The legs of all Legs - Tom Platz

PGM

Trusted Member
When I first saw Tom Platz's legs for the first time all I could do was stare and say F**k me. I could not believe the size, density and definition of his upper legs, even though Tom's calves were exceptional. I honestly don't think I have seen a better set of quads and thighs since then (for my liking anyway), my mouth still drops open in awe when I see a picture of Tom Platz's legs in his prime. And here you go ... definitely an eye popper.

Attachments

• Tom-Platz-resize.jpg
    Tom-Platz-resize.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 36
Have only seen two non bodybuilders that came somewhat close in terms of size.
One was a speedskater and the other a track cyclist.

Impressive physique aside, and it is damned impressive, I was blown away by the shot of him touching his toes. I just assumed that much muscle and mass would mean close to zero flexibility. Turns out, I was wrong.

Was the speed skater Eric Heiden. Some of those guys there legs blow up like mad
Yes Heiden.He leaned over at the end of a race and his hamstring development was on par with Platz and I believe he was at least six foot.Speedskater I talked to with from the Canuck national team worked out with him in Wisconsin.Repping out with 1100 lb leg presses.With one leg.His Wiki page says 206 or so but he was around 235.

Impressive physique aside, and it is damned impressive, I was blown away by the shot of him touching his toes. I just assumed that much muscle and mass would mean close to zero flexibility. Turns out, I was wrong.
tom platz was very flexible in his low body. He could go a hurdlers stretch and touch his head on his knee, amazing. He had to have worked at flexibility and stretching.

tom platz was very flexible in his low body. He could go a hurdlers stretch and touch his head on his knee, amazing. He had to have worked at flexibility and stretching.
And in the evening he liked to ride his pedal machine at a slow pace for about 40-60 mins.

Iirc,he thought the stretching greatly helped
Fibers
Fascia

If anybody knows of an athlete that can squat straighter than Platz let us know.

He did NOT skip leg day. :)
Platz was an avid squatter so no wonder his legs were large. He had a squat off with Dr Fred hatfield (powerlifter first to full squat 1000lbs) ...hatfield beat Platz in a 1 rep max 855 to 765 and Platz out repped Hatfield with 23 x 525lbs ... bottomed out squats, double of what Hatfield could rep. That only makes sense as powerlifters lift in a lower rep range with heavier weight while bodybuilders do the opposite.

Got a personalized autograph with photo for my 40th birthday years ago from Platz...loved the freakiness of his legs and still think they are the greatest ever

Sadly I don't find the longer bench leg extension machines very often anymore.

Reactions: PGM
I read that he did some 10 minute sets ending flat on his back with partials.