Stock Market

my issues was I didn’t feel like getting stuck with repairing them if needed be or dealing with renters. Ontario’s laws are crap.
This right here. I have lots of friends in the rental property business and it seems like they always have a full apartment rebuild on the go from a shitty renter who got pissed off and decided to smash every kitchen cabinet and smear their baby's shitty diapers all over the walls. And people will just scream "that's what a damage deposit is for". Well I'm sorry, but that $1,000 damage deposit won't completely renovate a destroyed kitchen. So then you need to put rent up, but there's laws around that too. It can be a real shit show.

You sure the math on that works out? Fees can be tricky, and advisors are trained to breeze over them without going too in depth. Financial advisors can't invest in individual stocks or ETF's, they invest in mutual funds. Depending on their firm and how much you have invested, you're typically bound to the ones managed by their firm directly. Those funds typically have fees between 2-3%. Then the FA's fee on top of that which is typically 1%.

So let's assume the lower MER on your mutual funds, so your total fees are 3%. A common misconception is that this is 3% of your gains, but that's not how it works. It's 3% per year of the total amount invested each year. So even if the market has a down year, you still pay 3% of the total amount invested. There's actually a calculation you can do to show how much of your gains you're actually keeping after fees. It's called the T-REX score.

So on a 10k investment making a 10% annual return (which is above normal), and assuming a 3% total in fees, you will keep only 45% of your gains over a 25 year period. That means 55% of every dollar made from that investment will be going towards fees. So for him to be returning 10-12% AFTER fees, he'd have to be really be pulling in over 20% every year. Which was actually quite normal throughout the pandemic, but definitely not long term. So unless he's Warren Buffet himself, you're likely gaining far less than 10-12%. Realistically, after fees you're likely in the 6-7% range, which as you said, it's still a win.
Mutual fund performance is calculated after Management Expense Ratio fee has been subtracted. If a fund did 10% it actually did 10% plus the MER (Typically 2.5%) so the fund actually made 12.5%