TRT water retention

Elkpholic

Trusted Member
Good day!

New to this forum but have read a lot over the last few months.

29 years old and have had low T since I was 20. Been fairly consistent in the gym and on and off with diet like most. Got on TRT Oct 10th 100mg per week and it was life changing for libido mood and energy.

now I have always worked out and even with low t kept pretty good mass. My mass would dwindle when I was natty when I tried to cut down weight for the summer. Fast forward to Oct 10th and I get on trt feel great ext except with no change in my diet (3000 ish calories per day) I jump from 225-240 lbs in a matter of 6 weeks. Granted I have had decent gains that are noticeable but I assume most is water retention.

is this normal and how do I combat this?

If you gained 15 lbs in 6 weeks, it wasn't muscle. Yes, most is just water retention. Considering you have not changed your diet or your testosterone dose, this is not normal. Get your hormones tested / blood work - without this info we are just guessing.
If your estrogen is too high, you could be retaining too much water but I would not take an AI without blood work.

There are serious issues that can cause water retention and if I gained 15 lbs, unexpectedly, in 6 weeks I would be making a visit to my doctor and getting their opinion. No sense in listing the causes as I doubt that is the case and I'm not trying to scare you but don't ignore anomalies.
Is the weight gain all over your body or is your face bloated, ankles swollen, or any edema in your feet, abdomen, or hands?

The water retention isn’t really spot specific and I noticed it most on my arms and quads to be honest . My ankles and face are the same.

I do think some of my water retention is likely attributed some over the top leg work outs I have been having. When I went from having low t to normal levels, my legs got really strong, which caused me to work them out harder, which in turn caused some pretty significant DOMS. I think they are holding the most water retention at the moment. Most things feel pretty normal, just the scale number feels a little concerning

I also don’t think my doctor is very well versed in trt. He checked everything but estrogen and my follow up blood work for Jan is only for Total T and lipid profile. Should I try and find a different doctor where I can just order my own blood test?

The water retention isn’t really spot specific and I noticed it most on my arms and quads to be honest . My ankles and face are the same.

I do think some of my water retention is likely attributed some over the top leg work outs I have been having. When I went from having low t to normal levels, my legs got really strong, which caused me to work them out harder, which in turn caused some pretty significant DOMS. I think they are holding the most water retention at the moment. Most things feel pretty normal, just the scale number feels a little concerning

I also don’t think my doctor is very well versed in trt. He checked everything but estrogen and my follow up blood work for Jan is only for Total T and lipid profile. Should I try and find a different doctor where I can just order my own blood test?
Ask your doctor if you can get more tested but he/she is probably going to ask you why so be prepared to answer. I have built up a trust with my new doc and she fills out the blood requisition form and tells me to check off anything I am concerned with and we will discuss it in a follow up.

Most doctors won't do this until you have made the effort to build a two way street relationship but if they are a good doctor and care about you, they won't mind dealing with an proactive patient who wants to take control of their own health.

Good luck

Ask your doctor for the requisition and say you will take it to the lab yourself. Check the box for estrogen and go to Lifelabs as they publish it online. Or just tell your Dr what’s going on, that you have done some research and you’d like to get your Estrogen checked.

The fact that your Dr will give you TRT in your 20s say they are either really lazy and don’t care or are a forward thinker. Most will work with you to sort it out as its a learning experience for them as well.

Ask your doctor for the requisition and say you will take it to the lab yourself. Check the box for estrogen and go to Lifelabs as they publish it online. Or just tell your Dr what’s going on, that you have done some research and you’d like to get your Estrogen checked.

The fact that your Dr will give you TRT in your 20s say they are either really lazy and don’t care or are a forward thinker. Most will work with you to sort it out as its a learning experience for them as well.
The TRT has been a long time coming and I was the one who resisted it. I wanted to try natural things first (over the course of a few years), it was after that I received the option. I would say my doctors isn’t lazy just we have tried everything else already .

I get emailed my lab req however I’m in interior health region ( so no life lab?) the req does not have a click box for estrogen, it must be written in.

I will email my doctor and see what he says.