Vitamin B12 Recommendations?

OldAndStrong

Trusted Member
I've started Xantac to replace Pantoprazole and it's recommended to supplement with B12.

I also see a lot of wellness clinics in Calgary offering injections claiming it will help with:

improved energy
improved mood and reduced anxiety
more restful sleep
reduced irritability
improved memory
reduced peripheral neuropathy
increased immune function
increased metabolism, aiding in weight loss

The stuff is cheap and, of course, I can/will self-inject, but I could use advice with titration/dose/etc.

Also, I'm interested in other’s experiences with B12 injections.

I'm 60, pin 100mg of test e3.5d and take other supplements: omega 3, MSM, D3, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, Calcium and a multivitamin.

There is a protocol to follow with B-12 injections.
Manufacturer recommendation: 100 mcg IM/SC once daily for 6-7 days, then every other day for 7 doses, then every 3-4 days for 2-3 weeks, then monthly.
I use Cyanocobalamin and administer it monthly but every so often will go for a bit of a run and use it weekly.

Manufacturer recommendation: 100 mcg IM/SC once daily for 6-7 days, then every other day for 7 doses, then every 3-4 days for 2-3 weeks, then monthly.
I use Cyanocobalamin and administer it monthly but every so often will go for a bit of a run and use it weekly.

That's great @Bagua... Thanks!

Is the recommended monthly dose 1000mcg?

That's great @Bagua... Thanks!

Is the recommended monthly dose 1000mcg?

Yes, sir. 1000 mcg. One simple injection. You can play with the dose after you have started without any serious repercussions. I tend to take more in the winter to combat the effects of SAD and it sort of works. I seriously recommend that you do the protocol to start. You may actually feel something in the first month.

Yes, sir. 1000 mcg. One simple injection. You can play with the dose after you have started without any serious repercussions. I tend to take more in the winter to combat the effects of SAD and it sort of works. I seriously recommend that you do the protocol to start. You may actually feel something in the first month.

Great... Thank you.

I did this protocol you suggested when we were talkin about it awhile back . I went in and did blood work and added b 12 to check and it was 1126 pmol about 700 higher then high normal lolol

So it works the doc told me to lay off the b 12 bahahaha , but curious question i stopped talking b 12 when do you think i should re take it , it stores in your liver or something for awhile doesn't it ?

I did this protocol you suggested when we were talkin about it awhile back . I went in and did blood work and added b 12 to check and it was 1126 pmol about 700 higher then high normal lolol

So it works the doc told me to lay off the b 12 bahahaha , but curious question i stopped talking b 12 when do you think i should re take it , it stores in your liver or something for awhile doesn't it ?
Same with me @Harley00 - I take weekly B-12 injections but my B-12 was off the charts high so I lowered my dose from 1000 mcg per week. It isn't going to hurt you but the doc was wondering why it was so high so I told her what I was doing. She suggested laying off for a but and then starting again a little lower.

It won't hurt you, but yes you are right about storage in the liver. Did you reduce to the maintenance dose of monthly shots?

It won't hurt you, but yes you are right about storage in the liver. Did you reduce to the maintenance dose of monthly shots?

No sir he said stop and that vitamin b 12 is good for you he also said that too mich vitamin b 12 is bad for you ? I do not see any evidence of that but that is what he said. Its only been 3 weeks since i went in so i have not taken any more yet. Wasn't really sure how long to wait to get levels to drop in range i was 700 pmol over the high normal . Have tou heard any evidence to support too much b 12 is bad for you ?

Same with me @Harley00 - I take weekly B-12 injections but my B-12 was off the charts high so I lowered my dose from 1000 mcg per week. It isn't going to hurt you but the doc was wondering why it was so high so I told her what I was doing. She suggested laying off for a but and then starting again a little lower.
Lololol yup same as me lol but my doc said too much can be bad for your nerves ? And to stop for awhike.

No sir he said stop and that vitamin b 12 is good for you he also said that too mich vitamin b 12 is bad for you ? I do not see any evidence of that but that is what he said. Its only been 3 weeks since i went in so i have not taken any more yet. Wasn't really sure how long to wait to get levels to drop in range i was 700 pmol over the high normal . Have tou heard any evidence to support too much b 12 is bad for you ?

Over the years I have read of only a couple incidences of Vitamin B 12 toxicity and this was with oral formulas and during the treatment of pernicious anemia. It's due to it being water-soluble.
I think you may be able to get access to this article for your reading pleasure.

Over the years I have read of only a couple incidences of Vitamin B 12 toxicity and this was with oral formulas and during the treatment of pernicious anemia. It's due to it being water-soluble.
I think you may be able to get access to this article for your reading pleasure.
Thank you

I can't recall the name/formula but there is a new B-12 pill at supplement stores that claims to be better absorbed than injectable forms. I find that hard to believe but that was the handout with the product. I didn't buy it but read the handout.