Take a number

Sorbate

Board Dumbass
Trusted Member
So I just wanted to ask you guys what you would think of a real busy shop using a take a number system.
We are so busy and have so much staff, that I notice that the staff in order to properly serve everyone usually go thru each customer and ask if they have been serve, so there could be like 15/20 people in the store, and it gets confusing.

So I was thinking about putting the ticket dispenser outside right beside the door where no one misses it and put a sign on it that states.

Please take a ticket or you will not be served.

I will also put one of the signs that show the number that is being served in plain sight of the ticket dispenser so when they pull a ticket they have an idea of how many are in front of them.

Then in the store another led sign posted on the wall and when ready the staff member will call out the number.

It really the only way I can think of streamlining things, we are pushing thru 2-300 people in a day on a normal day, 400 on the weekends and some customers are asked 8 times if they have been served because I have 11 serving staff.

I’m not planning on reducing staff, we need to pound customers quickly, especially with covid, it’s more to help with confusion.

I just wanted some thoughts in case I didn’t think of something.

If you found a good way to manage it, I wouldn’t see having a problem with it it meant getting served fairly and not being looked over in a busy atmosphere.

I could possibly see it becoming hard to manage as well, but maybe better than the current situation? [emoji2369]

If you found a good way to manage it, I wouldn’t see having a problem with it it meant getting served fairly and not being looked over in a busy atmosphere.

I could possibly see it becoming hard to manage as well, but maybe better than the current situation? [emoji2369]
Only issue I see is if someone wants to look around. How do we get them back into the rotation?

Maybe I should take a drive on Sunday. You got a place in mind? This way I could check out their procedure.
You want to rely on my memory? Lol!

I think a little place callTotera does? They used to. It’s on major Mack just west of keele on the north side of major mack.

I think Grande Cheese on keele and major Mack might at the deli as well but I’m not sure.

Fortinos in Maple used to when it was owned privately. Not sure if they still do since loblaws took it over. Last time I was there they actually butchered on site. Again probably not anymore since Galen took it over.

I’ll have to think. Been a long time since I worked down there everyday.

You want to rely on my memory? Lol!

I think a little place callTotera does? They used to. It’s on major Mack just west of keele on the north side of major mack.

I think Grande Cheese on keele and major Mack might at the deli as well but I’m not sure.

Fortinos in Maple used to when it was owned privately. Not sure if they still do since loblaws took it over. Last time I was there they actually butchered on site. Again probably not anymore since Galen took it over.

I’ll have to think. Been a long time since I worked down there everyday.
It’s all good. I mentioned taking a drive with my wife and she said excitedly. That’s 8 hours round trip!

So I’ll do what I have always done and fake it, lol.

I’m thinking anything is better than our present system. It worked great when were not as busy, but now that we are close to maxing out the shop we need a new way.

I figured out how to jam people back into the rotation if they ask for some time to look. Who ever is serving them says, “I will go and serve the next customer then when done will come back to you to give you time”.

If they get a customer who wants like 10lb of bacon 1lb packs then 10 lbs ground one pound packs, then they can ask another staff to catch them for them.

I know I can squeeze in another 30% with some efficiencies, lol. Then that will be my customer limit.

Put a big sign up that say's NO line jumping, anyone caught line jumping will be tarred and feathered. Management.

Then your servers can say who is next without worry of line jumping.

I like the @Taureau idea of greeter and just letting so many people in to keep the crowds down in the store, and when it slows down the greeter can go back in and work.

Use to work as a bartender on a military base on friday and saturday night's ... there were so many crowded at the bar... you say who is next and who ever responded that's the person. It would be that way the whole night. U stick tickets in there the first thing I think of is a government place ... and you don't want them thinking of you as that.

Numbered systems work great as long as its very clear the business is using a number system when you enter.

I've been in places where the number system is in place, but not obvious.. frustrating.

Your returning customers will quickly pick up on the number system and proabbyl really appriciate the effort to keep things orderly and not having people waiting unfairly.

Put a big sign up that say's NO line jumping, anyone caught line jumping will be tarred and feathered. Management.

Then your servers can say who is next without worry of line jumping.

I like the @Taureau idea of greeter and just letting so many people in to keep the crowds down in the store, and when it slows down the greeter can go back in and work.

Use to work as a bartender on a military base on friday and saturday night's ... there were so many crowded at the bar... you say who is next and who ever responded that's the person. It would be that way the whole night. U stick tickets in there the first thing I think of is a government place ... and you don't want them thinking of you as that.
Lol like the lcbo used to be like…. Or consumers distributing!

So I just wanted to ask you guys what you would think of a real busy shop using a take a number system.
We are so busy and have so much staff, that I notice that the staff in order to properly serve everyone usually go thru each customer and ask if they have been serve, so there could be like 15/20 people in the store, and it gets confusing.

So I was thinking about putting the ticket dispenser outside right beside the door where no one misses it and put a sign on it that states.

Please take a ticket or you will not be served.

I will also put one of the signs that show the number that is being served in plain sight of the ticket dispenser so when they pull a ticket they have an idea of how many are in front of them.

Then in the store another led sign posted on the wall and when ready the staff member will call out the number.

It really the only way I can think of streamlining things, we are pushing thru 2-300 people in a day on a normal day, 400 on the weekends and some customers are asked 8 times if they have been served because I have 11 serving staff.

I’m not planning on reducing staff, we need to pound customers quickly, especially with covid, it’s more to help with confusion.

I just wanted some thoughts in case I didn’t think of something.
Hey @Sorbate - great idea but I would not say you won't be served. I would have a sign that says for prompt service and to be fair to all customers please take a number. Just a softer way of getting the message across.
I will never understand why people watch pushy fucks jump lines. I'm not trying to sound tough but regardless of how many of them or their size, I walk up and remind them everyone was waiting before them and to go to the back of the line. Haven't had one person yap at me yet or start an altercation. What makes someone so special they don't wait like everyone else?
Happy to hear your business is doing well!

Nothing angers me more than patiently waiting my turn and somebody who just walked in jumps in front of everybody and gets served right away. It's not the fault of the staff, they're busy and can't keep tabs on which order everyone in the building walked through the doors. It's the fault of the jackasses who feel their time is more important than everybody elses. I would hapily take a number to hold my place.