaining. Every faux-pas in the business world lexicon is part of our daily discourse. As a male in a male dominated career, we can barely go half an hour without talking about dicks or assholes... F this or F that. Yelling, swearing, etc. It really is what you see on TV, and it's as hilarious as it is serious. We can really get into it because this job will chew you up and spit you out ASAP if you don't give a damn. The Raptors tomorrow, are really going to push our kitchen to the brink of what we can handle without literally killing one-another. The comradery afterwards, though, is second to none. I'd take a bullet for some of my cooks.

I'm not saying we're correct, or right... But when you hire people out of prison, the misfits and rejects of our socialized world... You get... Well, IMHO, some ride or die friends, and an absolutely hilarious podcast.

Last edited:

Toronto as an electric. I fell into the industry almost 20 yrs ago.