Want to lose fat and maintain muscle...Cardio is not the answer ... Alwyn Cosgrove Article

PGM

Trusted Member
The article shows studies that have proven that various groups on different weight loss routines, lose more weight when they do metabolic weight lifting exercises. So you lose fat and maintain or gain muscularity ... kill 2 birds with one stone.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-do-metabolic-resistance-training-not-cardio

I dislike cardio. Alwyn Cosgrove has proven himself in athletics by winning international TaeKwonDo Championships and I find he thinks outside the box. Read his articles on T-Nation. Some stuff on T-Nation is crap but some authors are real good like Dave John, Dave Tate, Mark Rippetoe.

I don't view cardio so much as a vessel for fat loss, but more-so as a method to increase food while losing fat.
In it's absolute simplest form, fat loss is caloris in < calories out. If you can burn 200 calories through cardio, that's an extra 200 calories you can eat while maintaining the same deficit.

And I have to question this study solely based on the "didn't lose any lean body mass, even at only 800 calories per day". 800 Calories/Day! Were they doing this study on children or something?

I don't view cardio so much as a vessel for fat loss, but more-so as a method to increase food while losing fat.
In it's absolute simplest form, fat loss is caloris in < calories out. If you can burn 200 calories through cardio, that's an extra 200 calories you can eat while maintaining the same deficit.

And I have to question this study solely based on the "didn't lose any lean body mass, even at only 800 calories per day". 800 Calories/Day! Were they doing this study on children or something?
I have trained this way and the weight drops right off me. It is like HIIT weight training. It helped me get ready for the competitions I did and it leaned me right out without a lot of muscle lose . I did have to have a clean diet as well. And no I think they did this study on undernourished children just to make the weight lose a challenge 😂 :cool:.

See how it peeled the fat off my back

[GALLERY=media, 38][/GALLERY]

Diet is what I use to lose fat.
I do cardio for lung capacity.
I do HIIT cardio as well for lung capacity but I find after metabolic training ... continuous weight training at high reps with moderate to heavy weights, makes me breath like a freight train and accomplishes the same thing.

I have trained this way and the weight drops right off me. It is like HIIT weight training. It helped me get ready for the competitions I did and it leaned me right out without a lot of muscle lose . I did have to have a clean diet as well. And no I think they did this study on undernourished children just to make the weight lose a challenge 😂 :cool:.

See how it peeled the fat off my back

[GALLERY=media, 38][/GALLERY]
Very impressive man

Reactions: PGM
In my opinion, fat is lost through diet, cardio is to keep healthy, and weights are an antidepressant. I rotate in metcon training twice a year to keep things interesting but haven’t noticed fat loss and muscle gain at the same time. In my opinion the only time this happens is when you’re new to working out, return following a four month break, or are taking a minimum of 500mg of test a week for 12 or more weeks.

Cardio might be considered to keep your heart and lungs healthy/stronger to enable harder lifts. I think of it as part of the package. No weights and time on the pile, no nice looking strong body. No heart and cardio, miss one of the building blocks to enable weights/strong body and long term health. I believe that working cardio is often meant to cut fat and yes if you do enough it will burn fat.

I cannot say for others but I'm going to come out the other end of hard lifting eventually. At that point my heart and lungs are either going to be junk or they're going to be trained like everything else. I figure I'll do triathlons or something because I just cannot sit still.

In my opinion, fat is lost through diet, cardio is to keep healthy, and weights are an antidepressant. I rotate in metcon training twice a year to keep things interesting but haven’t noticed fat loss and muscle gain at the same time. In my opinion the only time this happens is when you’re new to working out, return following a four month break, or are taking a minimum of 500mg of test a week for 12 or more weeks.
we eill agree to disagree :)

Cardio might be considered to keep your heart and lungs healthy/stronger to enable harder lifts. I think of it as part of the package. No weights and time on the pile, no nice looking strong body. No heart and cardio, miss one of the building blocks to enable weights/strong body and long term health. I believe that working cardio is often meant to cut fat and yes if you do enough it will burn fat.

I cannot say for others but I'm going to come out the other end of hard lifting eventually. At that point my heart and lungs are either going to be junk or they're going to be trained like everything else. I figure I'll do triathlons or something because I just cannot sit still.
The metabolic weight training is cardio. If you are breathing like a freight train when training weights for 30 to 45 minutes you are doing cardio and weights combined. That is kind of the point of the article. If you like doing non weightlifting cardio, go for it. Living is all about what you like. Pure slow 45 minute cardio makse me want to take a gun and shoot myself in the head. So I do 20 minute HIIT walk sprint cardio, that I can enjoy.

