UFC 268 - Usman - Covington 2

Bolton73

Trusted Member
Who do you guys got for the upcoming card?

I'm picking Usman over Covington. They're wrestling cancels each other out, and it appears that Usman has probably made more improvement on his stand-up than Colby had. Usman has been working with Trevor Wittman whose one of the best striking coaches in the game.

I'm picking Zhang Weili over Rose. I think Weili can pull it off. She got caught early last time (and might have been a bit overtrained - ergo her inability to take the shot). But I could be biased since I just really dislike Rose.

I got Chandler over Gaethje - although I struggle with this one. They're both great grapplers, so it could end up a striking war - and I'd probably go with Chandler on that one. However, they both have heavy hands and can finish a fight at any time.

I'm picking Marlon Vera over Frankie Edgar. Frankie in his prime would get the W, but at 40 years old (and the lighter weights age out earlier) - I think Frankie is over the hill now.

Finally, I'm picking Bobby Green over Al Iaquinta. I feel Green is the better fighter, plus Iaquinta only won one fight in the last 4 and a half years. But Iaquinta is still youngish, so who knows - maybe he can bounce back.

So, who do you guys have? Usman or Colby; Thug Rose or Weili; Chandler or Gaethje ?

I would agree with them all except gaethje. No way in hell I would bet against him. I would even go as far to say 1st round KO for gaethje.

I would agree with them all except gaethje. No way in hell I would bet against him. I would even go as far to say 1st round KO for gaethje.
Yeah, that was the one i struggled with. I think it could end quickly on either side at any time. They both have a ton of stoppages, and they've both been stopped themselves a few times.

It could likely be war, maybe even a very short war ... but sometimes when i think that, it ends up being a chess match. :sneaky:

I'm picking Usman over Covington. They're wrestling cancels each other out, and it appears that Usman has probably made more improvement on his stand-up than Colby had. Usman has been working with Trevor Wittman whose one of the best striking coaches in the game.

I'm picking Zhang Weili over Rose. I think Weili can pull it off. She got caught early last time (and might have been a bit overtrained - ergo her inability to take the shot). But I could be biased since I just really dislike Rose.

I got Chandler over Gaethje - although I struggle with this one. They're both great grapplers, so it could end up a striking war - and I'd probably go with Chandler on that one. However, they both have heavy hands and can finish a fight at any time.

I'm picking Marlon Vera over Frankie Edgar. Frankie in his prime would get the W, but at 40 years old (and the lighter weights age out earlier) - I think Frankie is over the hill now.

Finally, I'm picking Bobby Green over Al Iaquinta. I feel Green is the better fighter, plus Iaquinta only won one fight in the last 4 and a half years. But Iaquinta is still youngish, so who knows - maybe he can bounce back.

So, who do you guys have? Usman or Colby; Thug Rose or Weili; Chandler or Gaethje ?

Usman by TkO. Ground and pound. More decisively than last time

Rose by decision but this is truly a pickem

Gaethje by ko. Chin is just better

Vera is talented kid. Frankie is Worn out

Al wins. I just don’t like Green’s style. Lol. Fun fact: Seven years ago this weekend one of my guys submitted Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Usman by TkO. Ground and pound. More decisively than last time

Rose by decision but this is truly a pickem

Gaethje by ko. Chin is just better

Vera is talented kid. Frankie is Worn out

Al wins. I just don’t like Green’s style. Lol. Fun fact: Seven years ago this weekend one of my guys submitted Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm assuming that was a grappling tournament? I see on his record that he fought Ross Pearson in an MMA match that same weekend, unless you're referring to the Canadian fighter from Saskatoon who subbed him earlier that same year?

I agree Gaethje's chin is better, however ... either one of them has the power to stop the other one at any time. But I do agree, Gaethje does have the stronger chin. If i remember correctly, when Alvarez stopped Gaethje, he had to end up doing it through the body, because his chin wouldn't give in. But I remember Tony rocked Gaethje with an elbow (i think) at the end of the round in their fight.

This is a fight that i don't think will go the distance.

Here's what my parlay is
Usman by KO
Gaethje by KO
Zhang just for the win
Pays 7 to 1
Nice payout if it comes through. Ironic thing is, any one of those fights easily has the potential to be a fight of the night. Who knows, maybe they'll have to give out 6 FOTN bonuses :sneaky:

Dont forget gaethje gasses out really quick chandler is very good wrestler as well im not huge fans but one fact is that colby is a threat to usman

Dont forget gaethje gasses out really quick chandler is very good wrestler as well im not huge fans but one fact is that colby is a threat to usman
I agree, Colby still can pose a threat to Usman. The fight may really just come down to whose stand-up game has improved the most. And I'm also no a big Colby fan ... or an Usman fan, heheheh.

I'm assuming that was a grappling tournament? I see on his record that he fought Ross Pearson in an MMA match that same weekend, unless you're referring to the Canadian fighter from Saskatoon who subbed him earlier that same year?

I agree Gaethje's chin is better, however ... either one of them has the power to stop the other one at any time. But I do agree, Gaethje does have the stronger chin. If i remember correctly, when Alvarez stopped Gaethje, he had to end up doing it through the body, because his chin wouldn't give in. But I remember Tony rocked Gaethje with an elbow (i think) at the end of the round in their fight.

