Uncomfortable topic... constipation

I was gonna start a thread and call it “Let’s talk poop 💩 “ but there’s no more need for it thanks to this thread.

I stopped drinking so much tea and noticed the effects today. I hate the damn feeling.

I have been using Metamucil every morning for a couple of years now. But sometimes I get constipated during stressful times. Water and movement are very important like everyone said. The olive oil hack is pretty good too. Works with lots of fish oil as well on an empty stomach. Prune juice I agree with as well.

Be careful with pushing out concrete logs and pushing out loose stool or water, the high pressure will cause hemorrhoids.
High pressure causes diverticulosis as well.

Drink quite a bit of water most days, I'd say probably average 3L, sometimes more, sometimes less, but all I drink these days is water, and I only ever do one travel mug of decaf coffee in the morning now, so it's been decent I think.
Food wise, it's usually banana in the morning, then I fast, then when I get home I'll do like a protein mug cake, usually have white fish or chicken breast for dinner with usually 200+g of some veggies, usually broccoli or lately I've been into this stir fry mix of veggies, I just steam them, but it's like water chestnut, carrots, some greens etc.
Other than that, I snack a lot on turkey breast deli meat, cheddar cheese, some crackers here and there, a lot of times I'll just have a white fish filet for a snack that I air fry... stuff like that mostly
Don't forget to watch though over drinking water will flush certain vitamins and minerals from your body. Everything water soluble vitamin C and the B vitamins: thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, B6, biotin, folic acid, and B12. Thats bit me in the ass a few times

Thanks so much guys, this is all great stuff. Managed to have a decent one on Friday but now a couple days removed again so...
Been looking into increasing my potassium intake first, I'll let you guys know how that goes, basically just eating more bananas in the day, went up from 1 to 3, eating more spinach and broccoli, which doesn't hurt the diet at all as they're so low on total cals... gonna keep watching how much potassium I get for the next week or so and see if that's what's causing the problems.
Starting with the potassium as there are several symptoms associated with lack of potassium that I seem to also be experiencing so it seems to fit.
To answer a few more questions/assumptions. Been eating clean as fuxk for a while so don't think it's anything like that, havnt had junk food for like 6 months. Been working out twice a day now, for around 2-2.5 hrs a day, split into 2 sessions, one cardio and the other weights. Move around as much as I can given my job has me at a desk all day, but once I'm finished I'm usually pretty active: pick up my kids, make dinner, give baths, get everyone ready for bed, etc. So I'm moving around pretty consistently once I'm home. Oh and I've been supplementing with magnesium for a few months now, around 300/day so not sure if that's the cause as some have suggested.
I'll update as the week goes on let you guys know how the potassium thing goes. Went to try and get a potassium suppliment only to find out they are by prescription only.

Anyone have suggestions as to what to add or increase in the diet to try and make my minimum potassium requirements?

Thanks so much guys, this is all great stuff. Managed to have a decent one on Friday but now a couple days removed again so...
Been looking into increasing my potassium intake first, I'll let you guys know how that goes, basically just eating more bananas in the day, went up from 1 to 3, eating more spinach and broccoli, which doesn't hurt the diet at all as they're so low on total cals... gonna keep watching how much potassium I get for the next week or so and see if that's what's causing the problems.
Starting with the potassium as there are several symptoms associated with lack of potassium that I seem to also be experiencing so it seems to fit.
To answer a few more questions/assumptions. Been eating clean as fuxk for a while so don't think it's anything like that, havnt had junk food for like 6 months. Been working out twice a day now, for around 2-2.5 hrs a day, split into 2 sessions, one cardio and the other weights. Move around as much as I can given my job has me at a desk all day, but once I'm finished I'm usually pretty active: pick up my kids, make dinner, give baths, get everyone ready for bed, etc. So I'm moving around pretty consistently once I'm home. Oh and I've been supplementing with magnesium for a few months now, around 300/day so not sure if that's the cause as some have suggested.
I'll update as the week goes on let you guys know how the potassium thing goes. Went to try and get a potassium suppliment only to find out they are by prescription only.

Anyone have suggestions as to what to add or increase in the diet to try and make my minimum potassium requirements?
Just fiber. I take one huge tablespoon at night before bed.

Just fiber. I take one huge tablespoon at night before bed.
I’ve been doing this every morning. Should I switch to night time?

I started it a couple of years ago, thanks to the experiences you’ve shared. I never strained after reading a bunch of your posts either. I’m also glad you’ve recovered and doing well now. I had nice laughs at times too (not at you but the way you joked about some stuff 😝).