The metabolic weight training is cardio. If you are breathing like a freight train when training weights for 30 to 45 minutes you are doing cardio and weights combined. That is kind of the point of the article. If you like doing non weightlifting cardio, go for it. Living is all about what you like. Pure slow 45 minute cardio makse me want to take a gun and shoot myself in the head. So I do 20 minute HIIT walk sprint cardio, that I can enjoy.
I personally don’t think slow 45 minute cardio would do shit for heart health.
HIIT cardio would.
Just like you need to lift heavy with intensity to train muscles, it’s my thought you need to do the same for cardio.
I do 20 min interval training, and by the end I want to be struggling for air. Once it gets easy, I up the level.

I do HIIT cardio as well for lung capacity but I find after metabolic training ... continuous weight training at high reps with moderate to heavy weights, makes me breath like a freight train and accomplishes the same thing.
I split my workouts, no way I’d do interval cardio right after I train.
So I get home and lift weights before dinner, then after dinner I do cardio. I can do it on a full stomach, doesn’t bother me at all, lol. Sometimes I just need to slow a bit to fart, lol.
If I was doing more of a slow paced training, then I can do cardio after, but I only do cardio a few times a week. Mainly it just to get my lung capacity higher, so I can lift harder.

So I get home and lift weights before dinner, then after dinner I do cardio. I can do it on a full stomach, doesn’t bother me at all, lol. Sometimes I just need to slow a bit to fart, lol.
If I was doing more of a slow paced training, then I can do cardio after, but I only do cardio a few times a week. Mainly it just to get my lung capacity higher, so I can lift harder.
great approach

So I get home and lift weights before dinner, then after dinhttps://media.npr.org/assets/img/2017/11/14/popeye-arm-1-6a27f902b9071ae7ener I do cardio. I can do it on a full stomach, doesn’t bother me at all, lol. Sometimes I just need to slow a bit to fart, lol.
I find that if I ride my trainer after a workout at the gym, maybe a swim, dinner and so on that I clear lactic acid out. I have zero laggy soreness to deal with.

Now can anybody get me a doctor that can give me better than an 85% chance that I won't get Popeye arm by having my left labrum reattached?

Want to know what Popeye arm is? Yes. that is where they operate on your labrum, disconnect your bicep and it doesn't stay reattached. So do every lift with my left arm in agony orrr maybe be normal or maybe be that. :(
popeye-arm-1-6a27f902b9071ae7e29b73ed0543404a1685b9a9.jpg

I find that if I ride my trainer after a workout at the gym, maybe a swim, dinner and so on that I clear lactic acid out. I have zero laggy soreness to deal with.

Now can anybody get me a doctor that can give me better than an 85% chance that I won't get Popeye arm by having my left labrum reattached?

Want to know what Popeye arm is? Yes. that is where they operate on your labrum, disconnect your bicep and it doesn't stay reattached. So do every lift with my left arm in agony orrr maybe be normal or maybe be that. :(
I would go for the surgery for sure just for the hell of it depending on age, a tear is no fun. I tor my pec and bicep same time and it is not quite to that extent but it does give me major mobility problems, pain and
throbbing intermittently. pec tear.jpg

Last edited:

Free healthcare in Canada is wonderful.
Dud they figure since you were older you didnt need the strength so they didn’t reattach it?

I feel for ya... Dropped my left bicep 2.5 years ago.. Dr, said no reattachment... Was devastated.. Had people asking why my arm looked deformed when working out... mine looks like it was scooped out with a spoon, where the muscle is supposed to be... Fuken really suks...Apologies to the OP. for derail..
Cardio for weight loss made me skinny fat at one point...

Free healthcare in Canada is wonderful.
Dud they figure since you were older you didnt need the strength so they didn’t reattach it?
I don't know if they were just trying to scare me but when the doctor said my labrum was torn and it was an 85/15 success/fail chance, that 15 looks like a gigantic number when you look at the pictures.

Arm curls, deads, getting in position for triceps, rowing...anything that moves the inside of my arm between my elbow and shoulder feels like someone sticking a syringe into a junction of nerves before grinding it in a circle. It's awful but frig...I still think about the 15 no matter what. :(

I feel for ya... Dropped my left bicep 2.5 years ago.. Dr, said no reattachment... Was devastated.. Had people asking why my arm looked deformed when working out... mine looks like it was scooped out with a spoon, where the muscle is supposed to be... Fuken really suks...Apologies to the OP. for derail..
Cardio for weight loss made me skinny fat at one point...
They're restore someone younger to perfect no matter how stupid they were but you pass 40 and there's just less...excitement to help.

I know a guy whose son blew his acl/mcl in football playing university ball. Had them repaired and about two weeks after getting himself into a position to rehab but DO NOT DO ANYTHING MAJOR, he blew the acl out again, damaged the mcl again while tossing a football to someone. The thing is that they weren't just tossing a football, they were running on uneven ground too. Doctor just rebuilt his knee once again, I'm sure rolling his eyes but hey hey, just 20 and whole life ahead of him!