Using beans to reduce meat and cost

Deadmouse

Trusted Member
Hi guys.

I wanted to share my experiment i'm going to do and see if some people here are already doing it.

Basically i'm going to cut the meat in half in two of my meals and substitute it with navy beans.

The pro's of navy beans:

- Complete amino acid profile
- Inexpensive
- Full of fiber and micronutrients

The con's:

- Harder to digest (soaking them can facilitate that)
- Presence of phytic acid (anti-nutrient) (soaking them can help reduce the amount of phytic acid)

I'm thinking about making a "chili" with them and adding ground horse meat (leanest red meat i can find) or maybe doing a kind of burrito bowl with chicken, rice, and beans with hot sauce.

I also like them with chopped tomatoes as a side dish to my whole eggs in the morning.

What are your thoughts ?

DM

Depending on what beans you're consuming, you may not be getting a complete protein unless you're eating them with a complementary food that will complete the amino acid profile. Many people end up way over their caloric target because of this—something to think about.

I hear ya though, meat has skyrocketed in price which is why I'm buying whole chickens and breaking them down. It takes planning but I've cut my meat bill down substantially by doing so.

Wait horse meat? How have I never heard of
this being part of someone’s day to day diet before?
Aside from ww1 same here. Had no idea it was actually sold consistently enough to purchase
Be careful with that stuff fellas. Consume too much and you could end up looking like this guy -
serge.jpg

I never really was sure If I should believe some of his claims but here is a sample, no idea what this search revealed but the headlines are in line with what I remember being said back then.

I have seen horse in grocery stores in Scandinavia but never seen it here in Canada ( I think most people are quite squeamish about eating horse in North America). Ground horse works well in meat sauces and chili.

I have seen horse in grocery stores in Scandinavia but never seen it here in Canada ( I think most people are quite squeamish about eating horse in North America). Ground horse works well in meat sauces and chili.
I ate it fairly often as a kid, that's what the parents bought. We mostly had it thinly sliced like you would use ham. Haven't seen it in a looong time but I've not been looking for it either. Def nothing wrong with it IME

My dad bought a kill plant that used to process horses in Edmonton. It was called Alsask. I still have the belt buckle, the mascot was a Pegasus, lol.
They converted it over to kill beef, guess wasn’t a big market in horse in Edmonton. It was actually right beside the Belvedere LRT station.
This was a couple decades ago now. I’m not even sure if the plant is still there.

It makes sense if it’s much cheaper, especially if you’re consuming 6lbs of meat daily like Serge. I wanted to try it before. If I find a source and it’s good, why not. How do they pick which horse to slaughter? Do they have farms like cow farms?

Would some race horses perform better if they knew they were next? (That’s a joke but a bad one, sorry PETA)

I soak romano beans and chickpeas. Consume them daily.

My biggest pet peeve with beans is if you eat them every day, you need to wipe forever because your poop becomes paste.

Also take digestive enzymes to help digestion,
I always thought this indication should figure more heavily in ones foods choices.
No animal in the wild on it's natural diet needs to wipe it's ass.
Shit clumps around your cat or dogs anus is a sign to a vet.
but humans think nothing of balling up half a roll 3 times a day.
If you aren't ghost wiping, something is wrong

Horse-meat production (2009)
CountryTons per year
Mexico78,000
Argentina57,000
Kazakhstan55,000
Mongolia38,000
Kyrgyzstan25,000
United States25,000
Australia24,000
Brazil21,000
Canada18,000
Poland18,000
Italy16,000
Romania14,000
Chile10,000
Senegal9,500
Uruguay8,000
France7,500
Colombia6,000
Spain5,000

What are the macros on 100g of horse 🥸
Depends on the cut just like any other animal but 21-29g Pro and 6-15% fat

It makes sense if it’s much cheaper, especially if you’re consuming 6lbs of meat daily like Serge. I wanted to try it before. If I find a source and it’s good, why not. How do they pick which horse to slaughter? Do they have farms like cow farms?

Would some race horses perform better if they knew they were next? (That’s a joke but a bad one, sorry PETA)

I soak romano beans and chickpeas. Consume them daily.
I don't think it's cheaper but not sure, I saw it online just now at IGA for $17 a kg. That's a good joke not a bad one and fuck those phony murderous PETA scumbags (IMO :) ).

Wait horse meat? How have I never heard of
this being part of someone’s day to day diet before?

Man so I work the oilfield and one of the guy I work with orders horse meat . Anyways long story short one day at work he’s like “ hey man try this out” I’m like what is it? He’s like oh just try it man tell ‘em what you think. It looks like a piece of fried beef with some pepper.
I try it it, it’s real fucking good falls apart in my mouth tastes better than beef. I was like sn what’s that , he says it’s horse meat I BBQ it last night .
Yeah you can order horse from the hutterites in Alberta amd it’s cheap. No idea what the macros are but it’s same tasty if cooked right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never tried horse meat but always open to try. I like to use a lot of lentils due to the health benefits plus a decent vegan protein source but not the best.

Tip for the meat and saving costs

If you are close to a fortinos they take their whole cooked chickens and everyday if they don't sell they put them at 50% off. I get a whole chicken already roasted for $6

thats a great deal