Training for a Trek (Everest Base Camp Trek)

The_Night_King

Winter Is Here:
Trusted Member
For those of you out there who might be a trainer or have knowledge on Endurance based training. What this guy talks about. Is it about right ?

Im not doing the trek anytime soon, but maybe in a year or two. But I figure if I start preparing now, I should be more then ready. Its a 15-18 day trek.

When it comes to the cardio part. I think I will just put a 10 pound weight into my pack and wear the rest of the gear. But should I set the tredmill on the up and down hill climb ? Or maybe just start with a mid incline ?

I love hiking, but this one will be the most intense by far. There are risk's. Major one being Altitude sickness.

Where do you live? Best way to train is hike Similar terrain multiple times a week, spend weekends hiking 10 to 14hrs. I have zero terrain around me to mimic mountains so I'm stuck on a treadmill to stay semi conditioned for mountain travel. I treadmill with a 40lb pack mostly on incline, i wear my mountaineering boots to keep my feet broken in, but I will switch up and do decline as well.

Yeah as Treneth said, the best training is the real deal. Where are you based?

Start getting out to the mountains as often as possible and going up & down some hills!

Break your boots in well, and be very used to them.

I do weighted rucks all the time, 35-40 lbs for starts, and figure out your pretrip pack weight with recommended gear and start using it 4-5 months prior to your departure.

Altitude related problems are individual mostly, no two people react the same to hypoxia and the increased work on your headset/lungs... if you can train locally like Banff or Jasper it’s a great start to getting yourself acclimatized to working at altitude.

Consider doing cardio runs or cycling at altitude as well, not just weighted rucks.

Break your boots in well, and be very used to them.

I do weighted rucks all the time, 35-40 lbs for starts, and figure out your pretrip pack weight with recommended gear and start using it 4-5 months prior to your departure.

Altitude related problems are individual mostly, no two people react the same to hypoxia and the increased work on your headset/lungs... if you can train locally like Banff or Jasper it’s a great start to getting yourself acclimatized to working at altitude.

Consider doing cardio runs or cycling at altitude as well, not just weighted rucks.

Hey, well the unfortunate part is im in Toronto. So not much as for that style of terrain. Its one thing I miss about living in BC, was all the hiking. I guess I will just have to prepare as much as I can with what Im able to use. Maybe closer to the date, I could go spend some time in BC is say Banff.

One thing im debating is, if I go in winter to Everest then im going to need alot more gear. So am thinking it might be a little better to go there in summer time.

as for boots, what kind do you have ? The hiking shoes I have def wont do the job for a trek like this. I was thinking to get these.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-421/Quest-Prime-GTX-Hiking-Shoes

Hey, well the unfortunate part is im in Toronto. So not much as for that style of terrain. Its one thing I miss about living in BC, was all the hiking. I guess I will just have to prepare as much as I can with what Im able to use. Maybe closer to the date, I could go spend some time in BC is say Banff.

One thing im debating is, if I go in winter to Everest then im going to need alot more gear. So am thinking it might be a little better to go there in summer time.

as for boots, what kind do you have ? The hiking shoes I have def wont do the job for a trek like this. I was thinking to get these.

Re: Toronto - plenty of high rise stairwells available yes? Not exactly the same terrain but imo actually moving your body through space cannot be accurately well simulated on a treadmill. I'm no endurance or hiking expert but I was taught this long ago, there are studies out there to back it up. My interest in it was the difference in metabolic effect between skwatz and leg press. I can't remember all the details but the differences in energy expenditure and "metabolic load" (a term I may have just made up right now :) ) are significant.

Again the key thing was "moving your body through space", I can see this as being very important for this type of adventure.

Good luck, have a great time and enjoy the prep work too.

https://www.sportiva.com/nepal-evo-gtx.html

Those are the boots I use, awful approach boots, great with crampons and kicking into the ice, very durable probably warm enough for anything under 6000m, you don't break those boots in, you break your feet in.

