Understanding your own blood work

Princess_Penguin

Trusted Member
I am a true believer that people need to be responsible for their own health issues and they should 1) always listen and ask questions to health care professionals 2) self educate themselves so that they know what is going on with their bodies.

I am posting this link because I think it is a great learning too. I think everyone should look at all their blood work and understand why each test was done and they should pay attention to the values. First, you should see where you fall within the normal ranges are you in the upper end or lower end? Second, if something is high or low and your doctor is not concerned with it look it up and see if there is a dietary/environmental factors that you can change in order to get this value in a better range. I feel that medicine is tailored towards addressing issues once there is a problem and not tailored towards preventative medicine (i.e we wait until someone is sick to try to fix the problem instead of preventing the problem to occur in the first place).

Let me know your thoughts, I have spent many hows on this page reading about all kinds of tests/results. Its very easy to understand and it has a lot of useful information.

https://labtestsonline.org/tests/thyroid-stimulating-hormone-tsh

I clicked on TSH, in the search box in the top right you can type anything from your blood work and read up on it! So AST, ALT, bilirubin, LDL, HDL and so on.