This is a fight that i don't think will go the distance.
It was UFC...you are correct it was May not Nov...for some reason it popped up on my FB memories this week. Either way, it was a Submission of the night Win. We worked on that anaconda choke for months. We were losing the fight and then he pulled that choke out.

I like both guys fighters style...it will be a good one as you are correct they both got KO power but my prediction is the better chin wins.

It was UFC...you are correct it was May not Nov...for some reason it popped up on my FB memories this week. Either way, it was a Submission of the night Win. We worked on that anaconda choke for months. We were losing the fight and then he pulled that choke out.

I like both guys fighters style...it will be a good one as you are correct they both got KO power but my prediction is the better chin wins.
I was just checking right now, and Gaethje is a -200 favorite.

BJJ (or even judo) is something i wished i learned years ago. I trained in boxing and thai boxing, but both those disciplines involve (1) Hurting the other person when trying to defend yourself, and (2) risking getting charged in the process. I'd much rather know something that can repel the other guy's attempts while not having to smash his face in.

Funny story. A good friend of mine used to be the striking coach at a well known MMA gym, and one day as he was leaving after class, the instructor for the women's judo class approached him. She mentioned that the individual who lets the women throw him (in order to practice their technique) couldn't make it, and she asked him if he could sub in for the guy. My buddy agreed and went onto the mat.

He told me that after the third or fourth time he hit the mats, he wished he hadn't said yes, lol. It got me to thinking: Lets say a guy is intent on starting something with you. He rushes you and you throw him to the ground. He rushes you again, and you take him down again. By the time he hits the concrete the 2nd or 3rd time, he's probably going to be reconsidering his decision to fight.

I'd much rather walk away after only having to hurt the guy's elbows/hip/butt a bit, than having to break his jaw, nose, etc. I'm all about trying to live peaceful nowadays.

Anyways, that was way off topic. That's quite a feather in your hat to have a student submit a top fighter from Serra-Longo ! Those guys know their grappling.

thx...yup back then we had 4 or 5 guys doing well in MMA internationally...one even fought on the Pride card in vegas. Those were fun times. Now my club is strictly grappling. MMA insurance has gotten stupid in Canada, there are very few local shows anymore and MMA students are great kids but not good for business. They go way to hard on the hobbyist and they got no money. LOL back then the house felt like a halfway house...wife was always feeding 2 or 3 of them, especially as we were getting close to fights and they could not afford to eat the quality food.

I hate getting hyped for a card as those are the ones that fall short of expectations

thx...yup back then we had 4 or 5 guys doing well in MMA internationally...one even fought on the Pride card in vegas. Those were fun times. Now my club is strictly grappling. MMA insurance has gotten stupid in Canada, there are very few local shows anymore and MMA students are great kids but not good for business. They go way to hard on the hobbyist and they got no money. LOL back then the house felt like a halfway house...wife was always feeding 2 or 3 of them, especially as we were getting close to fights and they could not afford to eat the quality food.

I hate getting hyped for a card as those are the ones that fall short of expectations
I was telling myself the same thing. On paper the main card looks chock full of barnburners ... but that often doesn't translate into the cage.

Totally agree with your picks! I don't see Rose getting another one over Weili and I think Usman just knows how to grind out decision wins if he gets into hot water at all.

Totally agree with your picks! I don't see Rose getting another one over Weili and I think Usman just knows how to grind out decision wins if he gets into hot water at all.
I agree. The fight I'm looking to see in the future is Khamzat vs Usman. Maybe he needs 1 or 2 more fights, then it could be an interesting matchup.

Great fights tonight!

I have to be honest and say that i really disagree with the judging on the last 2 fights. I had Zhang winning 48-47 and I had Colby winning 48-47 (or a 47-47 draw if you made the 2nd round a 10-8 round for Usman).

But the fact that in both fights there were judges who had Rose and Usman winning 49-46 is absolutely ridiculous. There's no way that Zhang and Colby one only one round in their respective fights.

There have been a few times over the years where I've almost stopped watching UFC simply because of the ridiculous judging. The only thing that keeps me watching is the absolute love that I have for the sport. But judges need to start being held accountable for their scorecards.

I think that when there is a questionable decision (especially in a big fight) the judge in question needs to sit down with a panel and have the fight replayed. At the end of each round, the video is stopped and the judge has to explain the criteria he used to score the round the way he scored it.

Then, if his explanation is not reasonable, then he faces a possible suspension. If the same thing happens again, then he faces a second suspension. After a third time, he loses his ability to judge fights.

I think its too easy for a judge to hand in an outrageous scorecard without being held accountable. Fighters train too hard and go through too much in the cage to be robbed by some clown sitting behind a little paper score card.

Most of them fights could of gone either way. It Was a great card. They judging has always sucked. I prefer the judging style in pride where damage made a bigger impact. I had zhang winning as well but I could tell by the way the fight was goin that the judges would pick rose. Colby did much better then I expected as the fight went on. Definitely some good chins on that main card