Those look awesome, I am a bit of a sports gear whore, might have to start climbing and hiking so I can fill another closet with cool stuff

Thanks, ya I hear Sportiva is good.. Alot seem to recommend for the EBC Trek. This is def going to be an expensive journey. But one of the most rewarding experiences.

Once it starts I will def make a post and do daily updates :)

Head to Scarborough. Morniingside park has a lot of hills that aren't all that runner friendly. All are intertwined with good running paths that are not paved.
Another thing you can do is head to the Bluffs and start at the Waterfront Trail and work your way down to Queen St. where the water treatment plant is. It is a heck of a lot easier than it was back in the day, because a lot of it has been turned into beachfront, but you can go up and down at will. It's a much different climb than a trek on a mountain, but it will get your gear broken in.

That would actually be a great idea. If I drove, Algonquin park would have some decent trails. Only other places I can think of would be in Hamilton area. The stairs on the escarpment might be good to use.

That would actually be a great idea. If I drove, Algonquin park would have some decent trails. Only other places I can think of would be in Hamilton area. The stairs on the escarpment might be good to use.

Head to Rattlesnake Point.

Good call. I totally forgot about that place. Used to have bush parties there alot when was a teenager hahaha. Growing up in burlington as a teen, you spent alot of time in the bush hahaha.

That last shot tho in this video. To me this is life.

Thanks, ya I hear Sportiva is good.. Alot seem to recommend for the EBC Trek. This is def going to be an expensive journey. But one of the most rewarding experiences.

Once it starts I will def make a post and do daily updates :)

I use Sportiva Baturas for ice climbing and everything Alberta winter has to offer. They would be suitable for Everest base camp in winter but would be too stiff and warm for a summer trek I think.

I used to work in a climbing store fitting boots (climbing/mountaineering/trekking). There are lots of great brands out there but honestly you have to go and try and multiple pairs and see what fits your feet... different brands have different characteristics and fits. Somewhere like MEC would be a good place to start.

Toronto... well that’s where I am now, and fucked if I can see a mountain anywhere near here 🙂

As for boots I would look at Mahmut or ArcTeryx. Not sure what the current models are like, but I have had good luck with both.

Sleeping bag, look into Marmot or MEC carries Western Mountaineering.

Pack choice would probably be an expididtion size from Arc or Mountain Hardware, something that is hybrid top loading with front zip accsess, so you don’t have to dump your pack to get to the bottom.

Toronto... well that’s where I am now, and fucked if I can see a mountain anywhere near here 🙂

As for boots I would look at Mahmut or ArcTeryx. Not sure what the current models are like, but I have had good luck with both.

Sleeping bag, look into Marmot or MEC carries Western Mountaineering.

Pack choice would probably be an expididtion size from Arc or Mountain Hardware, something that is hybrid top loading with front zip accsess, so you don’t have to dump your pack to get to the bottom.

Worth noting that Arc'teryx are the priciest of the bunch, but have great customer service and quality.

Arc'teryx, Mammut, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, Sportiva, Scarpa, Black Diamond... etc etc are all great. Have a look what bargains you can pick up.

I'd suggest looking at Deuter backpacks!

Thanks guy, def some good stuff there.. That Arc-teryx seems really nice. But I would have to say, yes is very pricey and probably for people who do this stuff more frequently. But it looks like I will go to Everest in the May season. So the amount of stuff I will need to bring wont be as bad as the winter months.

As per bag I might just use the 30 L one I have, that I use when I travel around Asia and when I hike in Philippines.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5045-...WIL54SdwoQ_E7uefFYxnY2J74RMxhbgxoCnWIQAvD_BwE

Then when I get to Kathmandu. Ill probably just rent a down Jacket if I need it and the poles. The rest of stuff I been told its wise to just put everything into a duffle bag, and the porter basically carries it for you.

As per the Arc-teryx am really liking this base layer hoodie,, at 170 fabric, it should be fairly decent once i get closer to the base camp.

https://www.arcteryx.com/ca/en/shop/mens/stryka-hoody

Also thinking to buy a solar panel to attach to my bag ? Have you guys ever used one ? If so what brand ? This way I can keep my power banks charging while im in the hike.