I started it a couple of years ago, thanks to the experiences you’ve shared. I never strained after reading a bunch of your posts either. I’m also glad you’ve recovered and doing well now. I had nice laughs at times too (not at you but the way you joked about some stuff 😝).
Morning is fine. Just as long as you take it. Actually my surgeon said to take in the morning, and to not worry about it happening to me again. He said he fixed me permanently.

If you don’t strain much you’ll never get what I had. Which in the end, really wasn’t all that bad, no worse than hernia surgery, but why if you don’t need to, lol.

I've experimented with all different times of the day. I found before bed to be the most optimal. It gives it time to work and do its thing while you're in a rested state and not eating any food. Then when you wake up you'll be good to go!

Last edited:

Check out the Vertical Diet, you should be able to find a free PDF on it somewhere. I don't have the time right now but I will try and get it for you later.

Potato, spinach, milk, orange juice. Just a few off the top of my head. Also different meats can have higher potassium than others so look into that as well. If I'm not wrong Salmon is higher potassium.

I Keep the balance by using a product called half salt very liberally. https://windsorsalt.com/product/half-salt/
Full ingredients list here - https://www.gtanutrition.ca/product/windsor-half-salt-350g/

I also keep a bottle of "colon blow" around because I would rather piss out my as like a race horse than tear up my asshole from trying to pass a 2 foot long clump of concrete because I fucked up.
Ok, it's not really called colon blow. I think that was from an old SNL skit. It's the stuff you take to clean you out before surgery. If you have to resort to that stuff ever drink a ton of water cause otherwise you risk getting dehydrated. Not to be taken regularly unless you are an anal sex receiver.

And yeah, pretty damn fine bunch here eh?
Good stuff, I use salt free product. That is the name of it by Windsor.
Potassium chloride , potassium iodide at a very low dose and calcium chloride as a non stick ingredient very very low concentration. Works excellent at 640 mg potassium per quarter tsp. I Use it daily.

Hey guys,

Recently crossed the threshold of 60lbs lost since October.
I also just quit smoking weed, and was a chronic everyday user for over 10 years. First day no smoke was on Monday.

Giving you these details because...
On Tuesday I took a shit, first time in a few days and it was rough. Since then have not taken a shit.
No discomfort or anything just something I noticed, and wondering possible causes or if I should be concerned.
Just went out and bought a bunch of blackberries and strawberries to try and increase my fiber intake.
Any ideas or things to watch out for would be much appreciated.
Also of note, have not been sleeping very well since quitting the smoke but I expected that, not sure if that might be contributing

Likely due to your diet/removing coffee/not enough water....

A wise man (on here) told me to try taking metamucil everyday.. one of the best peices of advice I've been given and I have since passed it along to many friends and anyone of them who tried 1 tsp a day for 2 weeks has never stopped taking it.

But be careful, chronic constipation can be a sign of underlying medical conditions that should be addressed..

If your eating enough fibre and drinking enough water, you shouldn't be constirpated (after your body adjusts to no cafeine)

I also used Lactulose after my accident. My dosage of morphine was really high for many months. Relaxing my colon and lower intestine. It works well. But be careful things get loose quick!!!!

Today despite a rearranged intestinal track and a few missing organs I find eating oranges keep me on track.

Hey guys,

Recently crossed the threshold of 60lbs lost since October.
I also just quit smoking weed, and was a chronic everyday user for over 10 years. First day no smoke was on Monday.

Giving you these details because...
On Tuesday I took a shit, first time in a few days and it was rough. Since then have not taken a shit.
No discomfort or anything just something I noticed, and wondering possible causes or if I should be concerned.
Just went out and bought a bunch of blackberries and strawberries to try and increase my fiber intake.
Any ideas or things to watch out for would be much appreciated.
Also of note, have not been sleeping very well since quitting the smoke but I expected that, not sure if that might be contributing
Congrats on your weightloss

Constipation is very common, and you haven’t said anything here that concerns me of a sinister underlying cause.

I agree with fibre + water intake. Dietary fibre is ideal, however psyllium husk (Metamucil) is a great and easy additive.

If your still having issues, your next step is adding Restoralax or Lax-A-Day (PEG3350). This is a VERY SAFE, osmotically active molecule to draw water into the bowels. This is the same idea of how prune juice and lactulose works, however it’s more effective and not absorbed at all (wont raise blood sugar, like juices). It is also not a motility laxitive (ie: You will NOT ever get dependent on it). Typical use is 1 tablespoon (17g) daily, however you can titrate this. Target 1-2 soft bowel movements daily for a couple weeks to clean yourself out. Then you can stop using it and see how you do with diet and water alone. Stay away from lactulose. It’s gross and you don’t need it.

Message me if you have any specific questions.
PA